So confused - please help an apprentice

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by tokingnewbie, Feb 10, 2014.

1. I'm new to the smoking scene, in terms of getting hold of my own supply and equipment. I've smoked a bit in the past, but it's always been in social situations, parties etc with someone else's green that they've been generous enough to share. I've only ever smoked joints, mostly green mixed with tobacco.

I've recently acquired some green from a friend who I occasionaly smoke with. Now, I really hate tobacco, so want to get hold of my own water pipe to use at home. But jees, the bong market is so confusing for someone like me who's completely new to the it. I have read through the terms, and have an ok idea of what everything is, but bascially I'm still at a loss as to what to look for in a headshop. I feel like I'd go in and get laughed out the store at my lack of knowledge. So I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice?

Basically, I'm looking for a reasonably discrete bong, nothing massive, (but I don't think I want a bubbler) to keep in my wardrobe. I live with a flatmate, and I don't want him to know I'm taking hits in the flat. I'm thinking glass is the way to go, and I'm not looking for fancy designs. But beyond that, I'm completely confused. Like how do the width of the glass affect the hit? Do I need a percolater, or a carbon filter?

Any help would be appreciated.
    If it helps I'll probs be using it about 3-4 times a week

Thanks

2. #2 glass666shogun, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2014
    Man it can seem pretty overwhelming being you're new to blazing, and all, but it really isn't all that complicated. First off if you go to a headshop, and they laugh at you, they're dicks. The guys at my LHS would never laugh at a customer. Regardless of their experience/ knowledge. That's just bad customer service, and it's rude. So unless the LHS near you is run by assholes I wouldn't worry about them laughing at you.

Secondly, you know you want a bong right, so roll from there. A simple beginer piece is usually a straight tube, with a straight forward six slit perc/ downstem. Unless you have friends who own a wide variety of glass, or have had the opportunity to hit some different pieces it can be a hard decision to make.

Seems like you have a vague idea of what you want. What is is your budget like? What do you THINK you may want see in a piece. Don't worry about ashcatchers, and carb filters for now. First you need to establish what kind of bong you would like.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Just ask at the LHS, I've only ever had good experiences, they're usually very friendly and knowledgeable - don't be afraid to ask questions, it's their job to answer them :)

4. Definitely go with glass man. Also make sure the bong you look at/ buy is at least 5mm thick. That's just the thickness of the glass. Now the width of a bong, otherwise known as the chamber, is going to determine how much smoke you're able to brew up in the bong itself. A beaker will brew up more smoke then a straight tube (usually) because it has more volume for the smoke to build up in.

5. #5 glass666shogun, Feb 10, 2014
    100% agree with Greengal your LHS should be a place where you can ask questions, and feel comfortable. After all we're all in there for a reason right ;) Don't be nervous just tell em what you're looking for, and I'm sure they'll hook you up.

Iv smoked over 30 years ago and the bongs are nothing like the old school rigs. I can see your dilemma.

7. #7 tokingnewbie, Feb 10, 2014
    Thanks for all your responses! And so fast :) much appreciated
    So basically it seems that my best bet is to go into my LHS and ask these questions there. I'd say my budget is around 40-50 euros (so aprox 60 USD). For someone new to smoking from a bong, what length of chamber would you recommend? Where did you all start off? Bearing in mind I smoke joints occasionaly, but by no means often, I don't want to overload my lungs!
    Thanks again for your responses!

Ha, yeah, tell me about it! Sounds like you had it easy

9. another piece of advice is to definitely go into the shop with exactly how much you'd like to spend, nothing more. You can get a pretty decent waterpipe for a first bong for that much, assuming it's the same there as it is here in the US. tell the LHS clerk how much you have to spend, and they'll can show you pieces within that price range. Sometimes even, they might pull a little bit more of an expensive one down and offer it to you at a discount for various reasons. If the clerk mentions anything inexpensive that would fit the pipe well, ask for it to be thrown in if you get it. They're usually pretty cool about that sort of stuff.

as for not letting your flatmate know you smoke in the flat, you can purchase a "smoke buddy". It's a little plastic mechanism you exhale your hit into and it filters all the smoke. It will reduce odor a considerable amount.

happy toking!

10. I got 10 years of smoke in my lungs so here's my 2¢, for a beginner with your price range you should consider a piece around 10in (25cm) tall so it's not too much. A beaker bottom is generally more stable then a tube so you won't worry as much about knocking it over, 5mm thick borosilicate glass is tough enough for a few accidents. You probably won't be able to find a percolated piece for that price so get low ice notches, remember to slide it ice in at an angle as dropping in can damage the notches over time. 18mm joints allow more flow then 14mm, glass on glass is better then grommets that wear over time. Also if your new to bongs don't start with a full bowl, begin with a light half pack to see how you handle it. Treat it like making love to your woman for the first time, gentle at first then when your used to that start experimenting to see what works best for you. I hope this helps, good luck.

Sent from my cloud of smoke:)