So, After 4 months at the gym...

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Sanguine, Mar 18, 2012.

1. I eat healthy, dont like chocolate and sweets much which is a plus haha. Lately Ive been eating a shit- ton of apples and been trying to eat a lot of meat, Im a huge chicken fiend anyway! :D

2. 55% of my calories come from carbs, 35% of my calories comes from proteins, and 10% of my calories comes from fats. My diet is very limited. In the morning i ate organic frozen mixed vegetables mixed with grilled chicken and a chicken wrap with 100% whole grain wrap and some spinach. I get my fats from things like avocados and salmon. I eat steak once every 2 weeks and salmon once a week. Most of my protein i get from chicken and white fish. I have protein powders if i don't feel like cooking chicken in the morning. I also eat things like whole grain pasta mixed with chicken. Kidney beans, a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Every meal i eat is always a well balanced meal with around 60-80 grams of carbs, 50 or so grams of protein and around 5-7 grams of healthy fats. After my workout i have something sugary like a Gatorade or a protein shake with fruits because weight lifting is anaerobic and when you are anaerobic you burn sugar for energy. So after a intense weight lifting session your depleted of glycogen which is why i have something sugary to replace the lost glycogen. Jogging is aerobic which means you are burning fat in the presence of oxygen. Anything very intense like sprinting or weight lifting you burn sugar as energy. Things that are less intense like walking,jogging, and biking you use fat as the main source of fuel.

3. Dude, with all this precise diet and knowledge of weights, you must be a beast? :p

4. #24 The Crafter, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
    Fucking protein shakes. I get more protein from my usual pasta and tuna with a side of two peanut butter jelly sandwiches with muesli in the middle. 30 grams from tuna, 15 from pasta, 30 from the bread, and around 30 from the peanut butter. And I have that twice a day.

I'm not saying shakes are bad, they're a great way to get a good dense bunch of nutrients. They're just not my style. I'd rather make sure my entire diet is suiting my needs, rather than just eating garbage and then two shakes a day to make up for it.

As far as working out goes, focus less on curls and stuff like that and focus on these: bench, squat, OHP, deadlift. Functional strength is much better than just looking strong. Vary your routine, different sets/reps alternating the days. But most importantly, push yourself more than you want to.

5. you gotta confuse your body.

try doing compound exercises. (2 exercises back to back with no rest ie incline and decline bench right after each other no rest)

you want to work out your whole body together it wants to grow together. my buddys hit a plat since like junior year of highschool for us because he never works legs and he always is like "damn i can't get any bigger" and i'm like you gotta work legs and he's just like no fuck that shit. even if you don't want to get your legs bigger atleast work them.

you could do drop sets too. (ie bench 120 , 10 times then 100 , 10 times or as many as you can then 80 for 10 or as many as you can)

you don't want your body getting used to your routines.

6. #26 sirbrandon101, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
    That has nothing to do with compound lifts...

7. are you just looking for a fight? okay you got me you call it something different. over here in RI (and FL where my buddy just graduated from a personal training school) they call them compounds.

OMG HOW COULD THEY USE DIFFERENT WORDS FOR THINGS IN DIFFERENT PLACES IN THE WORLD!?!?!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

8. Compound exercises are multi-joint movements that rely on the coordinated actions of several muscle groups to move two or more joints through a range of motion.

You're confusing supersets with compound exercises. What does your personal trainer buddy have to do with this? I know a few personal trainers and they're far from intelligent. Anybody can get certified.

9. once again you can call if want you want man the world won't end.

and yeah they may be dumb but not in their field of schooling..

all i'm saying is it's a word dude you can call it waht you want.

down here if you tell someone to do a superset they are going to 3 excersises with no rest.

not everyone calls everything the same thing.

10. A superset is a superset wherever you go. I'm just confused why you called it a compound exercise...

11. cause that's what we call it down here man. is it a problem for you? maybe you can run for mayor and have it changed :rolleyes:

12. Yes it's a problem when you're giving incorrect advice to someone who is a beginner and might not know any better.

btw I love Jimmy Hendricks

13. You guys look really foolish you know that right?

• Like Like x 1
  14. i told her what to do because i know it's the same everywhere..

i told him what to do and i put a different name that you do. ohhhh man

15. I dont think we should fight about this because for all of us we should be giving eachother good adivse and constructive criticism :) I like to do drop sets once a week per month. For example say im doing skull crushers and i do a set of 8 then right away you drop the weight by 20 or 25 % and do another set of 8 then drop the weight again and then do another set of 8. This is a very good way to lift but only do this like once a month. IMHO i dont think you should go to bench then right away incline bench without rest and ill explain. When you lift weights you only have about 15 seconds of ATP in the muscle. So when your lifting it should be an explosive movement because you want to work the muscle completely before you run out of ATP. Im not talking about using dumb form and swinging the weights around or anything but IMO weight lifting is an explosive movement. Same with sprinting you can only do it for a cetain amount of time before you need to stop. Both of these exercises are anaerobic.

Read up on anaerobic exercise

Anaerobic exercise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thats why i always say sprinting and weight lifting dont burn all that much calories because the main source of energy is glycogen which is sugar. The reason why you dont burn that much calories is because sugar only has 4 calories per gram. Plus you cant do anaerobic activitys for a long period. Thats why i always say aerobic activitys are what you want for fat loss and calorie burning because they are less intense so you can do them for a lot longer. Also the main source of fuel when doing aerobic activitys is fat. The reason why this burns more calories is 2 reasons. 1st reason is because you can do it longer and the second reason is becuase fat has 9 calories per gram compared to sugar which is only 4 calories per gram.

BTW thanks for the advise DAVID i probably shouldn't do chest and triceps on the same day lol. Im going to switch that up :)

16. If you want to weigh more than 165 at 6"2 than you should squat. Get your squat up to like 250 and you'll see "results".

17. Seriously OP you should be working out your body 3 times a week. Do this routine on monday, wednesday, friday.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZz6MFAgql4&feature=plcp&context=C4cf3633VDvjVQa1PpcFPp4ZNMRKEXweKLjZai231il0TCjyym7qQ=]Home Exercise Program - Level 2 - YouTube[/ame]

You need to start off by working out all your body parts at once. If you have been lifting longer you can get away with working out 1 body part per week. If you seriously spent 50 minutes on each body part it would be way too intense for you. Start by doing a full body workout at home 3 days a week. Then you can move on to doing your upper body 1 day and the next day doing your legs. Then finally when you have experience in the gym you can workout 1 body part per week. Do the routine in the video with dumbells and find a weight thats right for you. By all means this is not a girl exerise. Lol girls should be doing the same exercises as guys anyways. Im not saying girls should be handling the same weight as guys but they should be doing the same exercises. Girls simply don't have the hormones to get as big as guys also unless they are on steroids. Just go buy some dumbells and do this at home and when you get more experience join a gym and do 1 body part per week.

18. BTW once your done this circuit take a 2-3 minute break and do it again. Do 3-4 circuit and your done :)

19. When I get back home and have access to a gym I am going to squat and cycle till I need new pants. My thighs have already grown over two inches in diameter on this cycle tour, I can't wait to squat squat squat.

20. Pretty sure he's referring to 2-handed curls considering the guy is only 165lbs. I don't know shit about lifting and I could be wrong, but it kinda seemed like some common sense bro.