Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking with CHS (cannabinoid hypermesis syndrome)

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Type1cory, Jan 16, 2017.

1. So I looked into neem oil... funny that side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarhea, dizzy and light headedness. Add in the fact that ganja treated with neem oil is smoked not eaten so it isn't broken down through digestion and detoxified by the liver. I wouldn't be surprised if neem oil is fucking people up...

On a side note, I was reading oil from seed has more of the toxic effects then the other parts of the tree. I know I too have had issues in the past with some ganja I have smoked.

2. Can someone explain what neem oil is?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Bro, you're spitting mad ignorance. I signed up for an account just to respond to you. I can't blame you, I saw this shit on the news years ago and was like FAKE, another attempt for doctors/media/society to make weed out to be evil. Refer madness part 2. Then it happened. I've been smoking since I was 16, just turned 30. I started throwing up on a Monday, left work, thought it was a stomach bug. Continued into Tuesday, Wednesday. And I mean dry heaving for hours on end, worst nausea ever, any anti-emetic my doctor called in, even Zofran which works on Cancer patients after Chemo didn't do shit. Wednesday I was admitted into the hospital for Kidney Failure due to dehydration. They are onto it now and asked if I smoked. I replied yes. They diagnosed CHS and told me symptoms would go away if I quit smoking. I kept smoking, kept throwing up. Ended up bag in an urgent care to get fluids. It was the hardest decision ever, but was like fuck it this is so bad I have to try anything to get it to stop. After I stopped smoking symptoms went away in 3 days. I quit for 2 weeks. I construed every reason up in my head on how this couldn't be pot and this was just a major coincidence. I probably had Chronic Vomiting Syndrome, a bug, food poisoning. So convinced myself if I started again it wouldn't come back. Brought the Roor back out and started smoking. GOLDEN, no vomiting. Smoked my usual 6 rips a day for the next 3 days. Woke up day 4 of smoking and BOOOM it was back. Vomiting, constant, dry heaving. Went through another episode. At the end of this whole thing I went from 180lbs to 150lbs. I knew it was the pot. Quit and have not experienced a reoccurence.

I smoked everyday since I was 16, massive quantities of medical marijuana. I was high all day, all the time. When you say, " It doesn't exist and you had a bad reaction to THC and can't handle yourself just like everyone else with this "supposed" disease" . LMAO straight ignorance. I never had a "bad reaction" until CHS. I loved weed, never paranoid. The only time I was paranoid is when I couldn't find weed. It sucks that there's a negative side effect to smoking heavily for 15 years, it really does. But don't deny it's existance. You just sound ignorant. The prevalence of every day smokers today in 2018 is about 20x the 1990s with much higher potency marijuana. I'm guessing there's people who experienced this in the 1990's but they were probably diagnosed with Chronic Vomiting Syndrome and just recently the connection was made with marijuana. Stop spitting ignorance. You're a fuc kin moron.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. The problem with claiming its just chemicals from the grow and not cannabis itself is, people have consumed all sorts of cannabis, eddibles, pure THC, when they have CHS and they still get sick. So its the THC and not the chemicals.

Sorry, but there is no proof CHS only cropped up now. CHS has almost surely afflicted us for a long time, but it was so rare and just unnoticed. That is all.

CHS is real, and it occurs from the actual cannabis. CHS lines up with the idea that the body simply becomes desensitised to a certain pain receptor.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hello everyone! New user here! I joined after reading bits of this thread and seeing no mention of topical capsaicin cream.

TL;DR: over the counter Topical capsaicin cream is really good treatment for CHS!!!

Here’s my quick story. Started smoking every day around November 2017 and didn’t stop until nausea started occurring around the beginning of this month, June 2018. Unfortunately symptoms coincided with me taking antibiotics and anti-inflammitories for a lung infection, so at first I thought it was that. I decreased my THC consumption (I do wax and bud) but only due to giving my lungs a break. Towards the end of the meds I started smoking and getting nausea, and even threw up a couple times. It first occurred to me that I might have CHS when I took a hot shower and my intense nausea was immediately subdued. Tried smoking a couple more times here and there but I would start to feel the nausea come back and it was very unpleasant. I hate nausea/vomiting more than I love weed so the solution seemed simple, but my stomach never had PAIN like everyone else. Sure I was very nauseas, but never experienced stomach pain, so I did some research.

Here’s what I found: capsaicin as a treatment.
    Has something to do with the TRPV1 receptor in the brain, gut, and skin. Its use is very anti-emetic, and is activated by heat, THC, and, you guessed it, CAPSAICIN. If you smoke too much that receptor actually stops working properly and can actually reverse its effect when exposed to weed. It can get desensitized to the weed and cause nausea and emesis, and generally “alter gastric motility” whatever that means. That’s why hot showers and baths work so well at temporarily relieving symptoms of nausea and vomiting. The heat is detected by the skin and activated the TRPV1 receptor properly, making you feel better. HOWEVER, TRPV1 receptors are also in the mouth, and are responsible for the burning sensation you feel when eating hot peppers. Hot peppers contain capsaicin and they activate the TRPV1 receptor just like heat does, and just like weed is supposed to. So the solution that I’ve found?

Well this morning, I woke up feeling ok, so I smoked abt a quarter of a joint. The queezy feeling came back, so I decided the quorelation is there. I must have CHS.
    So I went to CVS this morning, got the capsaicin topical stick (.15%concentration ) and I applied it around my belly button. Within the hour the capsaicin targeted the TRPV1 receptors in my gut, and nausea began to go away. Just took my second dose like 4 hours later, and nausea is gone completely. Haven’t tried smoking again, but I’m gonna continue this because I’m actually hungry already with no fear of eating. Anyway my question to you guys and gals is, have you tried capsaicin cream? If so how effective is it?

Also word to the wise, CAPSAICIN BURNS. So if you are willing to try it, keep in mind that the skin will burn for a bit and probably get red. To counter that I put Greek yoghurt on the same area as I applied like 30 minutes after I applied it to ensure as much capsaicin as possible could be absorbed. Just like yoghurt relieves a spicy mouth, it did wonders to alleviate the burning for a while. Starting to burn again now, so I may reapply the Greek yoghurt lol.

To anyone else suffering from this, I feel your pain!!! I thought it was fake for a while until I experienced it myself.
    Good luck to all who try this!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hi y’all
    I have been smoking since I have been 18. I’m 46 now.
    5 years ago I was getting sick every 3months. I would vomit for 12 hours ever 15 minutes.
    Over the years my sickness would happen more frequently and I was smoking more frequently.
    Fast forward to this year I was getting sick every 2 weeks and for some reason or another I found myself taking 5 hot hour long showers the day I was sick.
    Went to doctor to see what the heck was going on. I was given an ultrasound and antacid medication. They didn’t find anything in the ultrasound and the medication didn’t help.
    I found myself getting sick mostly Monday mornings(I would smoke many bowls over the weekend)
    One month ago I was sick for 2 days straight and lost 20 lbs.
    I went to the er as I needed an IV to get fluids in me. The ER doctor told me I may have CHS.
    It’s been a month now since I have stopped and I feel great. I have not felt sick once.
    I am sick over the irony that weed will be legal in Canada in October and I can’t smoke it.
    I pray they come out with a new CHS friendly stain of weed so I can enjoy once again.

8. And I grow my own and get it from other buddies that grow in fields near their house. I don’t buy from these new weed stores so I can rule out pesticides and need oil.

9. I started smoking when I was 15(now 29) and I didn’t start gettin any symptoms until I was around 20. I would smoke everyday all day, I mean heavy use. I went to the er several times and they always said it was just gas.. this past year it had gotten worse when I started smoking high quality bud from Colorado and pure distillate and wax.. it wasn’t until several months ago that my gastroenterologist made the connection between my heavy use and CHS. I had two CT scans, an endoscopy and they all showed nothing physically wrong with my internals, no damage to my stomach lining or anything. My doctor mentioned that there was a high probability that it was CHS. If I had not gotten all these tests done, including 24 hour UA and blood work, I wouldn’t have believed him. Even after all that I was still a bit skeptical until I completely stopped smoking altogether. After I few days of not smoking I started feeling better, now two months later I’ve never felt better! I can eat anything I want now without fear of going through another episode of CHS. I have no idea if it’s the actual thc, cannabinoids, or the chemicals used in growing cannabis, but this syndrome is very real and you won’t believe it until it happens to you. I’ve been toying with the idea of trying to smoke a tiny bit to see if anything happens because I honestly enjoy being high and would like to be able to toke at least a bit here and there, but I’m a little afraid to try. I don’t want to not be able to get high ever again because that would just suck. I’ve always been pro cannabis and always will be, but CHS is not something made up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Female, 22
    5’1 118lbs down to 105lbs in 3 weeks

Started smoking in 2015 and never took a break. Got a vape pen 2 months ago and started smoking a gram of wax a week.
    Heard about this and found out it takes 40oz of marijuana to produce 7g of wax (again, I was smoking 1 gram a week- equivalent to almost 6 ounces of flower)

So yeah I’m f*cking sick as HELL.

Used to it feel better for two weeks before I heard about CHS.
    Now I’m starting to feel better because I stopped smoking and with promethazine/zofran combo, but I still can’t eat anything other than soup and crackers.

***This is real. If you don’t think so, go get a pen and smoke a gram of wax a week for 2 months and see how you feel.

I did go to the ER and appendicitis was nearly ruled out as I also get ovarian cysts- so they kept me on antibiotics for appendicitis just in case (it can be treated if caught early on).
    So that mixed with a shit ton of pot still in my system and I still don’t feel too well.

I really hope that I can eat regularly again without medication soon.
    I really hope that I can start smoking again safely. I have barely smoked in a week (two hits in a week and I did feel bad the next day after both).

I will try to wait 2 months before I start smoking again, so hopefully I can stick with just the flower and not have a problem.

I did not have a hard time stopping use once I realized this is what it was.

*****For you skeptics, 2 doctors diagnosed me with CHS. One was my pcp and the other was an emergency room doctor. Different cities. Read a study for once.

Propaganda my f*cking ass. You really think there is no way you can smoke too much? I’m tiny. 5’1 little girl. Smoking alllll day super concentrated stuff.
    If too much water can kill you (which it can), then too much weed can certainly make you sick.

CHS will not kill you, but if left untreated and symptoms persist, the effect of CHS can lead to problems that can lead to death (such as your stomach rupturing because you throw up multiple times a day every day for over a month).

• Like Like x 2
  11. What I mean is there was fluid between my ovary and appendix which indicate either early onset appendicitis or a ruptured ovarian cyst.

12. I’m really glad there are some people in this world who are capable of research and admitting if they were wrong.
    Thank you for that.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Reefer madness still ensuing

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. It happens sometimes. The good thing is there is a cure to past stupidity. Lmao. I just wish I wasn't such an asshole about it at the time. :(

I feel like a piece of shit still. I am but, for different reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Also the reason this condition is fairly new is because they’re making this stuff way more potent nowadays than it was in the 70s

• Like Like x 2
  16. You have any sources to back up your claim?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I don't know about that. I mean hash was always around and, about roughly the same percentage. I think its the usage of pesticides. But I don't know for sure of course.

18. Whats up party ppl
    Just signed up to share some good news
    After having a bad episode and a couple visits to the er i found out I had chs unfortunately so i went cold turkey for about 2 months and just last week I started smoking again but I'm only smoking 1 bowl every 2 days and so far so good .theres is light at the end of tunnel !!! I miss Mary Jane so much

And let me tell you that 1 bowl was more than enough I was high for hours lol .
    My tip is be patient let the thc get out your system amd then slowly come back to it to build your tolarance

Good luck I know its painful but you will be able to amoke again

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. It's not likely to be neem or some other pesticide that is the problem, due to the symptoms themselves and cyclical nature. The fact that hot showers help kinda implies its mostly likely a desensitisation of a pain receptor. A pain receptor that releases a chemical that regulates body temperature and reduces nausea and general pain.

I had to take a 3 month break from smoking and was able to blaze again, although not much at all. If I even did more than once a day, which i did recently I started getting fatigued, headaches and anxiety. Although no vomitting this time. Last night I had very restless sleep which is the telltale sign fullblown CHS is around the corner. I'd also been smoking very little. Unfortunately going to have to take another long break, as this past weekend I had those minor CHS symptoms, of bad headaches, fatigue and anxiety. Sucks, I got some amazing greens, but can't touch it. Hope the rest of the week is okay.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. I'm assuming I have chs but I only vomit when I haven't eaten in awhile. So for awhile I thought I just had an appetite issue. Whenever I don't smoke I don't eat ANYTHING. The last smoking break I did, I went 4 days without eatting and had to go to the ER. Dr weren't helpful. Pretty soon I'll stop smoking for a full month and see if I get my appetite back. I'm just scared of the lack of eating I'll be going through and the pain.
    I am 24 year old female, 5ft 7in, and I smoke everyday but I've only been smoking 3 times a day just to eat.
    It's been making me sad and I lost a job from trying to figure out what was wrong with me.