So, how cold can indicas really get?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Limewillis, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

Currently in my spare time I'm helping my friend turn his attic into a grow room, with only about 30 square feet he doesn't have a ton of room.
    The main problem my friend is having, his attic isn't insulated well. So temperatures outside right now, around 20 degrees, bring the attic temps to around 50 at night.

Since his first grow is all indica or indica dominant hybrids ( I think its around 5 afghan kush and 2-3 white rhinos. )

Now I'm almost certain that the afghan will be just fine, considering its origin, in the mountains... But I told him to worry a little more about the white rhino.

Given the fact he's running 2,000 watts of lights I'm sure the attic will be warm when lights are on, but I'm unsure about night time.
    As I've even made threads on this topic, heaters, Neither he or I feel comfortable putting a heater in the attic since it is a safety risk.

So, 50 degrees...will it kill the rhinos?

2. Not sure about the Rino, I can say I let my room get down to 53 to get my Blue Widow to go purple and all my plants were just fine.. Purple Cindy, White Widow x Ice, Northern Lights and Blue Widow.. Hope that is a little reassuring..

3. I've been reading, and people claim that exposing your plants to that kind of cold could stress the plants to hermie and even slow down growth.

Limewillis, I know that you don't want to put a heater up there, but you guys are working with a lot of space. Something like an electric oil heater set on low with a fan blowing on it would be perfect for your friends situation. They are completely sealed and very safe. The only problem with a heater like that from what I can tell is the electricity required to run it. But if your running 2k watts in lights...:rolleyes:

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Electric-Radiator-BuiltIn-Thermostat/dp/B000TKITLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1260111969&sr=8-1

1000HZ, How many cycles have you run that you expose your plants to such low temps? Have you run though a cycle without letting the temps get below 70f? I'm assuming that the temps are dropping during the dark period, is that true? Have any of your plants hermied? Or maybe just the ones exposed to the cold?

I ask because I am starting a grow in my basement with a sealed box. Temps could get into the 50s in the night down there, so I'm a little worried. I'm running mostly indicas the first time around, so I have some time to figure it out. On my second cycle I'm raising almost all pure sativas though. Durban poison is not going to like the cold.. :( So that is why I must pick your brain.. haha

4. why not run the lights at night and dark during the day?
    That is what I am doing.

5. #5 Chunk, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2009
    I vote for the oil filled radiator heater. I've used one in my attic, I use one in my grow room and my grow tent. They're safe and effective.

6. I have the same issues but mine yesterday was down to 32 degrees. I am running hempys though and every winter this happens. The plants dont like it but they stay alive and actully do ok. My daytime temps are 78-85 and night 32-39 degrees. I wouldnt worry about it. I have glo, kish, thai lights, and og kush and they are all doing fine

7. I've grown them as low as 60 degrees F with great result. It's about how cool can you get them to sprout and veg properly. Consistent low temps are better than fluxating temps at any degree when it comes to plant stress.

8. You let your white widow get down to 53 o_O

Yeah, he was also looking at tip-safe heaters.

Already am, but we just started winter and it got down to 15 last night, he called to check with me this morning and his temps in the room got down to 60- with lights on.

9. No. I didn't say that. It is WW x Ice aka White Castle. Not plain WW. None of my plants have gone herm, they are all doing great, a lot of people let it get that cold in their grow room.. On top of that a plant isn't going to go herm in the last couple weeks of it's life.. My good buddy LBH here on GC sometimes has frost in his room, but really guys. I wouldnt do it if it was causing problems.. I dont do it anymore, I only did it to get that blue widow to get purple, and I sure wouldn't do it with my current setup of hydro buckets.. If you think about it there are plenty of places in the world where it gets down in the low 50's at night.. The Blue Widow likes colder temps, and it brings out all of the red, purple and blue's.. Look it up. I wouldn't do anything to stress my plants, I give em nothing but the best tlc.. I was just posting my experiences hoping to give Limewillis a little peace of mind in knowing his plant would most likely be ok. Now in the 40's, then I'd be worried.

10. I see, I grow white widow and I always find it to be finicky, in fact I'm getting rather annoyed with it lately.