SMOoVE: Purple Cindy: DWC: 400w Growshow

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by smoove, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Nice looking setup bro.

The plants are loooking real healthy.

2. hey when your talking about genetics the male takes on the dominant role and the female takes the secondary role for pheno type. So if the male was indica it would have more indica phenos. It does not lose the female phenos but thay ake a back seat untill it's crossed agian then it will be dominent.

3. great looking plants man! that little yellowing loks so slight and contained to those 2 leafs i wouldn't worry about it unless it starts to spread.

4. Awesome grow man, looks like u know what ur doing for sure!!! So many journals its hard to keep up lol

Yeah the plants look very indica to me as well, strange given their supposed lineage . . . IMO they might not be what u think they are. VERY VERY indica loooking to me.

I agree with AW as usual, I wouldnt worry about the tipping unless it starts to get worse. Shits looking good man, cant wait to see how it buds up!!!

5. That's just not so. Both male and female share 1/2 of their genes in a cross - it all depends on which genes are dominant and which genes are recessive. Has nothing to do with male or female dominance.

6. Looks Great!

I will be getting my Purple Cindy seeds from HGS on Monday morining...woot!

I also ordered a couchlock strain (Big Blue = blueberry + Northern Lights 5)
    ... and a Sativa/Indica mix strain (Blue Widow = WW +blueberry)

You have got me chompin' @ the bit..lol

Your setup is very nicely put together and your plants look SOOO much better then mine did at that stage on my 1st grow... excellent!

* Oh, how do you dump your res, as that was seriously annoying for me?
    - Do you have a drain, use a pump, just hand dump it?

Keep up the great work... you obviously have a green thumb... they look excellent.

The only minor suggestion I would give you (take w/ a grain of salt:p) is to do some pruning so you do not shade over all the future bud sites. It would allow your close together plants to concentrate on the more important budsites... More light to a budsite allows for a better filled out bud and a more potent one.

I have noticed it is better to have a few big potent budsites per plant then many popcorn'ish ones.

However, it is all preference!

Anyway, I am subscribed! :smoking:

7. Exactly...

Cannabis is an angiosperm, and therefore has a much longer haploid (2n) cycle then many plants. It is about a 50/50 split in haploid/diploid life cycle for marijuana.

The microspores that form the pollen grains contain the generative cells that divide into 2 "sperms". These pass the males genetic traits through the air (all of them).

The female's egg nucleus contains megasporangium in each ovule that divide (meosis) and produce 4 megaspores. The surviving one of which forms a female gametophyte (embryonic sac).

After pollination, eventually the 2 sperm nuclei are discharged in each female ovule.

Now is when the zygote will develop into an embryo that gets packages, along w/ food to the seed.
    The seed develops into a mature sporophyte.

Now, during all of this, many things occur within each cell's nucleus on a genetic level.

In plant hybridization, there are the parents that are bred (P generation) and their offspring (F1 generation).

The traits that pass on are dependent upon which allele is donated from which parent plant.

Since each somatic cell consists of 2 copies of each chromosome, the homologous pair has 2 alleles of each gene. Now, they be identical or different!

So, for the 1st gen of offspring, each baby will receive 1 allele for each phenotypic trait. Depending on ratio for dominace, it will look something like Mendel's Pp (where P is purple color and p is white color)... thereby passing purple on to the offspring.

However, the next successive offspring will look like this: PP, Pp, pP, pp and on and on...

*** OMG! I am sorry :eek:

What the hell just happened????

I could have stopped after: "exactly" ..lol anywho... wow... sorry

:smoking:

8. I was lookin' forward to chatting it up with some gc locals, I'm glad you guys stopped by...

I've spent a lot of time over the last few years trying to expand my knowledge of Marijuana cultivation; reading books, endlessly digging through Google, and following many threads posted in various online communities. I've always been an observer but have never meaningfully participated in any community, so posting this grow is a little awkward for me. For whatever reason I always believed there was some underlying rule that you had to really know what you were doing to post a grow show. I've gathered a lot of information but I'm really lacking in practical experience. Just want to say thanks to everyone willing to share their insight and experience with me.

doob3r: Thanks. You grow some quality green man... your last harvest was mouth watering. I have two options for emptying my res. 1. By hand. Just like you mentioned I place the lid holding the plants into an empty Rubbermaid and carry the res 6 feet to my bathtub. 2. A pump. When I start training the plant tops it's going to be very difficult to move the res. I place a nylon sock (pantyhose) on the pump intake so the roots don't get sucked in. The res will hold 15 gallons but I keep it between 13-14 so the roots aren't completely submerged. I don't recommend this setup though, it's a pain in the ass. I really want to install a hose style drain and elevate the res. I've drawn up several different plans to modify my cabinet but I haven't settled on one yet.

eleven357: I'm actually surprised they're so healthy. I guess I learned from my mistakes on the last grow.

sergio: Oh if only it were that simple. :smoke: I've read up a bit on the topic of breeding and unfortunately it's not that cut and dry. When you get into multiple hybrid crosses, like F4 and F5 you can get an enormous variance in phenotype. The plant can take on the characteristics of practically any pheno in it's genetic line. I appreciate your helpful attitude and thanks for checkin out my grow.

AugustWest: Thanks. I was able to get the yellowing under control. The funny thing about it is I'm running the plants at 400ppms now. They're thriving but I can remember at this point in my last grow I had them at practically 900ppms, and I was experiencing what I thought at the time to be deficiencies... now I'm convinced it was toxicity and lockout from too hot of a nutrient solution. 5 plants almost 3 feet tall, and all they want is 400ppms... I'd never have imagined.

gonejah17: Hey gonejah, thanks for the kind words and for checkin in bro. Hey, check out this article I dug up in my archives. (LINK HERE) It's a portion of writeup by DJ Short that discusses his theories on inducing sativa characteristics out of the plant's genetics. In it he states his belief that many of the plants grown indoors with sativa genetics are induced to grow like indicas because of an improperly managed photoperiod and lighting angles... who knew (who knows) also, I was informed by the creator of this strain that later into flowering the plant will really start to show it's sativa. We shall see.

CaliGrower: I agree with you. Dominant traits, not dominant males rule the roost. Thanks for stoppin by.

xelatoth: Good luck on your grows! This strain seems pretty hardy and has been easy to grow up to this point. I wish you nothing but the best. About it being too crowded in there and choppin down some of the branches... I totally agree with you. In fact my plans were 1. to weed out any males as soon as they show, and 2. only keep 1 or 2 females in the closet even if there were 3 or more. In fact I found 2 males this morning so the once dense bush is now only half the size. I appreciate all advice and am always open to suggestions, so... taken with a grain of salt,a couple shakes of pepper and a little dash of herb :smoke: With regards to your question about res dumping... check out what I replied to doob3r. Thanks.

Updates are comin up. Leaving work now and I'll post some pics once I get home. I found 2 males and killed them. Yes... I'm cold like that :devious:

9. I ran into the same res problem so I decided to fit a drainage hole and elevate it as well, but I was worried about proper watertightness and whatnot...

Stealth Hydro makes a sweet res with 2 drainage spouts that have on/off valves and fit larger tubing for drainage or hooking up to expansion sets. I think the res I am thinking of is about $30 including both drainage kits installed and the 16 gallon tote.
    Just a thought...

However, if you are handy you could probably do it yourself to your existing res for like $5. ;)

Just use rumple's bubbler thread and copy the part where he installs the in/out valves

and to save space, you only really need to elevate it about 6" (i.e. some books or bricks)

10. I was browsing through someone else's thread who had pictures about the same size that I've been using in mine. Someone requested that he decrease the size because they loaded too slow on his computer.

So I just wanted to get your opinions on my image sizes. I used smaller photos in the first couple posts then increased the the size in the last few updates. Are they too big or are you cool with they size they are now?

I personally think the smaller photos look cleaner in the post... but it's nice to see the details in a larger photo.. I'll leave it up to you guys... if you even care... lol

11. They are fine for me, but I have a decent PC... so who knows...

Keep the pics coming... your plants are going to turn out great :smoking:

12. those look damn good man...
    i wish someone would post and say whether those look like male or female preflower... or nothing...
    im curious too

13. big pics are better imo, I hate having a bunch od windows open.

Interesting to see if the pheno takes on more sativa traits!!

14. yeah it's pretty amazing.. ive been doing the same with my soil grows lately, and it's been working so far.
    I read one dude's article once and he said that you should feed similar to the way you feed a person.
    A healthy person will feel better after eating a frequent small meals as opposed big giant meals where food is being forced down.
    kinda makes sense. We only eat when we're hungry so the same should go for a plant.

fuck i'm baked..

peace man.

15. xelatoth: Glad you didn't stop at "Exactly" 'cuz I enjoyed your marijuana reproductive biology lesson. Back to the res issue, my closet is already raised about 8" from the floor for the ventilation intake. I'm a DIY kinda dude, so I'll definitely take your advice and review Rumple's tutorial again. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

RedBullGotWings: I can answer that question for you. They weren't preflowers. :eek: I'm still not sure what they are and they still look exactly the same as they did in those pictures. I was able to sex 3 of the plants though, so I'm content to move on. Thanks for the kind words and checkin' out the grow.

gonejah17: Big pics it is. Also if you want to see Purple Cindy show a bit more sativa-like traits, you can check out Earl's Purple Cindy Aero grow. He's got a monster of a plant goin.

AugustWest: Just as it applies to so many aspects in life... I guess less really is more.

Now on with the UPDATE:

Today was a big day.. I found 2 males and 1 definite female. 2 are still undetermined. I pulled the males out and man the closet looks so empty now... a bit discouraging, but I have no doubt that over the next 3 months the closet will be transformed into a tear invoking fantastical frosty forest of resin oozing, crystal glistening sweet smelling absolutely perfect Purple Cindy colas! :yay: No... I don't have high expectations. :smoke:

Feb 28 - Here are a couple shots before the males were pulled:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a couple Male and Female flower shots. (The male flower in the picture is very underdeveloped looking but there was a very developed male cluster on another node that I just couldn't get the camera angled properly to capture)

[​IMG]

The Female: Yaaay!

[​IMG]

And here now... is the barren looking closet. Some of the leaves are a bit disfigured because they were underneath the canopy getting smashed up against branches and not receiving very much light. Yes, it makes me sigh a little to look at the pics from before the males were pulled... compared to now. But... As I previously stated, the future is in mind and it looks very bright.

[​IMG]

A couple notes:

- The 2 males were the largest, fastest growing plants of the bunch. Go figure.:rolleyes:

- The UVB lamp has been up and running for a couple days. I'm exposing them to such short periods that I haven't noticed anything as a result. Over the next few weeks I will be increasing the exposure length in increments while decreasing it's distance to the tops of the plants.

I'll post the next update once the 2 remaining plants show their sex. Thanks for all the support guys.

16. you have some really healthy looking plants man. That area shuld fill up nicely for ya.

17. killer plants dude, also killer camera skills on those male and female flower shots

18. As far as the males go... Unfortunately, it is usually those interlopers that show the most vigor. :(

I like the UVB light... I was considering a reptile one for my grow (journal will go up tomorrow). Keep us informed on how well it works!

I am keeping my fingers crossed for the remaining plants to be long-legged women ;)

19. I like ur thread man, and I LOVE those fatty leaves!! Whatr u gettin 11 fingers on those???

Sryy bout the dude but ull have that area filled up with lovely ladies in NO time!!!

good shit man!!

20. So what is that uvb lamp sposed to do to your plants? Ive never heard of it before. Your grow looks amazing lets pray for purple! I just ordered super haze from highgrade and hindu kush I will be making a journal Of my outdoor grow on there forum so look for it around april.