Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking while pregnant

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by SpoildToknPrncs, Jul 13, 2005.

1. I know smoking ANYTHING is bad while pregnant, but what about people who have been perscribed medical marijuana? When you think about it, smoking some weed just might be safer than all those man-made chemicals in other medications. So I ask you, is it worse to smoke weed or be on a drs. perscription?

2. I would say the doctors pills have a higher chance of causing harm.

3. of course it would be bad...you can get cake, brownies, THC pills, etc...

4. I think the smoke is the part that's dangerous. You can always make brownies or use a vaporizer.

I smoked while I was pregnant when I was having terrible morning sickness. If I didn't, I wouldn't have been able to keep any food down. I think not eating was worse for the baby than smoking.

But, everything in moderation :) On safefetus.com, Marijuana is listed as a Class C drug, which means it might be harmful to the fetus, but it hasn't been proven.

5. I would get a vaporizer, so you limit the tar, and other chemicals that are released from smoking that go into your unborn child. I dunno, though, if you smoked pot during labor....would your baby be born stoned?

6. No, by the time the THC gets to the baby, there's very very very little left.

If you want to smoke during labor (which I plan on doing with any future kids) you gotta have your baby at home. Which is a good idea anyway (homebirthing, I mean).

7. I don't know the effects of THC on the unborn fetus, but any mother smoking or eating weed during pregnancy is irresponsible IMO.

8. Why?

9. because hes ignorant on the effects it has.

studies have shown smoking pot during pregnancy wont have any negative effects on the baby. this doesnt mean you should be smoking all day everyday while you are pregnant either, but in general it wont do any harm.

i think theres something about it on erowid

10. Everything in moderation :)

There was an article in Mothering about it, too.
    http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/birth_preparation/marijuana-side4.html

11. It should be common sense that anything a mother ingests during pregnancy can potentially affect the baby. Now, I'd like to see the research *PROVING* THC doesn't affect a pregnancy whatsoever. Scientific research on marijuana is still very far from complete. I love reefer as much as everybody else, but you have to remain impartial when it comes to medical research. Just because the authorities have lied about things concerning marijuana, it doesn't mean it's clear from all danger.

The conclusive research on the safety of marijuana, in regards to cognitive effects and such, is spotty at best. For example, we still can't say with certainty that pot does not damage the brain, even though the spectrum of damage would be much lesser than with alcohol or other illicit drugs. It's been proven that THC is neurotoxic to the hippocampus, in vitro at least, and I can't say I'm surprised about this. I've used heavily in the past, and there was a definite long-lasting effect on my cognition. It does clear up, but I don't know if the damage is completely reversible. They haven't proven that yet, and I haven't stopped long enough to go for a "full recovery".

Anyways, back on the subject, if your wife was pregnant and smoking the reefer, you wouldn't have second thoughts about her drug use? THC crosses the placenta y'know. It's only logical that a mother should try to be as healthy as possible during pregnancy.

12. Like I said before, I have used marijuana during pregnancy. I figured my baby needed food. I couldn't keep any food down without smoking a little.

I agree that there might be a little danger involved. But it's not like I was smoking 3-4 blunts a day or anything. I'm talking about 1-2 hits to settle a stomach and increase appetite. I think the danger of not eating (for some moms who have severe morning sickness) can be worse than the danger of ingesting some marijuana.

There are prescription drugs that have been cleared for use during pregnancy that are worse for you than marijuana.

13. I don't know what it's like to be pregnant, so my sympathies :)

I just hope your baby was born healthy. One of the more common reported dangers of THC during pregnancy is a low birth weight or miscarriage.

14. also, i wouldnt recommend smoking too much, maybe border line buzz/stoned?

15. He was born just fine, and he'll be a year old next month :cool:

16. Trust The Hempress on this one. She is Mother of the Year! So take what she has to say about the subject into consideration! :)

17. i didn't smoke through out either of my pregnancies. but i didn't get morning sickness that much either. and that's really hard to live with. but imo i wouldn't smoke pot while preg. though like hempress has said, a few hits really i don't think will do anything harmful. now if ur puffin away till ur hears content, that's a diff story.

there are meds u can take from the doc to help with the morning sickness, but really, when it comes down to it, pot is probably far less risky!

18. Definitly go the natural way and ingest Mary.

19. Look, I'm all about smoking pot whenever, where ever, however.
    but can we all take one second to think about the fact that marijuana is a drug. i really dont care how 'safe' of a drug it is, you don't do drugs while you're pregnant.
    pregnant women are told to avoid using any illicit drugs, even alcohol.
    it's one thing to smoke pot yourself. but you're basically forcing drugs on your unborn baby, which, in my opinion, is not a good idea.