Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking Weed vs. School Grades

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by CanadaBoy, Jan 1, 2010.

1. #1 CanadaBoy, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2010
    Hey GC,

I was wondering if marijuana has had any positive/negative effects on your education, specifically those in college/university.

~Cheers!

2. While I am not the "norm", I smoked all through college and graduate school. Got through an Engineering degree and masters while smoking all the time. Graduated with honors with both degrees and was highly recruited coming out of school.

So - marijuana did NOT have a negative effect on my school work - unless you consider the 2 "B's" I got a negative (I guess I didn't get a 4.0 :rolleyes:)

3. It is important to remember that everyone is different. Everyone has a different situation when it comes to location, personality, character, reaction to weed, major, etc, etc.

Personally I was a chemistry major at a well known private school and just made the switch to a biology major/chemistry minor. I don't think smoking has any negative effects on me and my school work. It helps me relieve stress from my school work AFTER i get done with my work. You just gotta be sure you have your priorities straight and get your work done.

4. For me smoking does get in the way of studying and school work. It makes me lazy. If i have to get a job done i stay sober. Smoking changes the way you pay attention to specific things. Also it decreases short term memory. If you can retain all the information classes provide and still get high then i guess its ok. If you are doing poorly in your classes it may be caused by your smoking habits. You'll have to decide.
    ~cheers

5. When I'm stoned, I'm typically more motivated as far as school goes...I get so into whatever I'm doing that I end up doing a good job lol

6. I take better notes when I'm high. but if I have an assignment to do I usally will blow it off (when high so I don't smoke untill after i get all my stuff done)

7. for me it motivates me to do better in the classes that instrest me. as for the others i find my self wondering off thinking about something else.Same goes for if i have to write a paper, if im interested in it i will concentrate and do good work. but if im not interested i'll end up playing COD or surfing the net

8. I would only smoke at school if I didn't have any test or anything, plus, my high would go away in under 3 hours, so if I have a test later on in the day, I would just toke in the morning and I would be perfectly fine by test time.

9. For me I've always been decent to say the least with writing and reading. However when it comes to other peoples views of my ability or work I'm afraid of being criticized. I've found that when its time to write say an essay on something for an English class, if I smoke up first it makes me a lot more relaxed and able to focus on the paper rather than what the reader is going to tell me I did wrong. I think in many ways marijuana has helped me to do school work I would have otherwise turned down and just not did.

For example; Before I started smoking I never did anything in classes in high school that required me to write. I would just simply not do it, and attempt to pass the class without it. I would be afraid that maybe the reader would think my points were dumb, or didn't make sense. Well since I've been smoking marijuana I've been receiving A's and B's on papers that I would have never done otherwise. I'd like to think that marijuana has allowed me to write freely without fear of doing a bad job.

10. #10 420cr, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2010
    This is exactly how I am. I wait until I get all of my homework and studying done and then I will go smoke a blunt with my friends. I set a time, say 8 p.m. and say I will not smoke until then or until I get all ofmy homework and stuff done. Its a good relaxing end to a busy hectic day. Dont let weed rule your life and you will be fine.

Sometimes I smoke before class if we do not have anything going on. I loved to smoke before my english class because we always had interesting discussions in there, even when I was sober. I cant wait for my philosophy and psychology classes next semester

11. This is exactly how I feel. While there are a few, rare type of people that can use their full intellect while high, this is not the case with most people. It is easy to do something mindless like working at your part time job or certain classes that are purely discussion-based, however subjects like Math, Science and English definitely benefit from sobriety. Luckily, I'm a music major, many of my classes walk hand-in-hand with blazing.

12. alot of times its negative, like i have to take a bus for an hour n a half to get to my college.after i burn i neeever wanna make that trip.so sometimes i endup just chilling at home.

13. Smoking should be a reward for getting your work done. Like strip studying hahaha

14. I know two people personally that smoke almost daily have a perfect gpa. I don't think it affects that stuff

15. Me too, man - it's gotten better for me, but when I first started(freshman year of college) my grades tanked. I'm a sophomore and now have a 3.2

16. personally i believe its and idividual effect, some people get lazy when they smoke weed so shouldnt smoke before class or before some big project they have to do, some people can actually be motivated to work more if they are buzzed. From my personal expieriences ive seen a raise in my GPA since i started smoking weed everytime before a class. It personally puts me in a relaxed state of mind where i find it more easy to sit in a room for an hour and half, listening to someone talk. Ive found it easier to also pay attention and find usually boring subjects to be a little more interesting!! Overall i would say though thats its personal behavior after smoking that would reflect the most on wether it would be beneficial to your grades.

17. I smoke a shit ton of weed & am the biggest procrastinator ever, when it comes to school shit.
    Sooo I leave it for tha last min, but I'm still in honors & get A's & B's :smoking:

18. ^ hahah love your sig.. :)

I also agree... My engineering classes are much more enjoyable once I'm stoned... I mean, who really likes working with circuits anyway... Id just say TRY smoking before projects/homework/class and see if you think it is working for you..(personally it made me more inspired to learn, in which my grades went up... :D)

19. throughout my entire life, i've always done better when i've been smoking a lot, i find that the work i actually do when i'm stoned is of better quality even if it takes a little longer to do. MY IQ has actually gone up since i started smoking, over the course of 3 years solidly smoking almost every day it went up from 139 to 145.
    i don't think that marijuana has an effect on brain power/function, all it does is make you lazier which is the high but if you have willpower it shouldn't have any negative effects. people who say it has made them stupider are either using it as an excuse for doing badly and would do badly without it.
    people like this give the stoner community a bad name.

20. Exhibit A. I can't get shit done right now because I haven't had a toke in 2 days!