SmokingTree's Diesel Ryders - 400 Watt HPS - DWC

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by SmokingTree, May 7, 2011.

1. #81 RedEyesGrnThumb, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011
    You can use it in reverse also...it would be in your control bucket to tell the pump to come on to pull water back into it.

Although, after thinking on it a minute, this may create an uneven water plain...a constant raising and lowering of the level. So...maybe I should shut up right now :smoke:

*I'm trying to help but also just burned some new dank, so forgive me if I am incorrect*

OK, I know I'm kinda rambling sorry!

Tomorrow I will try and set my buckets up elevated to see how that affects the drainage. If it's still all about weight of water and gravity then they should technically still retain a manageable water line. If this is the case, then your res outside the tent will be your control, depending on how full it is. I believe in those vids of the systems, the float valve actually controls the amount of water in the control bucket, not the system itself. At first I thought you would have to formulate what pump would flow the correct amount of water to set your water level...this to is flawed because you will want to change water levels at certain times, and that would require a fairly adjustable pump.

I hope this doesn't sound completely stupid right now, and it helps, if not...my apologies!

2. #82 MrWeeds, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I will take a few pics of mine for ya..., when I do water change tomorrow

3. well- the reason im lost on this part now is because the pump should be running at all times....

4. much appreciated, please do.

5. these aren't the best pics, but i think you will get the idea :)

top view
    [​IMG]

under the hood
    [​IMG]

a pre-dated top view (while still under construction)
    [​IMG]

now plz be patient if the pics dont work, been havin trouble posting em recently, i thinkk

hope these help

Puff Puff Pass

6. Just lettin you know I have been reading and checking out this success! I like the grow buddy.
    -Bug

7. Congrats man they look great. They took off quick in those bubble buckets, mine were stuck in the rockwool for just over a week cause I had so much trouble with my res. I can only hope to see the same growth. Keep up the good work!

8. yup, pics didn't seem to post :(

9. Reduce the size to half of the original. Also sometimes after clicking to upload it might take up to 60 seconds for the pics to get accepted and upload....

10. Updated Bud Pics!!!

I'll have to snap a few shots with the HPS off for the next round of pics.

Attached Files:

11. It looks like the hps is off in some of these pictures. I just love those bubble buckets in action, it looks like a tropical rain forest in there.
    -Bug

12. Nope, all those shots were with the HPS on... I also need to get some better angles on the next round too, as the overhead view doesn't really show you how much the bud mass has increased since the previous pic update...

13. Ok- I gave the girls a few hours of sleep this morning, mainly so that they could sit in co2 by having a break from the fan... So of course I took the opportunity to take some pics while the light was off. Still nit super pleased with my photography, but hopefully these pics show more than yesterday's.

Additionally, this allowed me to take note of some possible burning around the outer edges of some fan leaves that I didn't see before. My guess here is that my ppm's have gotten a bit too high (guessing since no one asked me for my amazon wish list to hook me up with a ppm meter). So I plan to feed back plain RO water a few extra days between now and next time I add nute solution.

Attached Files:

14. Lookin good! seems as if we are on the same timeline...

15. #95 SmokingTree, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2011
    Hey Guys....
    Woke up today and grabbed a couple jugs of water to go add back what they drank yesterday... umm, they seem to have been extra thirsty because they drank damn near everything, both buckets...

WANT YOUR FEEDBACK HERE:

Upon adding back today a film/foam appeared on top of the water as I was filling the buckets... Do you think this is the start of root rot, or do you think its the salts from the GH that had all settled when the water level got low overnight?
    Should I give them a dose of peroxide??? If so, it will be drugstore peroxide, not concentrated stuff from hydro store - so if you're voting yes on the peroxide, then also include your suggestion as to how much.
    These ladies only have a couple more weeks of maturing left, so last thing I want is to shock them into minute hermie's or have them dying off before they've hit their trich potential. I could (BUT IT WOULD BE A GIANT TASK, AND REQUIRE A HELPER) lift the plants out, spray the roots, and clean the buckets... but I'd do just about anything not to have to go through that.......Lay it on me gang!!

16. Ive read a low dose is 15ml of the 35% concentration stuff per gallon check the link below. I will be doing this once my roots grow up a bit to decompose some of the organic mass and help oxidize the water. The film may just be a little harmless algae. Also dont spray the roots just rinse them in a hydrogen peroxide solution.

Hydrogen Peroxide - What's it all about?

17. Getting close!

Attached Files:

18. hey man i have question what does "DWC" mean?

19. #99 SmokingTree, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Means "deep water culture". A method of hydroponic growing where the plants root mass is submerged in nutrient solution, with oxygen provided by pumping air into the solution through a diffuser or stone.

20. And closer....

(will post next batch of pics with the hps on, although we get better color with it off, it's hard for the camera to focus in the dark pre-flash)

Attached Files: