So Cal Growers Unite

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by AloeRuss, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Looking good!
    I'm guessing you're looking for straw or alfalfa for mulch?
    If it's mulch you're looking for - we're in Cali bro! Go for a hike - we have so many weeds here that have similar properties to straw. All I do is walk up in the trails with a contractor bag and scissors go to town lol.
    Snip off the seeded tops and cut down low you're good to go.

mulch.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  2. What you going to run this time lab rat? Is jimi still guarding against interlopers or that was the colonel? If you start a new journal let me know

my wig is loose, your stroke is weak...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hey Bruddah sitts!
    Jimi doesn't do shit but breathe in the garage vapors
    Its tha colonel who makes sure if it ain't finger lickin it gets a kickin
    The lineup is
    Kali China (Kali mist x Hunnan) ace seeds
    Panama x Bangi Haze ace seeds
    Guawi (Malawi x Tikal) ace seeds
    Queen Mother (la reunion x congo x Spanish sativa) original delicattessen
    C99 Female Seeds

Journals up homie
    PoiBoy's Sun & Soil Chronicles (in the Dirt Hole)

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Heh heh haha... subbing up!

5. Getting seeds this week. Should be in pots by July 10
    Will I still get a decent veg time out of them outdoor only?
    Any insight appreciated
    I will start more seeds to account for lost veg time...
    I'm I'm Orange county!

6. From my short experience you have a couple options you can put them outside and they will likely flower when the seeds are sexually mature. Or you can extend Veg time with some supplemental lighting. I can flower all year round in West LA including winter but I get bigger better harvests with longer veg + more light of course (I started vegging in the garage but may be moving veg outside as well with supplemental lighting.) Just make sure you are prepared for caterpillars with some BT and green cure for the powdery mildew.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks for your response
    I figured they would flower once sexually mature so I'll plan accordingly and just grow multiple smaller plants to get a decent yield. Been awhile since I've grown but I'll stick to simple organic mix.. any other experience with this question will be appreciated! Seeds are on way. Ordered this morning thru the real James bean company and shipped same day. Should be here Tuesday

• Like Like x 1
  8. hey guys, should i start spraying BT in late veg? or ASAP in veg? I'm in san diego and my plants are fairly small outdoors. they are obviously in veg still. should i start spraying now? or when they get to a certain size? or before right before the onset of calyx/buds??

also, does BT bottles expire? I have had the same bottle of BT for almost a year now. Can I expect the BT bacteria to still be alive?

9. If the plants are outdoors, spray bt one a week. Bt doesn't go bad

my wig is loose, your stroke is weak...

10. We do best spraying once a week. The caterpillars will get deep in to the forming buds where they are to deep to eat treated material if you wait to long in the bud cycle to start treating.
    Green Cure to prevent Powdery Mildew we also use weekly start to finish. Usually a day or 2 apart.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  11. #12931 hakav3li, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    [​IMG]

Hey guys I'm new to outdoor growing and would appreciate your suggestions!

1) I think i have male plants on my hands (especially the biggest one in the photo). I was wondering if anyone has any suggested routines for growing from seed outdoors? Like is it something that you guys prefer NOT to do? Do majority of growers prefer to grow clones outdoors only? Having an unknown gender outdoors is kinda sucky imo, i worry that i might be spending all this time and effort to raise a male. It doesn't help that i am on the sun's schedule and cannot induce flowering any time i'd like it seems. Should I pop seeds indoors, take clones and sex them before throwing them outdoors? would anyone recommend just popping seeds in their final container outdoor? Would appreciate if someone could help me form a strategy in regards to popping seeds outdoors. Would anyone just advise against it?

2) Can someone please clarify the "you can flower year round if you live in california" statements i hear pretty often? I mean some people have told me that's just not true and some people have told me that you can indeed easily flower-year round. I'm not sure which is true. I'd like to be able to flower year-round if possible, without having to wake up at the crack of dawn every morning to do light dep. is this even possible? That would make things easier for me especially when it comes to popping seeds and growing them outdoors. Can someone please elaborate on this topic for me?

3) Toying with the idea of popping more seeds indoor right now to replace any males i might have outdoor. Is it a bad idea timing-wise? Today is July 3rd and supposedly we start flowering somewhere around end of july beginning of august? If i were to get some seeds soaked and germinated today would i have ample time to get them up and running before flowering kicks in?

• Like Like x 1
  12. I'll try to answer some of these questions for you

1) I can only speak for myself - I prefer growing from seed. I have no ability to set up an indoor grow area, so if I use clones it's been from a dispensary. I haven't had great luck growing clones outdoors with an exception or two. You have to time it right and have the correct light schedule indoors going into it.
    There is an easy solution to your problem - use feminized seeds. They work great for me, never had a problem, and seed grown plants have more vigor...they explode compared to clones.
    I start seeds outdoor on my patio. Gets maybe 3 hours direct sun. I'll grow them in a starting mix in jiffy strips or dixies and grow them to at least 4-5 nodes then bring them into the garden and transfer to final pots, right in the shade of the tree line for a few days, then it's full sun time. I'm considering transferring to 1 gallon pots first then into the final containers....another experiment for next season.
    2) You can flower almost all year round. June and July would be hard because of the long days - you'd have to account for that. I grow strictly outdoors and I don't use supplemental lighting or tarps. But with those tools you surely can flower all year.
    Hell, if you grow indoors you can use the outdoors as your flower room....its hard enough to keep clones from flowering. I know a bruddah in Hawaii that does that. Come to think of it BNW does that here in addition to his long season plants.
    3) Depends on how bad you want it lol. Indoor guys do one month of veg all the time - so if you want to get a sizeable harvest, fill a bunch of 5 gallons with soil and pop a lot of beans....preferably feminized so you get the number you're aiming for.
    We're here for you man! At least I am lol

13. These seeds all popped by April 1st - this was taken 7.5 in 45 gallon pots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last year I my seeds popped up June 1st, this is how they looked on 9.22 in 20 gallon pots
    20170922_182705.jpeg

20170922_182711.jpeg

This was a clone planted same time as those seeds. This pic is on 9.19
    20170919_182821.jpeg
    Lame-o

Hopefully I will be yielding 5x+ what I did last year. Learned my lesson - no clones for me anymore. Big pots and start early.

14. Fuck this heat wave

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. last mo pwr bill was $65 this mo $95..all because of a/c..been 100 plus daily for going on three wks..plnts are flwrng but hv slowed dwn a bit..2-3 wtrngs a day for soil..two frz pk chngs for hydro..roll soil plnts out sunrise in at 1pm..heat brings lots of labor

• Like Like x 1
  16. I think I lost all of my seedlings (3 bears og)...but everything else weathered it like a champ, my durban poison was thirsty in it's 50 gallon pot with droopy leaves. The strawberry fields in the 150 gallon didn't skip a beat and didn't even get watered for a week.

17. first rain of the yr shw'd up to relieve the temps..lots of wind too 000_7786.JPG 000_7788.JPG 000_7787.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  18. as growers in California, should we be paying attention to the "Approved Pesticides on Cannabis in California" List? I ask because Spinosad is NOT on the list and I currently have a small thrips presence on my outdoors plants. I've been spraying ahimsa neem oil and BT once a week but it doesn't seem to phase the thrips much.

I know from experience that Spinosad will easily get rid of the thrips but I have been refraining from using it this season because of it not being on the approved list of pesticides on cannabis in california. I also read about how some people have even failed tests when samples of their product were sent to a lab, because of spinosad.

1.) Its not on list of california's approved pesticides for cannabis?
    2.) it causes failed tests with labs that specialize in testing cannabis?
    3.) it kills bees?

can anyone give me peace of mind regarding these 3 concerns i have with using spinosad? I'd really like to eradicate these thrips with spinosad but am not sure why california doesn't have it on their list of approved pesticides, is it possible it can cause more harm than we may think??

• Like Like x 1
  19. are you going to hv it tested..if not use what you want and wash the bud at hrvst.. i nvr see bees around my plnts..approved list of pesticides? i'd take that along wit the chems used in my wtr the EPA has approved wit a ggrain of practical sense..

• Like Like x 1
  20. #12940 Growtogrow, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Well friend those bugs are a bitch.
    I use predator bugs they don't show up on any tests completely safe and their natural green lacewing larvae are great to use when they eat the shit out of everything and they're cheap and they work for food give them a try you ain't got nothing to lose just my two cents worth bro good luck[​IMG][​IMG]

sent sitting in my garden
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2