So I filmed a 1 min horror type movie for school

Discussion in 'General' started by Madmike420, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Wanna watch?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7euXFhSUKTc]YouTube - Joanne college horror movie[/ame]

2. It's really like 100 secs long lol!

3. lol funny idea.

all in all as constructive criticism i think you could get some better moving camera shots, as well as possibly throw some dolly shots and handheld ones in there.. the handheld ones make great for chase/horror scenes..

i just got out of my film class at my school.. soooo much fun :]

4. The one thing I can't stand about doing group video projects is when your friends don't commit to their characters.

I used to be in a A/V class way back in junior high. The kids there were a lot better at trying to play their parts, but it really grinds my gears when people just don't bother trying.

The main girl in your video didn't look scared at all, the fake running, etc. really ruined what was otherwise prety good.

If you intended to make the movie without any serious undertones, then I apologize. But I feel that you should have made everyone take their roles more seriously, which would have made the ending stand out so much more.

When you make a dramatic irony, where the audience knows something that the actors don't, which in this case is the missing wallet, the actor really has to commit - otherwise the desired effect is gone.

5. We only had one hour to film, and one hour to edit!

6. LOL the chick is wingspanbig on grasscity aka my girlfriend, and we still only had 1 hour to shoot.

7. She still could have taken the thing seriously, that acting was bush league.

8. #8 Madmike420, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2009
    True that, horrible acting lol. On her behalf, she did work 11pm to 7am as a mold injection technician (hard work) then right after work came and helped me shoot it!

PS I'm the dude in the green zelda hoody!

9. There were jump cuts at 0:17-0:18 and 1:12-1:13 but I liked it a lot it's a good idea.

10. ok thats understandable..

i agree with whoever said she couldve gotten into character a little more.. but i acutally think it was pretty good if you only had an hour for both parts!

we had a project sorta like this.. we had to make a movie with no editing or anything, and we had to shoot each shot in order so you only had one chance to do it right unless we wanted to keep rewinding and filming over stuff

film class got me to love making movies. unfortunately im broke as fuck so i cant afford a sick camera or anything to make movies lol.

11. I know I cringe at every jump cut! It was more of a how fast can you film and edit more then a how good of a film can you make. Thought about throwing some fades or wipes in to cover them up, but that is cheap!

12. I think we found the next steven spielberg.

13. #13 MoonJuice, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2009
    I actually disagree about the camera-work criticism. You ultilized your own style and the film was better for it, I hate when directors get stylistically-derivative, it's often awkward and blatant.

In fact, I'd say the strongest aspect of the film was the style, everything else felt sort of rushed and half-baked IMO. I really enjoyed up to when the camera first panned to the mystery guy in the corner, after that it sort of fell apart for me. I thought you were going to go in a different direction with it but... you didn't.

It's very good for only an hours worth of work though.

A fade randomly in the middle of a scene wouldn't have been more awkward or anything.

14. ya the guy who was the main character was a horrible actor.

15. Thanks for the bump, your awesome!

16. I'm sorry, dude, I laughed my ass off the whole time.

17. LOL that made me laugh.
    I'm not a movie critic, so no comments from me.
    But what was the song? I love classical music.

18. That is the soundtrack from the TV show Lost

19. haha not bad man, especially for 1 hour edit / shoot

20. haha mike, make some more movies for us to watch!!