Smoking marijuana and T1 diabetes

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Jaimster10, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Hello,

I research how smoking marijuana effects the body. I came across this article on leafly.com, and it's making me wonder how bad smoking marijuana actually is for you? Is smoking marijuana safe for a diabetic? Does the smoke affect one's circulation? According to this article yes, which startles me as a diabetic. That being said I've read/heard the opposite from other studies/people saying that marijuana opens up the blood vessels increasing circulation. Please only respond if you have read the article: What are the Negative Effects of Cannabis Smoking and Secondhand Smoke? | Leafly.

I want to be healthy, and personally I have been smoking cannabis for about a year now, and I have not noticed any negative side effects so large that I would stop using it. I enjoy the smoking aspect of it because I have connected with people that I would never have met if it was not for smoking weed. My gut tells me its okay, but my mind is confused because of all the differing studies/opinions. I have heard of diabetics who have smoked weed for 10+ years without it causing health issues to the user that would stop him/her from using it. I know there are different ways of consumption which I use, but smoking the herb has helped me in ways that others may not understand because each of our journeys is different. Any insights/help would help me along my journey.
    Peace,
    JI

2. Keep smokin` da `erb.
    As a type 1, I never had any issues.. My Doctor encourages it.
    Circulation has never been better.
    Just set an alarm (phone) to remind you on the hour to check blood... You are good to go.
    Just be aware of the munchies, and calculate a shot accordingly.

Alcohol is the enemy of diabetics. Have a nice day.

3. I am T2 diabetic. When I first started using weed for my diabetes, I checked myself every hour on the hour after I smoked. Example: I would be sober and eat a slice of birthday cake. My BSL would shoot up over 300. When I smoke weed, it goes back down to normal. If I do not eat after smoking, I get hypos (low blood sugar). So weed really helps to keep my glucose in check.

• Like Like x 3
  4. What your saying makes sense to me intuitively. I feel like smoking cannabis is something good for me. Unfortunately, after I read the article I posted I got concerned. I just don't understand how this article makes claims that cannabis smoke reduces circulation, but you and others say the opposite. I've been smoking for about a year, and have found more positives in it than negatives. I want to be able to fully embrace this plant because I've had great experiences with it, as well as smoking it with others. Smoking with others is something I really enjoy, especially spiritually inclined people. Anyways, I believe everything is going to be alright this just isn't making sense yet.
    Peace,
    JI

5. As above, some strains can indeed lower blood sugar occasionaly, but as you sound like a sensible person, you already know to have sugar handy.
    Even better to tell your friends of any hypo symtoms and they will prod you from your trance and tell you to check.
    Works for me and mine.
    I can 100% assure you that my feet circulation is 10 times better, and nueropathy pretty much halts.
    Still, you don`t need me to assure you, you will notice yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks for the reply. Yes I have noticed on multiple occasions that when I smoke I can actually feel the blood flowing throughout my body and in my feet. I'm assuming this means that more blood is circulating throughout my body. I believe that smoking weed is helpful for me and my situation. What I still don't understand is how some studies show that the smoke from weed causes a decrease in circulation(like the one I posted in my first post). It just doesn't add up. How can studies say that cannabis causes a decrease in circulation and then claims are made that it increases circulation? So in the back of my mind there is a fear that something bad is going to happen over time due to me smoking cannabis.. At the end of the day I don't know what to believe, and I do not want to do anything that is going to negatively effect my body. I feel smoking cannabis is good for my situation. I just don't know the truth. Thanks for the help.
    Peace,
    JI

• Like Like x 1
  8. Don`t over-think it friend. Diabetes is only a killer/worry when you neglect it.
    Clearly you don`t.
    Blaze away amigo. Grind that dank shit.

9. Slick21,
    I have been overthinking it/worrying about it. I'm doing my best not to worry, but it still doesn't make sense. I feel it's helpful for me to smoke cannabis when I feel like it. That being said what I read and what is being told to me now are 2 different things. I've read that cannabis improves circulation. Then I read that it reduces circulation and can be worse than tobacco smoke? Just doesn't make sense...

Thanks,
    JI

10. If you ever read the disclaimer on ANY Pharma drug, from Statins to Aspirin, you would never pop a pill.
    You get stuff like "Can cause Death" on even the meekest of shit.
    They just protect themselves from law-suits e.g. like the Thalidomyde crisis these days.

As above, keep your sugar well-controlled, do what you like. Get you ripped.

A dilligent Diabetic is simply a normal person with a slight inconvenience. :hookah:

11. Makes sense what you are saying. What I'm not understanding is how this study is suggesting that smoking cannabis is bad for your circulation, but other studies say otherwise. How can this be the case?

12. Maybe they are lying to you?
    Maybe they want you to have insurance so you can get these "Established" (and heavily taxed drugs) As opposed to you leaning towards "Natural" remedies?

Is it too much of a stretch for you to think that they WANT you to take what THEY want you to?

Or maybe the survey is loaded, like many are, and they want conformity?

This self-medicating stuff, is not a good message.

Patents before patients? Ring a bell?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ok, how does eating cannabis effect blood sugar? smoking in itself would be the negative factor imo,, that would decrease oxygen etc...

all the reports I've read say that any type of cannabis will help diabetes because of the cannabinoids and their effect on your endocannabinoid system

• Like Like x 1
  14. #14 Jaimster10, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Yeah, I know thc and cbd can definitely be good for one's health. My fear is whether or not the smoke itself is going to have a negative effect on my circulation. I love smoking different strains of cannabis by myself or with friends. I just don't know if the smoke itself is going to cause problems with my circulation, my heart, or cause more health problems than I already have.

Take care,
    JI

15. look into cannabis vaporizers... the harms known from the use of them is two known carcinogens ( benzine, etc..) when compared to thousands of known aromatic hydrocarbons with smoking.... and breathing in hot vapor air, that is one of the harms known.. you can minimize that with using a water assisted bubbler or bong to filter the vapor through and condition it... smoking a few times a day will not cause any health issues imo... holding in your hit to long can cause lack of oxygen to your noggin so don't do that

16. Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I do have a vaporizer. I just enjoy rolling a joint or smoking out my pipe. I know there are some issues that can potentially occur from smoking anything. I just don't really understand if this is going to negatively impact my overall health as a diabetic. I feel like smoking cannabis isn't going to really harm me. It just becomes difficult to know the truth about something when studies say different things about the effects of smoking weed. I guess I'm just going to have to keep researching, and also be aware of how smoking weed is effecting me. I've read about diabetics who have been smoking weed for years without any problems, some even say it improves their circulation. Whenever there are 2 opposing arguments like this I get confused because I don't know the truth. Everyone has something to say about weed and everyone's opinion is different. But I don't think I can just go off of another person's opinion. I want to know the truth. I just have this fear that because i smoke weed, it's going to negatively effect my circulation, my heart functioning, etc. So when I read that article I started getting really worried, and now I feel a bit uneasy about smoking weed even though I like to smoke weed with friends etc. I hope I find the answers I need.
    Take care,
    JI