So confused - can anyone help me?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by dtrap, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Hello - so I can't seem to wrap my head aroudn lighting. I am an intelligent educated woman ... but for some messed up reason my brain just can't seem to comprehend lighting lingo. I feel like I have totally wasted money on the wrong lighting and now I am trying to figure out how to vent my closet too. Can anyone please offer me some advice (please without sarcasm ... I am trying very hard). My closet is is 3'(w) x 6'(L) x 8'(H) and I currently have a 4' 8 bulb T5. Please help

2. you're going to want Metal Halide and/or High Pressure Sodium. They require ballasts and run about $100-$150 on amazon.com MH is used to make the plants bushy (blue spectrum) and the HPS is used for flowering (red spectrum) but a HPS CAN be used for the whole grow alone.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ok .. so what is the deal with wattage and lumen stuff??

4. lumens is just a measuring unit for light and perceived by the human eye. More wattage, more lumens, and more lumens = bigger buds. What size set up are you going for? how many plants in how a big a space?

5. right now I have 11 plants (9 under the 4 ft T5) and 2 under a 4 bulb T5 ... not all are female. my first attempt I opted to use seeds that I have collected from my local dispensary over time. I would really like to grow enough to make edibles, dry herb, and extractions

6. i'd suggest a 1000 watt. or maybe two. are you actually trying to grow 11 plants, all female? or do you just have 11 cause some will be male?

7. So I am wondering ... If i move the 4ft 8 bulb T5 into the tent - and I move the 4 bulb onto a desktop for clones and seedlings .. then I will have to buy one more light set up for my flower closet... but if I have to spend more money I really need it to be minimal and yet as effective as possible (I also need to set up a venting system - so I trying to figure out what is the best and most cost effectiev way to go where I don't keep throwing money away.

8. I only have 11 right now because I have no idea what sex they are at the moment I have one female it seems and that's all that i know right now

• Like Like x 1
  9. that's what i thought. how many do you plan on flowering at a time. females

10. I am worried that I may not get enough females .. but with an optimistic mindset ... I would like to flower as much as my space will serve

11. how big an area for growing? and do you plan on having a veg/clone room and a flower room, or all in one?

12. i have a veg tent (about 2'x4') and a flower "room" (closet) that's 3'x6'x8' - would it make sence to move the large t5 8 lamp fixture to the veg tent and get a hps system for the closet?

13. yes. or run them both. For the flower space i'd get probably 2 600 watt or 1000 hps lamps. one just won't cover that much. and as for the T5s, i dont know too much about them but that i used a dual one once and my plant was super stringy. granted i had a lot less wattage than you do at the time, and i've seen pictures of grows done with T5's that looked great. you may need to get a couple more for the sides of your veg tent though.

• Like Like x 2
  14. @dtrap..
    Your current 8 lamp T5 4 footer pulls a bit over 400 watts.. That's 400 watts of heat no matter what light form is used and you'll need to control and exhaust that heat from either the tent or the closet..
    I'd advise running a set of plants to finish with your current lights before spending more money on more lights.. The T5s will do the job they just need to be really close and you'll have to work a little to obtain a flat canopy..
    Your tent should have holes and flaps to hang fans and open passive intake holes down low..
    Your closet on the other hand will need modifying with a pair of holes one to admit new cold air down low and a powered exhaust up high.. Some times buying a new door and cutting holes in the door works out.. Others saw holes in ceiling and floor..
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  15. thank you so much!!!!! i am going to vent up through the ceiling as I have done with my bathroom fan .. may i ask one more question .. for my intake hole on the bottom of closet .. do i find a darkroom vent and attach a fan from the other side? can i just get air for ajoining room or does it have to come from outside?

16. outside is better. more oxygen

• Like Like x 1
  17. and yes you need it to be totally dark for the dark periods. even a power strip light can cause problems

• Like Like x 1
  18. how do you keep such cold winter air from killing plants?

19. use a small space heater

• Like Like x 1
  20. thank you so much for all your help!!! I really do appreciate it!!!

• Like Like x 1