Smoking with children

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by AsthmaticStoner, Aug 15, 2018.

1. I don’t think anyone who smokes in front or hides it from there kids makes them a bad parent. I have three kids 2, 4, and 6. When I smoke it’s mainly in the basement or my walk out. I never smoke with them around me but I have been high around them. The reason why i smoke is because it helps me deal with my anger with having a learning disability. I am not angry at them, i just get frustrated easily with situations. Smoking allows me control my emotions and let’s me focus more on there needs. I feel like I am so lucky to have them and to have a wife that tolerates me. FYI: She hates it that I smoke at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. I don't think it's healthy to conceal it from your kids if you live in a legal area for sure. It's legal now. We can stop acting like it's committing a shameful act.

If you cracked open a beer would you go drink it in the closet so the kids didn't see you? Why is a few tokes so different? Kids are so dumb they can't figure out that it's for adults? They can with some things but not weed?

Obviously don't hot box the kids. As far as I'm concerned hiding it is admitting that it's wrong/shameful and I don't think it's wrong so why would I hide it?

When I bought some of my first legal dispensary weed it came with a giant handout about not smoking in front of kids. After thinking about it for a few minutes I thought it was a little ridiculous. It may as well had said...

"We know it's now legal but we want to continue to enforce the bad stereotype about weed so our advise is you continue to act like it's a horrible thing people can't even witness you doing."

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Curious - does she hate it if you were to have an ice cold beer on a beautiful summer day?

Seriously - I’m curious.

J

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. For what it’s worth, I’ve been growing “underground” since the mid 80’s. In the later 80’s I bought my first real lighting systems and started growing a little more seriously - or at least a locked spare bedroom at a time.

When Maine became a legal state years back, I discussed it with my wife and then sat down with my 3 younger daughters and we discussed it as a family. That was a great hour long talk. Very importantly, we discussed the fact that even though it was a legal thing, that (some) people suck so keep your mouths shut - and they did.

My kids are now older. I have one teenager and two daughters that are in their younger 20s. They’ve been exposed to it for a very long time and quickly came to realize that a lot of the negative publicity about it was simply stupid propaganda & that cannabis was not a bad thing at all.

Only my oldest daughter smokes herb these days and that’s really only a very occasional thing. They appreciated my being honest with them and by growing up around it and helping me occasionally it was never a big deal - because we never made a big deal.

Kids aren’t dumb folks. Were you dumb when you were a kid? Do you really think that if your parents had tried to hide anything from you that they even could have? My kids can trust me because I don’t hide stuff from them.

My kids know the difference between bad hard drugs and cannabis. We’ve discussed the difference & they’ve seen for themselves that cannabis is not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination.

Just one man’s opinion.

J

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. as my kids got older ,,i told them i smoked cannabis and also grew cannabis ,,i explained to them about what an ass the law is on cannabis etc ,,but i also said please dont say any thing at school about it because of the law i could get in to trouble ,i said i was trusting them .like i trust them ,,they were around 10 =11 years old at the time ,funny thing is they know what i was doing all along ,i never smoke in front of them still dont ,but ive always rolled up in front of them and just treated it as normal ...but looking back i know i was taking a risk at telling them .but it worked out fine ,,mac,

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DAMN RITE!!!! mine drove me back to being a full time smoker ... lmfao

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. I did with mine just like many other people but they are there to push and test your patience! If you have that one in a million I'll be surprised haha. Good luck bro

• Like Like x 2
  8. Oh god that is not good lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. No she doesn’t care because it’s legal to do that . If cannabis was legal she wouldn’t care but since it’s illegal and thinks it unhealthy. She has tried to convince me to stop by using her medical background. (She has the education and experience in medicine and I mean she can prescribe anything to someone as long it’s in her field.) But my argument to her is that no one has done a long term study because of the legality around cannabis. Now, We just agree to disagree with each other.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I agree I shouldn’t hide it and don’t plan to when the kids get older to understand. I just don’t want loose lips sinking ships lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. What does she believe to be unhealthy about it?

J

• Like Like x 1
  12. oh forgot to say even my g/kids know i smoke weed and grow they just aint bothered what i do ,i dont make big deal of growing cannabis,,,kids aint stupid ,,...mac,,

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. As different as it is from drinking alcohol, I believe that it's high time we treated it the same way. Yeah, Dad is going to have a toke and then a glass of scotch on the rocks. Obviously, the kids won't be having any and dad won't be driving afterwards. The kids will have to wait until they're of age to enjoy it. Sorry, but that's how it is. I believe all kids can understand that because I certainly did as a kid. I'm a 2nd generation pot head. My dad told me when I was 12 years old that if I ever wanted to try pot to come to him first. At the time I thought it was totally inappropriate since it was highly illegal and I had no interest but looking back I think it was a great thing my dad did. I would certainly rather a parent guided a kid into something like that rather then in a backroom party.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Of course it IS!

Lol

J

• Like Like x 1
  15. I find I can be a better mom if I partake a bit, particularly if I’m not feeling like mommin it up at the time.
    When I smoke, I become more energetic & it’s very beneficial.
    My husband and I are regular users, & have recently switched to vaping it because the 12-yr-old has grown suspicious. (The 3-yr-old is clueless)
    We keep it locked away in the basement, & only do it if circumstances allow (kids in bed/outside/in the bath), & we smoke in shifts so as not to draw more suspicion from the older child.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I like what you're doing and I have done the same for years but I do feel like it's high time we do the tough talk with the older kids and explain to them how it's just like alcohol now. The adults might partake but if you want to you'll have to wait until you're of age and that's just the way it is, no big deal. I much prefer that to hiding it like you're doing something wrong. I'm tired of hiding in the closet. It's legal. Be honest with your children. They appreciate it. They're smarter then you give them credit for if you look back at your own childhood. We knew what the parents were doing in the back room... =)

17. You’re absolutely right. I’ve been fighting the fact that my boy is in JUNIOR high anyway so this makes sense lol. He’s a smart kid & he’d get it, & appreciate the honesty. We’ve always been very close.

18. Cannabis and alcohol shouldn't be in the same sentence as each other. In my personal experience I feel like alcohol is a narcotic, that makes you dizzy, aggressive and hallucinate. I don't feel cannabis has any effect similar to alcohol although when I first started smoking I did get the buzz and eye wobble from it but that wears off with tolerance, whereas alcohol doesn't and your tolerance does build up so when you are chasing that pissed feeling you are taking more alcohol and are playing Russian roulette

• Like Like x 1