Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking with asthma?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by overheatedmud, May 29, 2011.

1. My friend wants to smoke for the first time and he knows I smoke so he asked me if I would let him. But he says he has asthma and doesn't know if he should or not. Does anyone here have asthma and smoke, and if so what happens to you? Do you just take an inhaler and your fine, or something else?

2. He will be fine.

3. Depends on how bad the asthma is really.
    I know a guy that gets asthma attacks in the shower cause of the steam.
    But if it's just an average case then just bring an inhaler and don't try to smoke too much. Take hits as needed.

GL

4. I have asthma and I can honestly say that when I smoke, I feel it opening up my air ways. As in, it helps my asthma.

Anyways, that's just me.. I dont know if there is scientific proof that it helps. I say your friend will be fine, but have him bring his inhaler just in case :)

5. Plenty of people have asthma and smoke. In fact, I believe for a lot of people it soothes their symptoms. My boy's lil bro's has asthma, been smokin since 13.

Have the inhaler on hand tho just in case.

6. Tons of people I know with asthma smoke, shouldn't be too bad, aside from maybe a lot of coughing (but that happens to just about anyone their first time blazing). As stated earlier, have him bring his inhaler, have him use it before taking his hit, make sure it's not too big, or too much, so he doesn't cough up a lung and induce an attack, but yeah, other than that, go for it

7. I was diagnosed with one of the most severe cases of asthma in the NW U.S. I have been the pilot for several drugs that are now in major circulation, and i smoke weed. I think the kid can handle it.

8. Maybe a vape will be less harsh on his lungs

9. I think Asthma can qualify someone for a medical card. It doesn't bug my crappy lungs, it shouldn't bug his.

10. Check this out cannabisnews.com: Marijuana In Asthma Study

"Colleagues at the University of California, Irvine, found that induced bronchular constriction was antagonized by anandamide, a substance with the same properties as cannabinoids, a material found in marijuana.
    "The contribution of my laboratory was to localize the molecules released by anandamide and its effect on nerve fibers in order to ease the muscles, helping reduce the substance that constricts the muscles," he explained.

It will help him breathe better :smoking:

11. If asthma can get me a medical card, I'm going to Colorado, dammit.

But I have asthma and I've never had any problems smoking anything. I have a pretty mild case but I kicks in every once in a while when i'm around a lot of dust.

12. I have asthma. Not a big deal really. I occasionally puff the ole inhaler after I smoke but MJ opens it up a bit. If I cough a lot I wheeze sometimes.

13. :hello:

Great post, dude! I knew it helped me! I can always tell!.

14. Virtue 7- "I dont know if there is scientific proof that it helps."

Effects of smoked marijuana in experimentally induced asthma. (full - 1975)
    Effects of Smoked Marijuana in Experimentally Induced Asthma

Bronchodilator effect of delta1-tetrahydrocannabinol administered by aerosol of asthmatic patients. (full - 1976)
    Bronchodilator effect of delta1-tetrahydrocannabinol administered by aerosol of asthmatic patients.

Bronchial effects of aerosolized delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (abst - 1977)
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Bronchodilator effect of delta1-tetrahydrocannabinol. (full - 1978)
    Bronchodilator effect of delta1-tetrahydrocannabinol.

Comparison of bronchial effects of nabilone and terbutaline (abst - 1983)
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

(If you click that first link in my sig and scroll down to "ASTHMA", you'll find even more studies! :smoke: )

The hubby has been an asthmatic since age 5. The only time he has any trouble with his asthma is when he has been smoking too many tobacco cigarettes! :mad: Cannabis doesn't mess him up! :smoke:

Granny :wave:

15. I have asthma and in no way has cannabis made me have any kind of asthma attack or make my asthma worse in any way. I'm sure your friend will be fine. Like other people have said, just make sure he has his inhaler.

16. the more you know!

17. Thanks for all the replies. Just wanted to make sure he wouldn't die on me. Guess I'll see when he can do it.

18. I have asthma and I've been a daily cannabis smoker for four years. I used to get about two asthma attacks a year, and I haven't had one since I stopped smoking tobacco regularly, more than a year ago.

The only thing I really have to worry about is a cough, but that doesn't stick around unless you smoke a lot of cannabis or paper products like joints or blunts.

I was worried at first too, but then I realized it had no effect. In fact, I used to have bad allergies, but they're gone now too. It's nice to be able to have the windows open and not be bothered by pollen. Maybe I outgrew the allergies and asthma, but I can't rule out cannabis use as an explanation.

19. I have fair asthma although I find these days when I smoke out of my bong...i cough a LOT more usually than when smoking from a Joint...pipes I just cannot outright smoke out of at all for some reason.

Although even though I have asthma I find that I cannot help but cough CONSISTENTLY if I take too big a hit...sometimes even small hits really screw me over...I find once I start coughing I cant stop.

The issue is I can still breath, i just find that anytime I smoke it induces horrible coughing. I Know everyone can cough, but my coughing happens so much and sometimes it feels like I want to die just coughing).

I dont know whether im doing something wrong or w.e...I do try to get rid of as much stem as possible. Or it could just be the horrible bud from where I live at.

20. I have light asthma and I've only ever had to use an inhaler this past 4/20 and that's b/c we siphoned a gotti between 3 people. During the usual session I have no problems.