Smoking Weed and Being a Parent

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by mikotheawesome, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Let me start by saying I have never been pregnant and don't have any kids. So I am most definitely NOT an expert on children or child-rearing. I have done some babysitting and I have worked with kids to a certain extent, though. :)

I guess I just want to hear peoples' thoughts and opinions on smoking and being a parent/having kids. I've seen a few different types of parents who smoke and I just kind of wonder how people feel about it in general. How does it change things, do you think it's morally right, those sort of things.

Thought it could turn into a touchy subject, so that's why I posted it here, but no judgement here. Just looking to learn from other's POV's. :D

2. I think it would be the same a parent that drinks as long as you put your kids first there shouldn't be a problem.

3. I think it's perfectly acceptable as long as she's responsible about it and isn't ripping bongs rght infront of her kids every night haha, as long as the parent is eing responsible and isn't putting all his/her time to smoking and is taking care of there kids then no harm no foul, it's like if you have a glass or two of wine at night, he or she can just have some tokes to relax them, I see no problem with it as long as they know what there doing and can handle everything fine

4. Depends I see no problems with it if your responsible, not doing it infront of your kids, important shit first.
    I know tons of people what give there kids everything and smoke weed everyday all the time and they're kids never seen or smelt a joint.

Another "parent" I know smokes weed all day hermits in a hot boxed room, dirtiest house ever, buys her kids couple pairs of shirts and pants rest she just bums from people...

So mismatched socks and etc, dirty, you get the point scum of the earth good thing she has no access to her children. POS Bitch.

:wave:

5. What about legality (in states that don't allow for a medical license)? It's legal to drink, but if you're caught smoking you could go to jail or your kids could be taken away. I mean, no one likes to think about that happening to someone over a joint or something; and it's not very likely to happen, but the possibility is there...

I don't think it makes someone an irresponsible parent, but it certainly seems...less responsible (?) if that makes sense. But I also acknowledge that the likelihood of that happening seems pretty low if you keep your "hobbies" to yourself. So I'm on the fence lol, which is why I wanted to hear what other people think.

6. Also, what about S/O's? If there's two parents in the picture and both are okay with how things are that's fine. But single moms/dads...couldn't that be a potential security issue? You're seeing someone and they seem all right, things start getting serious, then you guys have a fight or break up.

Now you're in a position where they could call the cops or child protective services on you. If CPS even gets a report of something like that they have to take your child by law until they are assured your home is a safe environment. At least, that's how it is in GA.

Just seems so dangerous...

7. I think its fine, my ex smoked when she was pregnant(I was a bit flabbergasted that she did it just cuz it was smoking and not so much the weed) but her daughter was smart as fuck so it seemed to be fine.

its been said a million times, the biggest danger with toking is the illegality, so yea in that sense it might be irresponsible, but I know my boy was always a much more caring father when he was high. I think it helped him just for the fact he has some anger issues and didnt have his dad around when he was a kid, not sure if he had any father figures but I'm in the same boat so I get how he feels/felt.

8. I do have to say, I can't agree with smoking when pregnant; but, like you said, more because of the smoke than the THC.

I feel like with THC and pregnancy, like any drug, you have to look at the risk vs. benefits. If a mother suffers from severe morning sickness and nothing else works, is the risk of her ingesting cannabinoids worth the benefit of her being able to eat and provide nutrition for her and the child? The only "defect" I've ever heard of weed causing is low birth weight and not feeding the child would have the same result with more harm, so...

Smoke and fetuses don't mix, though. :/

9. My fiancee vaped while preg with our daughter her morningsickness was terrible to the point were she couldn't keep shit down I sold green at the time. I borrowed a friends vape for a while and fixed the problem.

10. As long as you're not smoking right next to the child.. Or hotboxing the room.. I don't see a problem in it.

Also, you shouldn't get so high that you can't take care of children.

Stigma only comes to the child after school.

I like toking up a little bit while hanging out with the children in my family. I don't let them see the weed or the paraphernalia.. I think that would be unacceptable to the parents.

However, I'm sure they smell it on me. I'm sure they just think that's how I smell.

But being a little high, I'm able to communicate better with the children. That doesn't mean I think being high is the only way to relate to a child.. and I don't think parents should be constantly high.. but I think it adds some flavor.

Of course, it all boils down to RESPONSIBILITY.

11. I don't have a kid but if I continue to smoke when I have one I will not be in the same room as the kid it will all be kept well out of reach untill the kid is 16 ( age I started) I will then educate my child on its use

12. [quote name='"mikotheawesome"']I do have to say, I can't agree with smoking when pregnant; but, like you said, more because of the smoke than the THC.

I feel like with THC and pregnancy, like any drug, you have to look at the risk vs. benefits. If a mother suffers from severe morning sickness and nothing else works, is the risk of her ingesting cannabinoids worth the benefit of her being able to eat and provide nutrition for her and the child? The only "defect" I've ever heard of weed causing is low birth weight and not feeding the child would have the same result with more harm, so...

Smoke and fetuses don't mix, though. :/[/quote]

According to a site in Granny's List, weed increases infant mortality.

13. I have a very rare perspective - in that as a child my parents were stoners, and as an adult parent I am also a stoner.

I've been smoking now for over two decades. I smoke virtually all day every day...I don't even have "sessions" anymore. I can ever smoke and do my job. I don't do it that much, but I can and have.

I was brought up to respect the herb and learned all about how it wasn't anything that the "government" or "establishment" said it was. I didn't even want to try it until I was out of High School and an adult because that's what my parents wanted.

In fact, my father used to tell me that while he didn't really want me to smoke, that if I ever wanted to try it to come to him first. Unfortunately he passed away before I wanted to try it.

My daughter knows that MJ is our "medicine" and we explain that due to our work environment and our living situation (too small of an apartment, too expensive, too many people in this city, traffic, etc) we need our medicine to get by in life and also because we're getting old (see it's better when your in your 30's and 40's because MJ really does help aging). And that MJ is to be respected and not used until she's older.

It's all about education - educating your children on what it does and doesn't do and why you do it.

Oh and also we make sure to tell our daughter that what we do at home with our medicine is not for public knowledge and that no one else needs to know about it, and that privacy is important.

Finally a reminder - that we don't allow the discussion of minors using MJ, so please do not talk about that aspect

14. If you value getting high and don't care if your kids get taken away from you then sure go for it.

15. What if they have a medical marijuana card, Mr. Negativity? :p

16. I'd hope most people wouldn't think this way.

It comes down to responsibility. I mean, a mother who raises two children by herself surely can have a couple of glasses of wine at the end of the day, right?

Why couldn't a parent be responsible and smoke a joint every once in a while?

I don't think it's a "take care of your kids... or smoke weed?".. I think both are very possible.. As long as you're not a bad parent, no one should be taking your kids away from you.. Or have any right to search or see what is happening in the privacy of your home.

17. I don't live in a mmj state therefor don't know the laws, and it's illegal in more places than not. Mrs. something I'll get banned for calling you.

Well yeah but until it's fully legalized it's one or the other.

18. I don't know.. In high school tons of my friends parents smoked weed. A lot of them were and still are very cool people.. Needless to say, my friends have never been taken away from their parents.

19. I have researched this and the only danger found was in prohibition and the many negative results of prohibition, not even smoking has proven to be bad or dangerous in any way.

Be very afraid if you're not in a medical state.

Michigan Father killed in attempted removal of child, smell of marujuana was reported.

20. I smoked around my kids. It was no problem.

My hubby smokes tobacco and rolls his own as a way to help limit his consumption. He also smoked a pipe, back then, with a variety of pipe tobacco fragrances.

So Mama just smoked a "different brand" :rolleyes: and shared it with Daddy. No big deal.

By the time the kids were in school (this was pre-DARE), they realized that Mama's smoking was a "family secret" about on the level of "Daddy walks around the house in his underwear". It just wasn't talked about.

My kids are in their 30s and neither smokes pot- their choice. The eldest brews his own beer. He did use pot once when he had a migraine. His reaction after a couple puffs was funny- "Damn! It works!" :eek:

Granny :wave: