Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking with CHS (cannabinoid hypermesis syndrome)

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Type1cory, Jan 16, 2017.

1. #21 The curer, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    I have found that drinking Lemon Verbena tea helps relieve and hopefully cure the symptoms of CHS so far. I need to keep experimenting as I have only recently discovered the benifit.
    I steep the fresh leaves straight from the plant in boiling water, its very tasty also.
    I found that once you stop having cannabis for about 2 weeks your symptoms of CHS will stop but if you get back on it a bit too hard and your tollerence starts to go up, you will have a repeat of CHS.
    I think having very small amounts of cannabis maybe max 3 times a day for only 2 days a week, usually over the weekend is the max you want to have if you suffer CHS.

2. Hi!!!! I have CHS and am currently on a break !! haven't smoked in a month. I'm also so curious about whether or not I can ever smoke again.. Gonna try to smoke like a HIT in August maybe....

Hope you're feeling okay!!! Really looking forward to more information on this terrible thing lol

3. You know Im sitting here an thinking, damnit billy your on the internet again. After reading about this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. The lemon verbena tea seems to be keeping the CHS Symptoms at bay. I have been drinking it every weekend at the same time as vaping. So grateful I have found this remedy. I urge anyone suffering CHS to drink lemon verbena tea and hopefully you can still enjoy the sacred herb.

5. CHS sucks. I keep trying to push the limit and find out causes. I am testing different factors that might bring on a full blown attack such as ingestion methods, strains, amounts, frequency and food. I mostly vape (volcano bag style), average 2 grams a day (mostly at night after 6 pm), all organic home grown. I have had several severe attacks real close to harvest time. My GI doc said smell and ingestion through fingers (trimming without gloves) would not cause the problems. Everything I have read indicates the attacks stop when usage stops. That is my experience. I have not read where permanent damages result from the attacks... but oh crap do they suck

6. #26 Freebold, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2017
    Corey, thanks for your post! I find it interesting those who comment and mock the condition or do not understand it but yet feel the need to reply.. Anyways, I realize I am replying to this almost a year after your original post, I'm wondering if you have been experimenting and what you have found in your "test trials". I also am wondering if you have any GI tests done before they diagnosed you with CHS?

Here is a quick summary of my history, I'm still not sure I have CHS, but have stopped smoking until all my tests are done and I can rule everything out other than CHS..

I went through the vomitting and pain, hot showers almost 3 years ago when I was 24. Two visits to the ER in 30 days, though the doctor then scoffed at the idea of it being CHS, so I continued to smoke ever since. Now flash forward to now, I am 27 years old and hadn't had a episode like that where I needed the ER in over 2 years and I was smoking the whole time mind you. But, in September I fell into another bad episode. It felt all too familiar and I knew I needed to go the the ER for Fluids and pain medicine, that's how bad it is in the moment. The ER doc there said she thinks CHS, I refused to listen, and kept smoking. But again less than 30 days later in October I feel into a even worse episode. I have not smoked since then, and am wondering the same thing you are. I had always attributed my episodes to not eat right and eating too much junk the day before I got sick. The problem is now, I am on a very strict diet and not smoking at all, so I feel better, but I'm not sure which change really made the difference. I lost a lot of weight from my episode as it was hard to eat for a couple days afterwards. I'm trying to gain some weight back before I attempt smoking (I actually Vape the volcano mostly) again.

7. #27 bhbest, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    For those suffering from CHS try and reset your cannabinoid receptors first off by taking a nice long tolerance break. Then start slow. By that I mean 1 hit at a time and go slooow! Also try and consume at night and don't smoke all day. Use it sparingly as a wellness substance and cannabis will reward you. Remember with cannabis less really is better.

Sent from my VS996 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Everyone who's saying this is fake is clueless and ignorant. I have chs and its miserable. I miss smoking so bad I feel for you man

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Still no answers :(

Heres my experience with CHS. I’m an 18 year old male about 155 pounds and 14% body fat.

I started smoking heavily in like May of 2016 and when I went to university in September of 2017 I started smoking a lot, I would say about a gram a day. I had my first CHS episode in late November and it was the worst thing I had ever experienced. I took a tolerance break after that for about 2 weeks and then slowly started smoking again, like half a gram a week. That didn’t last for long and I was back to smoking a gram a day in about a month. I came home for Christmas break so I couldn’t smoke anymore and thats when I had my second CHS episode. This time I puked about 40 times in one day and it was by far the worst day of my life. The next day I woke up with some abdominal pain and after about an hour it was an extreme pain in my appendix area. I went to the ER to see what was up and apparently I had an appendicitis. My appendix had burst because I puked so much so they had to remove my appendix. That was last week and now I’m here.

I know I can’t start smoking a lot again but theres no way I’ll be able to make it through university without ever smoking so I’m thinking just strictly like once or twice a week. I’m scared to try this because I really don’t want to have to go through what Ive been through again. I’ll probably take a tolerance break every like two months as well but I’m not sure.

I want some other people’s experiences so I can determine how much I should smoke, or not some at all.

10. To everyone that is saying this isn’t real, you’re complete morons. Are you guys doctors? Or have you gone through this yourself? No, probably not. I suffered from this about 4 years ago, a little over. It was so scary and debilitating. I was a heavy smoker and I enjoyed it, but giving it up to stop the episodes was a very easy decision. I would like to start occasionally smoking again as well, but I’m not sure at what amount or how frequent either. I hope you figure it out!

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Don't smoke blunts ever smoke bowls out a bong I smoke everyday put my bong no chs issue smoke blunts everyday I wake up everyday in pain

Sent from my SM-N950U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. I just got it. I had a CHS attack yesterday.

Over the last 6 months I had noticed weird bouts of nasuea, and then this past week I was getting more and more ill, until yesterday I had the typical CHS attack with all the symptoms. It was not any fun.

It really fucking blows. Want to have just a toke of my vaporiser but I am pretty sure it will make me sick again, even though I am still a bit sick.

13. My story is similar to everyone else's who said they've experienced CHS. I go to college and the first time I was hospitalized was when I came home for Thanksgiving break. Again like the previous stories I had been smoking about a gram a day for months and eventually felt like I became dependent on it because I would wake up with nausea and the only thing that would make it go away is if I would smoke more. Well I had to stop smoking during break and this is when it got to the point of throwing up a ton of times in one day. Eventually I had to go to the hospital because of extreme dehydration and vomiting (not fun at all). The doctor mentioned that it was CHS and at the end of break I felt pretty normal again. Then, when I went back to my university I smoked just one time a day (probably like 2-4 hits). This seemed to be okay so I started to smoke two times a day and after about a week I could feel the nausea coming on again so I knew it was too much but at this point it was too late. The next day I woke up and I felt terrible and eventually threw up a bunch, like the previous episode. I was scared to even smoke once a day and I think the limit (at least for me) is about one time a day, twice a week spaced out evenly (so if I smoked on Sunday, I wouldn't smoke again until Wednesday or Thursday). It's been a month and this seems to be working so far but I really really miss being high everyday.

I also wonder if body type has anything to do with this. I am also less than 15% body fat with a high metabolism like the other person who reported they also experience CHS. I am going to try and up my usage slowly while trying that lemon verbena tea to see if that is a permanent solution to this terrible disease.

14. I'm not that lean. Like 200lbs at 6ft, and I was getting it pretty badly.

I'm getting close to 3 weeks clean. I am just wondering when can I start toking a little? I guess what a lot of us are wondering. Since CHS, I must confess, I had one toke, like over a week later. It didn't make me feel great. But it didn't prompt a full blown CHS attack like before. Just a bit headachey and not very high.

Am hoping another month or two, and then just moderation. Just in the evenings and only once or twice a week. But I am wondering how much and when I can start up. Will try to take a break as long as possible. But missing it. Going to go to some music festivals this summer, and it would be nice to have some greens.

15. Thank you for posting That! Was the First answer which really helped me!
    I have CHS too. In december i stopped smoking because of the nusea etc..
    But when i went to Amsterdan in February,i couldn‘t not smoke anything! So i smoked 3 days about 4-6 hits a day. That didn‘t make any symptoms coming up again. So after 2 weeks smoking nothing, i smoked again during the next two weekends for about 1,5 joints. That didn‘t make any Problems too. (I also tried the lemon verbene tea when smoking. Tastes good)
    So at the moment i‘m trying to figure out how much smoking is okay, hopefully without getting CHS symptoms again!
    I am 5‘5“ and 121lb.
    (Sorry for the mistakes, i‘m from Germany )

16. I have CVS. I've had it since I was 11, I am now 21 y/o female 5'9" normally 110 lbs. so nausea and vomitting episodes have always been very common to me. Last week however I knew something was different about my episode. I smoke daily, but usually 1-2 pax bowls a day sometimes 3 but never more than that. What was different about this episode was that I couldn't stop puking/dry heaving no matter what medication I took and I am prescribed promethazine because zofran usually doesn't work when I am having a CVS episode. I went to the emergency room twice for fluids and medication within 2 days and the vomiting stopped after that, but I had lost a lot of weight and was super dehydrated so it's very important to stay hydrated and eat what you can stomach. If you're struggling with weight gain after an episode, drink some Ensure PLUS protein shakes. They are full of good vitamins and nutrients and have the calorie count that you need. I drink the chocolate one in a cup of ice to think out the thick texture it has and it makes it a lot easier to drink. I haven't tried the lemon verbena tea yet but probably will today. I am on day 6 since my episode started and I actually smoked VERY lightly yesterday to relieve some anxiety (I get anxiety when I get sick) and I felt super high off of a tiny pinch in the pax 3. Afterwards I had a light headache but went away within an hour. I will add that I felt a bit of nausea last night but I think it was from me trying to eat an apple that didn't sit well instead of the act of me smoking. After doing some research on CHS, I found that it's more common for female smokers to have this happen and that the episodes usually only last about one week. I think I will be able to smoke after this but I am definitely going to wean myself off eventually. I never want to go through this again. It's painful and expensive.

17. It's kinda funny.
    CHS wasn't even a thing until growers started putting stuff like Phospho-load and eagle 20 into their grows.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. This thread is pure comedy :roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. then don't comment lol. this is very real for the very few that experience it and its very scary to not know what is going on with your body. But you're right, just quit if you have it. its the only way to know for sure if it is cannabis. I'm not calling anyone a "moron" for their opinion, but I got on here to see if I was the only one experiencing these symptoms. So if you aren't, then its ignorant for you to tell us sufferers that we are full of bull.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1