Smoking it wet? On purpose?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by DarkestTies, Aug 14, 2009.

1. :wave: Hello. Will try to keep the story short since the question should be simple.

I get pretty much all of my bud directly from the grower. It comes to me extremely fresh, as whole buds that were frozen before being fully dried.

I've always liked getting it that way. I take a nice bud out of the freezer, break off a nug, and set it up on top of my computer monitor to dry. It's ready to smoke in no time that way. It's what the grower does with his own stash as well.

When I consider it dry, it's still extremely sticky. Enough that when I use a grinder on it, it comes out in groups or clumps of stuck-together smaller pieces. But sufficiently broken up.

I know someone else who gets their stuff the same way from the same grower. I was talking to her a few days ago and she said that she doesn't dry her bud at all. Takes it out of the freezer, rips it up, and smokes it. It's so wet that she can't really use a grinder at all. According to her, it's more potent that way.

I tried it last night, just out of curiosity. Basically I just choked my ass off, even after moving from my handpipe to a bubbler for some cooling/filtration. I've never smoked with her, but I think she may cough every time she smokes and the headrush makes her think the bud is more potent.

So obviously, I think my way is right. For me at least.

But it makes me wonder if other people do it her way. Is it a matter of preference? Anybody else smoke their bud that wet?

2. ur buddy is giving u water weight. tell em u want ur bud dried and cured in jars for bout a month trust this much better

3. I should've probably mentioned this in the OP. No water weight; he only sells wet to a select few, and makes up for the extra weight. Probably too generously. I should dry the whole lot and weigh it some day just to see; I'll bet the bag is heavy.

Point is, this isn't a concern, but a good point to bring up :D

4. well I think the point anyone is going to bring up to you is the fact that he is selling buds that aren't even dried, let alone at LEAST a good month in a jar. I'm not sure what's up with the freezing method either, I mean it shouldn't hurt your buds, but why not throw them in a jar? What state, do y'all just not care about a good cure or what?

5. I'm in PA.

I can't speak for him, but I like the wet/frozen method because it keeps so much of the taste. Anybody I smoke with falls in love with the taste of my bud.

I've tried throwing it into a jar myself, left it for a month. I lost most of the taste. Maybe I did it wrong?

6. That time in the jar is supposed to enhance the taste and arome of your buds. If they were grown properly that is. Maybe this is your dealers way of getting around the fact that his buds don't smell that much from the get-go. Doesn't mean anything, not bad.

7. From my personal experience, Curing does not "enhance" the smell per say. The process of curing activates certain psychoactive chemicals in the MJ that get you high. You will still feel a buzz off uncured MJ, but there is a very noticeable difference between the 2.

If you are receiving wet buds from the grower, I would suggest as others have and cure it properly.

8. Okay, well, apparently we're all wrong and my original question is irrelevant :eek:

That being said..what would be the proper way to cure frozen, wet buds? Do I just toss them right in the jar (what about mold)? Or do I dry them more first?

9. so, you're telling me your buds smell the same right after drying as after a month of curing? You are not doing something right. Do you let your plants finish, do you use any type of bloom boosters? what nutes, do you flush? Do you "burp" your jars? It is a bit more than just throwing buds in jars. The high from freshly dried buds is not as heady, is short-lived, and not as smooth and tasty as it could be.

10. I've been growing for a long time man, and in my post it clearly says "From my PERSONAL experience". Everytime I have harvested, the bud smelled much better coming off the plant than it did out of curing. Many other people would agree the bud comes out smelling slightly different if not less.

Once again, curing has nothing to do with smell, it is done for potency.

EDIT: Do you mean ventilating the jars? (Burping?)

11. You just said YOUR personal experience. In my personal experience my buds smell much better after some jar time. Yeah I meant opening the jar every once in a while, burping seems like a generic term used around here. Wow, what do you grow man, it smells more before the curing, I'm not saying your wrong or anything. I'm sure there would be people to argue both sides of that. So potency is the one and only reason to cure? that shows your experience man.

12. There might be other things that come with it but I'm sure potency would be the #1 reason?

It might be my experiences that make my answers biased; I have since done some reading and some people find the smell to be the same, some find it much more sweet and a stronger aroma. There are so many things that can alter the affects of curing; Humidity/temp/water curing.

To the op; I just read somewhere that putting your buds in the freezer might actually be a bad idea. Freezing the buds can cause the THC to fall off in huge amounts, similar to the Bubble Bag hash process.

13. Listen, I'm not saying you're wrong man, I don't want to get into an argument over this. That last post was a bit rude, sorry bout that. You are right, it ultimately comes down to your growing methods and a lot of other factors. And you make a very good point. I was thinking when making hash you freeze it, but forgot that is to loosen trichs, thanks for the correction. Good points though

14. curing doesnt effect potency as much as youre making it out. Its more an act of allowing the plant to use up the remaining stores of it's photosynthetic byproducts, ie the sugars.

these sugars make your smoke harsh, alter the taste and potentially the aroma. Not related to potency.

where it is related is the drying process. Without ranting forever, THC is the chemical that gets you high, mostly. There are tons of cannabinoids, but this is true for all of them afaik, so we'll just assume THC.

well, its not found on the growing plant, in any large quantity...at least in the delta-9 THC form. Its found in the THCA form (thats THC acid) which is a byproduct of THC synthase. The big difference? a carboxyl group attached to the THCA that must be removed for the compound to realize its psychoactive potential.

this is the decarboxylization process, drying your bud. You can also achieve it when you put fire to the bowl, but its more effective over time, as in a good slow dry + cure.