Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking with Dad for the first time (ex seasoned toker)

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by BA, Apr 22, 2011.

1. #1 BA, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2011
    Alright, so if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it.

Here's the story, I'll keep it short.

My dad is an ex seasoned toker. He grew for 15 years and was a daily smoker from age 15 to around 30. He's 57 now and hasn't inhaled any type of smoke since he was 40 (the last time he toked up)

He told me the last time he smoked that he was stoned for 3 days (I called bullshit). He's been gradually showing interest in smoking again, always bringing it up around me when i'm back from college and such. We actually had a conversation about my mom and the painkillers she got for her dental surgery and his exact words were, "screw those painkillers, just get me some weed."

Last weekend my dad was drinking and texted me saying that we should smoke this weekend...I thought he was just drunk and kidding around but the next day he told me that he was serious!

So my question is kinda directed at the older tokers out there. What should I smoke with my dad? Joint? Pipe? Bong?

Also I need to know what strain would be best for him...im not a medical patient (yet) so my choices from my dealer are

Super Silver Haze
    Durban Poison
    Champagne Kush
    OG Kush
    Skunk #1
    Bubblegum

I was thinking something more on the sativa side since that's probably what he smoked back in the day.

Again, my apologies if I posted this in the wrong forum. I just figured the older tokers could offer more insight on this. Thanks again.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that he has slightly high blood pressure, nothing crazy though. From what I understand that's pretty normal for a guy his age. My heart rate seems to slow down when I smoke but I feel like that's different for people with no tolerance.

For the record I put this in seasoned tokers because I want real responses. Not a bunch of 15 year olds that don't even know one strain from another.

2. go for a pipe! skunk #1 will sort him out good.

3. my votes for the durban poison. iirc, its a straight sativa, which would be good. im my experience, people with low tolerances tend to just fall asleep with dank indicas

4. #4 BA, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2011
    Yeah, I was leaning towards either Skunk #1, SSH, or DP

The super silver haze is fucking sweet, dankest of all the strains I listed. Super headrocker.

The skunk is more of a mellow high...nice mellow sativa high with a little body high. I might go with that.

I haven't tried the Durban Poison yet though.

edit: while it would be hilarious to see my dad all kushed out, i don't wanna hurt him lol

5. or throw up

6. Eh I'm not worried about him puking

I just don't want him to freak out ya know? I know he told me he used to smoke a lot of really good hash from overseas, so i'm sure he is at least kind of accustomed to high quality stuff. Even if it was many many years ago...

7. If what your dad tried was the wonderful hash that we use in Europe (grown and made typically in Morocco, middle east or occasionally Asia) then, when its good stuff, it can be proper strong (with intense Indica body euphoria and often (especially for hybrid strains) vivid trippy visions. So yeah he should have had some intense sessions. I would say go for a strong Indica strain as they are more relaxing and euphoric, especially for newish users.

None the less, i reckon regardless of which strain you choose, just start slowly and pace it. He will quickly remember all the old sensations. And then he can choose how much more he wants, as you both continue smoking. His tolerance will be back to what it was like you when you first started (hence will need a lot less than you potentially). When I had a 7 year break, my first session back was like I had never been away but my tolerance was very low.
    Also is he a smoker? If he doesn't smoke then its been a long time since he has actually smoked. Hence I advise a bong as its less intense and a lot easier for virgin throats and lungs. I'd love to get my dad smoking but he's now 67 and its been 20 years since he last smoked.

8. If youre smokin with pops for the first time, i would roll one up...hitting the bowl interrupts the conversation, like you gotta stop and take a hit...smokin a joint would be super chill..its a great feeling to pass a lit joint to dad(especially if its your treat of dank)..its a great time to bond and get to know the side of your dad you normally wouldnt get to see...i would twist some og and sesh out with your padre. happy tokin

9. my dad always talks about how he used to roll crazy joints, and how much he used to love them way back when, so i say roll one up for him. and ironically, i think me and my dad are going to be smoking for the first time this weekend.

10. I'd go with a pipe, and maybe try to give him an indica type strain so he has something different than he had back in the day:smoking:

11. If he also experience a level of pain I would still stay with a slightly higher Sativia to indica hybrid. Bowl or J should be good either way.

Hope the sesh is truely noteworthy, have fun and props for tighting up dad. :smoke:

12. my dad is Bout your dads age. when he got back into smoking a couple years ago he was like 55. don't take it easy because he will inevitably compare it to back then. get some chronic shit, i know thats what my dad went for, he always wanted the dankest shit.

idk about your dad, but mine always liked to keep it simple with a small pipe. he never wanted to use my bong or vape. id say go with a simple pipe or papers.
    up to you though, you know your dad better than any of us

13. After you and Dad finally toke one:smoke: :smoke: , click that first link in my sig and tell him to just read the titles! It will blow his mind (in a nice way)! :eek:

(I toked with my Mom in the late 1960s :D )

Granny :wave:

14. I was away at college for 4 years never came home... I started smoking while at college and haven't stopped. I had a feeling my mom and dad smoke but didn't make a big deal out of it. I graduated college and came home with some sour d. When i was pretty drunk with my dad I approached the subject and BAM out came everything he had. We started swapping different strands from Colorado and Cali (where i went to college) It was and still is some of the best times I have with my dad. Even out on the boat we both have one hitters and have a great time. Enjoy man a lot of peeps cant do this because of uptight parents...hope you have a blast!

15. I would go with the pipe, maybe a bong. Anything glass really.

When I first smoked with my dad I would always roll joints because thats what I thought old people liked to smoke haha. My dad asked me why I always smoke joints and I told him that I thought he liked them.

He then went on a rant about how if youre going to smoke you should smoke out of pure glass pipes only because all other types are less healthy.

Pipe it up, lol.

16. My dad has known for a while that i toke and my mom just recently found out (though she's been suspecting it for a while). He used to blaze like an O a week in highschool (the 70s) and got into some harder shit till he got clean. He still blazes when someone offers but never buys his own, so I plan on rolling up a fatty when we go camping this summer and "going fishing" with him :D

17. OG Kush
    Skunk #1
    Super Silver Haze

All good choices.

18. he going to like something new go with a bong and some haze

19. Recently had a very similar situation, if it helps my pops likes a glass pipe and OG Kush.

20. Champagne! I got it now its bomb