Smoking Cotton can kill you

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by rain dancer, Jul 11, 2012.

1. So the idea of smoking cotton (vaporizing/oils) freaked me out. So I looked it up, and Found out it's not a good idea. Figured I'd share what I found. Taken from another thread.

The idea of vaping cotton frightens me. If you look at cotton under a micrscope, the fibers look like plastic hairs.

[​IMG]
    Now imagine adding heat. I can just see those little fibers twisting and possibly melting/slightly combusting from heat.

I have a lung disease and can't take that chance. If it works for you great but I've seen my herb combust with the pa (mflb) on low settings and long draws. Imagine what it's doing to a cotton ball. It's not even the same as imagining a tshirt, as the t shirt would be tightly woven. Try lighting a tshirt on fire, it burns but it's difficult to light. Now try a cotton swab. The spread out, stretched, fluffed up fibers are much easier to combust.

I don't recommend this at all.

COTTON DUST AND SMOKING EFFECTS ON LUNG FUNCTION IN COTTON TEXTILE WORKERS
    This link is about the dust of cotton in factories and smoking.
    http://ehs.sph.berkeley.edu/krsmith/CRA/tb/WangCZ_1998.pdf

^this is a study by Berkeley titled "Cotton Smoke Inhalation Primes Alveolar Macrophages for Tumor Necrosis Factor-�� Production and Suppresses Macrophage Antimicrobial Activities"

^Smoke Inhalation Lung Injury: An Update

Now you can make an informative decision concerning your health.

2. Just read over this I don't know much about vapes or anythin (strictly joints) lol when would you ever be smoking cotton?? Just interested :)

3. If you use pure cotton, you wont ignite it untill about 750 degrees F, so....if you take into consideration the fact that said cotton ball would be soaked in oil, and not sitting next to other combustible matter....you will never EVER have a problem with it catching on fire.

The oil would HAVE to evaporate first as our oil doesn't catch on fire at vape temps, and then you would have to let the chamber heat to 750 by itself to even start breaking the cotton down.

This is all assuming you are using pure cotton, the cheap ass Q tips are a cotton/plastic polymer.

4. Cotton doesn't get you high so why would you smoke/vape it in the first place?

5. A lot of people use cotton to clean their vaporizers or dab Cotton in oil and smoke it. Some clean the oil off their glass pieces and smoke/vape it. One guy on these forums even said he uses a lighter and lights it. If you google grasscity and cotton you'll see a lot of people advocating it as a safe method of smoking, comparing it to hemp. It's foolish and dangerous.

6. ^^ those people deserve what they get.

seriously, if someone is dumb enough to smoke cotton and then dies, we should all rejoice that we lost a moron.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I believe everyone deserves an informed decision, as grasscity is full of misinformation. As a person suffering from a lung disease, I care about the health and wellbeing of my fellow blades.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I've seen cotton filters available instead of carbon for carbon filters too.. though I'd never use one or see the point, here's another reason not to, it seems.

9. look at a cig filter that has been smoked all the way down

ive seen a white cotton filter get melted and turm black and get hard like plastic

look up knife from a cigarette

10. If I have no other option I use rolling papers to smoke oil.

I simply roll up a paper and then coat it in oil. But I would much rather do the same with a nug instead.

11. Those filters aren't made with cotton. Do some research.

12. Im gonna go pick some cotton and roll a blunt!

How much do I smoke to get high? 1 cotton ball?

3 Q-Tips?

How about 100% Cotton shirt? If I catch it on fire and inhale the smoke will I get wasted?

J.k.! :p

13. smoking is bad for you.

14. Whoa. Little intense there brah

15. Shitloaf is infamous for his raging loathing of idiots.

16. Smoking cotton is hella bad...but I've never heard of someone doing that.

It doesn't release a thing until 750+....on a vape you shouldn't really be going over 400.

So no, its perfectly fine to vaporize oils off a cotton as long as your paying attention. Id much rather do it in a convection style vape than something like the mflb.

17. Go to the mflb thread. Not only do they vape cotton balls soaked in canna oil, one guy said he literally lights it on fire and smokes it.

This thread was never about smoking cotton. It was about smoking cotton doused with thc or canna oil. People think if they soak a qtip in some hash oil, and toss the soaked cotton ball in their vaporizer, the heat will heat up the thc and not have any effect on the cotton.

I disagree.

My vaporizers have burned my bud on higher settings and some people, while high, don't think things through, which is why I made this thread, to inform.

After I read that one guy smokes hash oil by dipping 100 percent cotton balls in the oil and setting flame to it I knew this was the right thread to make.

People who've argued I'm wrong in other threads point to my first article which talks about the effects of cotton in the lungs on factory workers. Duh! It's even labeled that way:rolleyes:

No one challenges the health implications the other two articles point to, because how do you argue with proven science? That's why the choice is left up to the individual, and that's why I made the thread:smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  18. [quote name='"pokesmot247"']

Go to the mflb thread. Not only do they vape cotton balls soaked in canna oil, one guy said he literally lights it on fire and smokes it.

This thread was never about smoking cotton. It was about smoking cotton doused with thc or canna oil. People think if they soak a qtip in some hash oil, and toss the soaked cotton ball in their vaporizer, the heat will heat up the thc and not have any effect on the cotton.

I disagree.

My vaporizers have burned my bud on higher settings and some people, while high, don't think things through, which is why I made this thread, to inform.

After I read that one guy smokes hash oil by dipping 100 percent cotton balls in the oil and setting flame to it I knew this was the right thread to make.

People who've argued I'm wrong in other threads point to my first article which talks about the effects of cotton in the lungs on factory workers. Duh! It's even labeled that way:rolleyes:

No one challenges the health implications the other two articles point to, because how do you argue with proven science? That's why the choice is left up to the individual, and that's why I made the thread:smoke:[/quote]

I completely agree that smoking cotton would be bad....but again that requires like 750 degrees+, thats all my point was.

I think it would be safe in the MFLB as well, but since the MFLB can get hotter easily by accident due to conduction style, it would make me a bit more nervous than other vaporizers.

For instance, I would feel very comfortable putting cotton in my Silver Surfer, as I've never accidentally burned my bud, or come close to it. I completely understand people needing to be aware though, just in case. Never knew people were setting fire to them though xD, that is pretty bad. This thread is definitely useful for those people - I wasn't aware people were being that stupid.

I do think it's very easy to activate the THC and not the cotton though. It's a great way to vaporize those oils.

In many vaporizers there's materials that would be unsafe at certain temperatures, those temperatures just aren't reached.

19. Why don't you stop speculating, put a piece of cotton in your mflb, hold it for a certain amount of time and see if it vapes. Then again, you could get a microscope and see if there are any burns. Betcha there are!

Unless you can prove there are NO added chemicals used in the process, you're gambling.