Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking Cannabis can cause cancer

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by tofurocks, Dec 28, 2011.

1. I'm not sure if anyone has said that here (I haven't checked, so maybe someone has) but personally I've mentioned several times that, even the heaviest smokers, only develop lung and other cancers at the same rate and in some less-conclusive opinions, slightly less than the same rate, as non-smokers.

Cancer can happen to anyone, even the healthiest of us, even those who smoke cannabis, but as far as increased likelihood goes?
    Time and time again, it's been shown that there is no detectible increased likelihood between the very heaviest cannabis smokers studied (2 lbs per year, smoked, or roughly 2.6 oz per month), and 100% non-smokers.

One could argue that there is certainly room for error, however, the same studies have focused on both cannabis and tobacco users, and those who smoke tobacco are found to have a 20-fold increase in their likelihood to develop lung cancer, versus both non-smokers AND cannabis smokers. :(

Like I said earlier, where no increase in risk has been detected between cannabis smokers, and non-smokers.... knowing this, you actually run a MUCH greater risk of developing cancer as a mother, or a short-order cook, just from exposure to frying foods. :eek:

Cooking with gas stoves, increase this risk even further... but again, when comparing even the heaviest cannabis smokers, to 100% non-smokers, there is no increase in risk.

Cooking meat, releases high concentrations of carcinogenic fumes. Cooking meat in oil, adds even more. Using a gas stove, combined with both meat and a lot of oil, and the risk jumps up again.

------------------

I'll just share an excerpt from the below link/s, but I suggest reading this and other similar studies on exposure to cooking food... the below primarily discusses the drastic increase of cancer, among tobacco smokers who also fry food:

"Chinese women are recognized to have a high incidence of lung cancer despite a low smoking prevalence. Several studies have implicated domestic exposure to cooking fumes as a possible risk factor, although the exact carcinogens have yet to be identified. Heterocyclic amines are known carcinogens, which have been identified in cooked meat, and also in fumes generated during frying or grilling of meats. We conducted a case-control study of 303 Chinese women with pathologically confirmed, primary carcinomas of the lung and 765 controls to examine the association between exposure to meat cooking and lung cancer risk....

Our results suggest that inhalation of carcinogens, such as heterocyclic amines generated during frying of meat, may increase the risk of lung cancer among smokers. Further studies in different settings are warranted to examine this possibility, which may also help to explain the higher risk observed among women smokers compared with men." - http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/9/11/1215.full

"Another possible cause of lung cancer in non-smokers is cooking fumes. Researchers looking at why non-smoking Taiwanese women develop lung cancer suggest an association between the cancer and the fumes created by their cooking food in oil heated to extremely high temperatures. " - Why Do Non-Smokers Get Lung Cancer? - Lung Cancer Center - EverydayHealth.com

" The aroma of seared meat as your pan-fried steak is prepared may set your tastebuds tingling – but it may also give the chef cancer, especially if they are using a gas cooker.
    Cooking fumes produced during high-temperature frying are already known to cause cancer. In China, high lung cancer rates among chefs have been linked to the practice of tossing food in a wok, often in a confined space, which increases the concentration of hot oil in the breathing zone of the cook.

Cooking fumes are thought to cause lung cancer, as well as cancers of the bladder and cervix. Previous research has found that cancer levels are higher among chefs who did not have fume extractors in their kitchens than among those who did.

Although smoking is the main cause of lung cancer in most countries, in Taiwan only 10 per cent of women with lung cancer smoke. By comparison, 86 per cent of Taiwanese men with lung cancer smoke. Researchers suggest that it is exposure to cooking fumes that accounts for the high rates of lung cancer in women, despite their low smoking rates." - Cooking with gas raises risk of lung cancer - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

Long story short, according to numerous studies and reports, you're much more likely to develop cancer in your kitchen with both frequent and even infrequent cooking, than you are likely to develop it in your living room with a bong permanently-fixed to your hands. :D

2. #82 BadKittySmiles, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011
    What I said was only meant to be clarification, not an attack, but seeing as how you're responding this way...

I actually looked at both sides MUCH more than you, and much more realistically, than by simply pulling random numbers out of my behind. ;)

That's why I included the fact that no, it is not carcinogenic, and added that YES it does contain known carcinogens. We simply can not, and have not, been able to prove that the power of those minute carcinogens can over-power the restorative properties also included in the smoke.

To call it carcinogenic, in and of itself, would be to ignore the facts.

This is why an overall substance can contain carcinogens, without being a 'known carcinogenic', in and of itself. :wave:

Now THAT, is looking at both sides of the coin, rather than just saying 'yeah it's carcinogenic', which thus far has not been 100% (or even .001%) proven. ;)

3. This is kinda what i am saying BKS, you can get cancer, ALMOST anywhere from almost anything, im not, and was not saying you will get cancer from smoking cannabis lol..... Im saying you could...

Just like i wont say you will drown in the shower..... but you could....

or that you will die from choking on saliva.... but you could...

HAHAHAHAHA get what i mean here? Just because its unlikely, rare as fuck, as not prevalent enough to have massive statistics doesnt mean it cant and wont happen. When you repeatedly destroy cells you increase the risk cells that do not follow programmed cell death may form... it can happen randomly, without a carcinogenic substance hahahah chances of it, are slim, as in, it probably wont happen to any of us, but what im saying is, if you say it can not cause cancer, it has to have the ability to not cause it, in which case thats not true with a lot of shit we encounter daily that is unlikely to cause cancer, such as your kitchen

4. Its a touch melodramaitc to describe it as an attack kitty, just a response, cant see how it would have panned out any differently in a face to face discussion. I guess a persons text can be interpreted differnently depending on what frame or mind, dunno how I could have softend it down any more than it is, definalty wasnt an attack thou, just point by point opinion.

5. Life has 0% survival rate. Who cares? It supposedly doesn't cause cancer and actually cures it but whatever. Quality of life over quantity.

6. Life, the most deadly STD known to earth

7. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

This is kinda what i am saying BKS, you can get cancer, ALMOST anywhere from almost anything, im not, and was not saying you will get cancer from smoking cannabis lol..... Im saying you could...

Just like i wont say you will drown in the shower..... but you could....

or that you will die from choking on saliva.... but you could...

HAHAHAHAHA get what i mean here? Just because its unlikely, rare as fuck, as not prevalent enough to have massive statistics doesnt mean it cant and wont happen. When you repeatedly destroy cells you increase the risk cells that do not follow programmed cell death may form... it can happen randomly, without a carcinogenic substance hahahah chances of it, are slim, as in, it probably wont happen to any of us, but what im saying is, if you say it can not cause cancer, it has to have the ability to not cause it, in which case thats not true with a lot of shit we encounter daily that is unlikely to cause cancer, such as your kitchen[/quote]

I don't agree. It's not the same as drowning in the shower or choking on saliva.

It's like getting cancer from taking a shower. Two very unrelated things.

But if cancer rates among heavy heavy smokers are lower than nonsmokers in a large test group....then yeah. You could get cancer while smoking cannabis like you could get cancer while having saliva. The statistics show its completely irrelevent.

Regardless of what you think is carcinogenic about Cannabis - facts show it is not carcinogenic. Cannabis has carcinogens in it, as does EVERYTHING. I mean that pretty literally. But Cannabis is NOT carcinogenic.

8. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

Life, the most deadly STD known to earth[/quote]

Lmao, that's good though.

9. I'm getting ready for work so I don't have time to check and see if this has already been said, but yes, smoking anything will lead to a risk of cancer, not to mention the other bad shit such as carbon monoxide in the smoke. The difference in weed and cigs, however, is that because of it's reaction with the CB2 receptors, THC and other cannabinoids boost your immune system. This, at least somewhat, counters the effects of the carcinogens in the smoke.

10. #90 SIRSOG, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011

You are not interpreting what im saying. But thats ok, i guess no one read anything lol

Ill say it one more fucking time though, smoke, destroys lung cells, the more times you have to regenerate cells, the more of a chance there becomes a fault in cell regeneration and you end up with cancer. Now, an increased risk doesnt mean you will get it lol

Im not arguing its carcinogenicity, im arguing the fact cancer is caused by not only carcinogens lol and can be caused by faulty cell regeneration and such things, the more cells you need to regenerate, the more "risk" you have something ends up going wrong with that process. You think it requires carcinogens to get breast cancer? Nope

But for the 50th and last time i AM NOT saying you will straight go an get fucking cancer from smoking weed..... Im done arguing about it lol

Sirsog out

11. #91 Heosphoros, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
    [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

You are not interpreting what im saying. But thats ok, i guess no one read anything lol

Ill say it one more fucking time though, smoke, destroys lung cells, the more times you have to regenerate cells, the more of a chance there becomes a fault in cell regeneration and you end up with cancer. Now, an increased risk doesnt mean you will get it lol

Im not arguing its carcinogenicity, im arguing the fact cancer is caused by not only carcinogens lol and can be caused by faulty cell regeneration and such things, the more cells you need to regenerate, the more "risk" you have something ends up going wrong with that process. You think it requires carcinogens to get breast cancer? Nope[/quote]

No....I read it man. I get what you're saying....but thats all theory right there.

Theoretically, smoke should increase cancer rates.

But fact is - it doesn't. Cannabis does not increase cancer rates over non smokers at all. That right there kinda says it all. It doesn't matter what theoretically could cause cancer, because in this discussion we are talking about cannabis, and cannabis doesn't.

Can you get cancer while smoking cannabis? Yes.

Can you get cancer from smoking cannabis? I say absolutely not.

EDIT - woohoo, dono when it happened but 1k+ posts

12. yea dude get a life ok it wont kill you people been smoking cannabis since the biblical days.....

13. The fuck is cancer.

14. Just a little heads up: non-smokers can get cancer too.

I know, it's shocking.

15. I love weed.
    Everyone on this site loves weed.

Unfortunately the idea that weed doesn't increase your chances of getting lung, mouth or throat cancer is absurd..

You're inhaling smoke; it's as simple as that!
    And the argument that no one has died directly from cannabis is ridiculous. Of course no one has if you get cancer from smoking and die you are claimed as dead from cancer not weed!

If you drown in the sea you aren't claimed as dead because of the sea you're claimed dead by drowning.

Stoned rambling that I hope makes a little sense

16. [quote name='"Tehmousefather"']I love weed.
    Everyone on this site loves weed.

Unfortunately the idea that weed doesn't increase your chances of getting lung, mouth or throat cancer is absurd..

You're inhaling smoke; it's as simple as that!
    And the argument that no one has died directly from cannabis is ridiculous. Of course no one has if you get cancer from smoking and die you are claimed as dead from cancer not weed!

If you drown in the sea you aren't claimed as dead because of the sea you're claimed dead by drowning.

Stoned rambling that I hope makes a little sense[/quote]

Actually that's not true at all. A tonnnn of people have died from lung cancer caused by tobacco. A lot of people have died from lung cancer because of many things. Its extremely doable to find the link. But nobodys even been diagnosed with lung cancer due to weed.

Cannabis isn't a carcinogen whatsoever. Studies show it does not increase your risk of cancer over nonsmokers, not even by a little. In fact its more likely to decrease.

You had a fair point, but unfortunately its not true.

17. #97 Storm Crow, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011

Oh?

Marijuana Unlikely to Cause Head, Neck, or Lung Cancer (news - 2000)
    http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20000508/marijuana-unlikely-to-cause-cancer

Marijuana use and Risk of Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma (full - 2004)
    http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/64/11/4049.full

Cannabis use and cancer of the head and neck: Case-control study (full - 2008)
    \thttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2277494/

A population-based case-control study of marijuana use and head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
    (full – 2009) \thttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2812803/?tool=pubmed

Marijuana May Reduce Risk of Certain Cancers, Study Says (news - 2009)
    http://www.drugfree.org/uncategorized/marijuana-may-reduce-risk-of

and lung cancer?

Medical Marijuana; The active ingredient in marijuana cuts tumor growth in common lung cancer in half and significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread, say researchers at Harvard University. (news – 2010)
    Free News, Magazines, Newspapers, Journals, Reference Articles and Classic Books - Free Online Library

Cannabidiol inhibits lung cancer cell invasion and metastasis via intercellular adhesion molecule-1. (abst – 2011) Cannabidiol inhibits lung cancer cell invasion and m... [FASEB J. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer (news - 2006) Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer: Scientific American

Smoking Cannabis Does Not Cause Cancer of Lung or Upper Airways (news - 2005) http://ccrmg.org/journal/05aut/nocancer.html

Cannabis Smoke Is Less Likely To Cause Cancer Than Tobacco Smoke (news - 2005)
    Cannabis Smoke Is Less Likely To Cause Cancer Than Tobacco Smoke

Marijuana Use and the Risk of Lung and Upper Aerodigestive Tract Cancers: Results of a Population-Based Case-Control Study (full - 2006) http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/15/10/1829.full

Marijuana Use and Lung Cancer: Results of a Case-Control Study (abst - 2006)
    Marijuana Use and Lung Cancer: Results of a Case-Control Study

Study Finds No Link Between Marijuana Use And Lung Cancer (news - 2006)
    Study Finds No Link Between Marijuana Use And Lung Cancer

And.....

{Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer. (abst - 2007)
    http://www.aacrmeetingabstracts.org...searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=1760&resourcetype=HWCIT

Marijuana May Fight Lung Tumors (news - 2007)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana May Fight Lung Tumors

[/FONT] Cannabis as a possible treatment for lung cancer (news - 2007)
    Cannabis as a possible treatment for lung cancer

Marijuana Beneficial in Fighting Lung Tumors, Study (news – 2007)
    Marijuana Beneficial in Fighting Lung Tumors, Study ( New research has shown the benefits of ...)

Delta9-Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits epithelial growth factor-induced lung cancer cell migration in vitro as well as its growth and metastasis in vivo. (abst – 2008) \Delta9-Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits epithelial gro... [Oncogene. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows (news – 2007)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

Getting the idea? PubMed, Scientific American, WebMD, Science Daily... all saying the same thing!!! How much more proof do you dudes need? :confused_2:

CANNABIS DOES NOT CAUSE LUNG CANCER! :hello: :smoke: :yay:

[/FONT]

18. Granny I love you