Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking with someone who is HIV+

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by CowboyPete, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Hi, as you can probably see I'm new to this whole forum site...but I had just a quick question and I was hoping someone on this site could fill me in.

Look, I know this is going to sound stupid but when it comes to a serious subject such as this I get a little over-protective and worried.

How easy is it to contract HIV from smoking with someone who is positive? Like say you're smoking out of a pipe, or bong, or such...you really can't safty proof that can you?

Thanks for the help you guys!

2. not sure but i guess it could happen from mouth saliva. just hold the bic up to the pipe and burn it dry.

3. I really really doubt it, i dont think it can be spread besides if a mother with aids gives birth to a baby or sexually, This site is great for many questions but u might wanna try another one for that question

4. I'm pretty sure HIV can't be spread through salivia, but it wouldn't be something I would risk by asking a bunch of stoners on an internet forum. Make sure you know you're gonna be ok, otherwise it isn't worth the risk whatsoever.

5. i definitely think this is the place for these kinds of questions...surely other people have wondered the same thing.

for detailed info check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiv#Transmission

basically, this is what it says:

hiv travels best from blood to blood (like needles), mother to child, or sexually. interesting note, hiv is not transmitted 100% of the time in any of these methods.

now about your question: hiv is found in low concentrations in saliva, tears, and urine but the risk of transmission through these methods is negligible. i have read elsewhere that when transmitting through saliva the only thing to really worry about is if the hiv infected person has a sore, bleeding gum, etc....some kind of open wound anywhere in his mouth. even then, to substantially increase the risk of infection, you would need an open wound in your mouth as well, thus the chance of blood to blood infection is increased.

basically, to be completely safe i'd say do something like roll two joints, one for you and one for him. or just make sure that he doesn't have any sores, and practice good smoking etiquette by not slobbering all over whatever you're smoking from. i'd suspect he'd be understanding if you asked him to do any of these things.

6. This.

7. What they said, but just for fun...in HS I was told by a science teacher that you would have to drink a 4 litres (over a gallon) of saliva from an infected person for there to be enough of the virus to infect you. I canot verify this for you, just thought I'd share...the thought kinda grossed me out.

8. If you're THAT worried, smoke a joint/blunt and handbong it.

9. I think my health teacher said you have to have like 1 gallon of the other persons saliva in your system for you to be infected.

So if you slobber like a dog...maybe? lol

10. why risk it? i'd say each of you roll a fat dutch and blaze that shit

11. dont risk it, just get some of their medical shit (assuming thats why your smoking with them lol) and just use your own peice while your around him just dont give whoever you smoke with a bj afterwards and make sure they dont start bleeding on you

:D

12. Hand bong God damnit! (Assuming you're using a joint or blunt)

13. i wouldnt risk it.

i would just roll two different joints/blunts.

14. You can't get the virus from sharing the same straw as someone so I don't see why you would get it from sharing the same pipe. But if you don't want to risk it jsut do like what the guy above me said, just like roll a couple j's or something.

15. yeah its impossible to get HIV through sharing blunts, as long as you guys don't ***** lip it (why would you) then its all good. you do have to drink a gallon or something. i had a health group come to my school once before and explain. no worries

16. I don't see a problem if you were to bong it.

17. nah you can't get HIV through saliva.

I wouldn't recommend shotgunning, either. :smoking:

18. Sorry if I've misinterpreted, but I find it incredibly ignorant of you to assume that the poster is only smoking with this other guy for his medical marijuana, just because he has HIV it doesn't make him any less fun to hang around with.

Now on to the question, I wouldn't worry about it to be honest, the chance of contraction via saliva is incredibly low; out of 500,000 cases of HIV reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), none resulted from sharing saliva.

Toke on. :hello:

19. Mostly butt sex.

Hahahahahahah.

20. Actually it takes like 2-3 gallons of HIV positive saliva to contract it.. you're safe, don't listen to a lot of the people on here, they are just guessing. Unless you're having sex with this person, or somehow making contact with an open wound, you'll be totally fine.