So Cal Growers Unite

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by AloeRuss, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Morn Woody, I put all my gurls to bed with a flush..think my K's are just about done so they'll only get r/o from now on..gonna break out the microscope at lights on and make a judgement call on how long to go..i'd like to go to amber this time ..your harvest in jars looks great..i got 4 jars from my harvest of one plnt and I've smoked two so far..those humidity pks work great!My one GGA seedling is at 15 days..only one I got from a 10 pk to pop and last time only 2 from a 10 pk so only 2% germ rate..however it's the strongest pot I've ever grown..total knockout smoke so I'm giving it a chance..my real seeds( Royal Kush and Hazardous Creation) are in transit ..weather is weird this week..73 with low of 56 yesterday 65-68 expected rest of the wk and sunny..humidity 32% in my cabs..had to use a/c and humidifiers last nite during on cycle..first time for a/c in two weeks
    gga 2 wks-bud with 3 more wks to go 002.JPG gga 2 wks-bud with 3 more wks to go 003.JPG gga 2 wks-bud with 3 more wks to go 008.JPG gga 2 wks-bud with 3 more wks to go 010.JPG gga 2 wks-bud with 3 more wks to go 006.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. #102 mrsilly, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
    Morning week and a half into flower the girls are throwing pistols everywhere all between 4-6 ft. Looking very happy. It's going to be my best indoor grow to date. I am a little concerned as San Bernardino County has a lawsuit current that would disallow my capability to grow in this area. If the law passes I guess I'm going to be a gangsta lol. Really though it makes it a little scary to post about my grow and also to post pictures. California has gotten so weird about medical marijuana. Really don't know what to expect next.

3. San Bernardino County already has a full ban on outside grows.. The largest County in the Nation and your not allowed to grow what is Legal under state law outdoors ?? Trust me I watch the NORML site to see what going on in Calif silly assed local laws..
    http://norml.org/
    http://www.canorml.org/medical-marijuana/patients-guide-to-california-law
    http://www.canorml.org/medical-marijuana/local-growing-limits-in-California  This one is the most current I've found on what, where, when, how you can grow city by city and county by county..
    If your city or county is not listed follow state 215-420 guidelines..

Anybody else have relevant sites or info on this topic please feel free to post them.. With Long Beach gone asshatoverheels on the subject with the opening then closing then opening then closing of the weed shops.. And now are talking yet one more round of maybe let the shops back in but only in industrial parks.. WTH !!!!!  We can have Liquor Stores every 50 yards .. That's well and fine but don't let them weed shops near me...
    Are they really that big a nuisance to the neighborhood ?? Weed addicts laying in the gutters?? Begging for roaches on the corners ?? I never saw it the whole time I was using shops.. All but one were clean and neat.. Would never know them from any other establishment on the block.. The one rather tacky one was in LA city proper in a rather run down area to start with .. In that respect it blended with the rest of the half boarded up store fronts..

Unlike Liquor Stores Weed Shops are always a Double Blind front.. You can't see anything even if you walk in the door.. A 2nd remote lock door is passed to access the store proper in all cases..

Sorry for the Rant but this is a touchy subject... BNW

• Like Like x 2
  4. Woody the thing that got to me was  security..lots of pot shops get robbed and there's always sketchy types so I like and frequented pot shops that had a guard..armed even better outside..so people don't get ideas..

5. #105 SitnSpin, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
    Shit woody...  looks like its time to smoke at your house?!?

I know, I know, 1313 Bong Hit Ln.  I'm on my way!  lol.

Bovida paks, how do you rate?   :metal:

Just bought me a brand-new bowl.  $6.99 for glass on glass at the smoke shop.

I have to stop tapping out the bowl on the ashtray.  Oops broken!

Pickup my new memory adapter for my camera...  blam!  Time for some movies.

And the dirty dr...  You're going to love the HazC!  I'm totally sold on Ozzies seeds.

My next run is going to be Oz Sour Flaming Cookies, I'm so jazzed!

Mrsilly, I kept this rule about SB county... I don't use the dispensaries.

I only use Riverside county, they are much cooler on the weed tip.

SB county is too flakey, they bring the feds with them on raids.

I haven't been to "any" dispensary in two years

6. Complete outdoor ban WTF!

Hope they don't look in my yard...  lol.

7. I read an article in the past 2 days can't remember where. It said that there is a lawsuit about this. I am not familiar enough with the law to know what that means. I am screwed one way or another if they decide to bust me on it. They can easily look at my electric bill or see the heat signature at night. May have to move to Reeferside.

SnS you are a resident of San Berdu?

• Like Like x 1
    Being the stubborn old guy that I am, I chose to prove Dr. Mengle right the only way I know how. By moving forward without taking his sage advice.  To the surprise of no one at all, the cab is much warmer than I would like.  It runs between 10 and 15 degrees above ambient.  As it is quite cool at the moment, I'm going to move my girl into her new home, but I will definitely have to figure something out to cool down that light.

I do appreciate the advice Doc, I really do.  Nice cab design BTW. 

Happy humpday So Cal!

9. Good Wednesday Morning Southern California !!!! 

Pete..
      Small spaces and hot lights are the most challenging part of getting a small grow or tent-box-closet running smoothly..
    My own 18x18x36 inch boxes with 200 watts of CFL are just adequately exhausted with 110 CFM axial fan.. Any attempt at more then a very simple 1 stage light trap dragged the fan down till the box overheated.. A filter would drag it down to a near dead air flow..
    Best to go overboard and throttle it down once you take any restrictions on flow into account like light traps and filters .. Long Duct runs or elbows all create drag on your fan-airflow..
    http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-GrowBright-%204in-High-Velocity-Inline-Fan this will be my next upgrade and keep in mind I don't run any filters in or out
    1 CFM for 1 Watt of light is not overkill.. Once you start adding in all the drag of a ducted and filtered set up the needs are even greater..

• Like Like x 1
  10. #110 PeterIanStaker, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
    As I said, it was not a big surprise.  I like the idea of putting the light in a glass tube and running it's own cooling.  The exhaust fan can focus on what it does and a separate fan to cool the light can focus on its job as well.  I will also need to figure out some way to stop the reflector from all but killing upward airflow.  Whether that means cutting it down to a smaller size or cutting venting slits into it or some other solution I have not yet noodled out. At the moment, it consumes so much of cabinet, there is almost no air flow getting past it, even with a fan blowing straight up.  I can always move the CFL lights I had in the old setup over as a last resort.

As far as airflow, I'm actually quite pleased with how much air my exhaust fan is pulling through my home made carbon filter.  I may however cut the thickness down from 1.5" to 1" to see if that improves it even more.  As for ducting, in total from the cab to the fan and from the fan to the exhaust point, I have only about 4 feet.  I don't think I can go much shorter and still get the exhausted air far enough away from the intake that it is not simply recycling the same air.

My biggest challenge right now is the Holidays eating up pretty much any time and money I would have to make changes.  Hopefully the weather stays cool until mid January or so :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. #111 mrsilly, Dec 18, 2013
    I saw a post somewhere a blade used a hurricane lamp as a light tube. You could also use one of those grow tubes with 4" fan and filter. If money is tight look for a hurricane candle glass tube in the thrift stores and get creative.

12. PeteS if you exhaust into the same room your cab is in it greatly affects the ambient temps in your cab since you're intaking the same air..if the space is closed room with no window that could be a problem..i vent out the window and intake from the room that has a/c unit under the window..i ran this cab in my bth rm..too hot!
    You hit on exactly why I got rid of that hood..a bonus with a cool tube Is that in so small a space you don't need the reflector the walls ARE the reflector..i got mine used on amazon for around $90..new is around $120 btw amazon is the only place I could find a 19'' cool tube after a extensive search..clip on oscillating fans are $17 there or a mini-usb oscillating fan for about the same..even though I use the mini usb fan I can't recommend the ocilating version..they break very easily and need modification of the angle set before use to not strip the ocilating arm..because you're pulling air out all the time you'll need a mini humidifier and a dehumidifier as well..imo I'd use my CFL rig in there for now because that will work just fine at this time for that little gurl..indoor gardening will drain a wallet fast if you don't plan your grow very carefully but it's hard to know till you know...certain things you can not cheap out on..i'm an old fart too but stubbornness is why I have a storerm full of gear that didn't work out btw the hurricane candle lamp cutdwn to a cool tube..i looked extensively into that as well..the build is very tricky and the guy broke the first one..very labor intensive imo even with skills I can see you have..getting used tube and cutting dwn pancake taper vent worked well as an alternative

13. Every once in a while you read a post and want to kick yourself for missing something obvious. I just read a post that can basically be summed up as"mount the light diagonally". OMG how did i not think of that!!! I have plenty of space. Lol. I suppose i now have an upgrade path.

Sent from Stanford for the greater good.

14. http://forum.grasscity.com/micro-grows/1175723-70-watt-mh-hid-starter-box.html/page-1
    Embarrassing as it is now there is my original page.. With all my screw ups and a whole lot of like Doc says My storeroom of stuff that didn't work out..  While I made a custom reflector for my 70 watt MH lamp the damn thing restricted air flow I finally pulled it and like Doc says let the box be the reflector.. cover the whole inside in Mylar

http://www.bcnorthernlights.com/?utm_expid=38972-17.siFA76dWQ2uPfhz_h0QwhQ.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F or just order up one of ....

Some general tips and info.. 400 and 600 watt units are the best sizes and have the widest selection of lamps for... small units have virtually no lamp choice..
    High Pressure Sodium lamps are by design universal base.. meaning they can burn base up,down,sideways, or any angle you can think up..
    Metal Halide is not so forgiving.. You'll need a vertical, horizontal or universal lamp.. Depending on the orientation of your socket..
    While both lamps can do both jobs they are best left to the specialized jobs the colors are best suited for.. However there are exceptions.. The CMH.. The Sodium crossover lamps.. And my personal frav.. The incredibly wide range the MH lamps come in.. from 2700k way up to the 10k and higher colors..
    The only trouble with MH is the restrike timeout.. But careful shopping will find delay restart lamps or fixtures now negating this issue with the MH lights..
    Or the double style ballasts letting you burn either lamp.. so many choices..

If I missed something please correct me.. Happy Growing BNW
    I shouldn't smoke so much hash for breakfast.. Ya think ??

15. #115 BrassNwood, Dec 18, 2013
    Center drop vertical pendant style is another option.. Doing the plants around it stadium-colosseum style grow

16. PeteS it took me 3mos to build and aquire the gear for my cool tube cab..a month to fine tune..a grow cycle to learn how to use it and what to upgrade and what to discard ( two plnt dwc instead of one with header..co2 not needed)..the thing about not having $ to spend is you soon learn how much prices are inflated on gear that you easily can make yourself..that cab Woody put up is around 3K shipped! I have seen a dimmable 250w ballast (that would work ace!) on amazon but that was a year ago and stuff like that sells out quik..think it was an igrow ballast or an Apollo..

17. BTW PeteS if you click on my sig below it'll take you to my first thread and at the end it'll take you to my current grow..i did a lot of screw ups and the Raid debacle is not to be missed..lol! talk about doing dumb stuff and wot was I thinking?

18. Y'all are awesome. Thanks for the encouragement and advice! I have a lot more reading to do.

Sent from Stanford for the greater good.

19. Yup, Berdoo area.

Fucking cesspool.  lol.

• Like Like x 1
  20. #120 BrassNwood, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2013

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3