Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking Cannabis can cause cancer

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by tofurocks, Dec 28, 2011.

1. It causes cancer, thts the bottom line, u can reply to me and say im wrong, u can ignore me and post and continue to kid others it doesnt, but it does, so there you go

2. The tests show marijuana users have the same cancer rates as people who do not smoke marijuana or tobacco, and less than tobacco users. That is called proof. Read my post; maybe you'll learn something.

3. Never happened in 5k years. I think were fine

4. #64 SIRSOG, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011
    [quote name='"Laith"'] The tests show marijuana users have the same cancer rates as people who do not smoke marijuana or tobacco, and less than tobacco users. That is called proof. Read my post; maybe you'll learn something.[/quote]

Um, can you prove this claim?

Where is the citation?

Because, you know... just because these studies are done on small groups (granny's "biggiest" study in her list involved 600 tokers, where in breast cancer studies involve thousands of people and they still have no clue about it, her info is good though).

And, I'm not saying smoking weed will give you cancer lol, still not saying that, but, inhalation of particulates are a known cause of lung cancer, go read the wiki, as sad as it is the info is easily fucking accessed......

I'm saying, adding foreign shit to your lungs increases the risk of it, I guess no one can read

5. Compare wiz khalifa to someone who smokes the exact same number of joints he does in a day. The two would look very different

6. Have you idiots ever met anyone with cancer?
    "Why would they give a cancer patient weed to make them need more chemo"

Lets assume that weed causes cancer (which I am not saying it is true)

Cancer is painful. It is a horrible thing to watch... It causes people IMMENSE pain.
    Weed helps people with the pain.

7. [quote name='"chickensupreme"']Compare wiz khalifa to someone who smokes the exact same number of joints he does in a day. The two would look very different[/quote]

u mean same number of ciggarettes?

8. [quote name='"darkchocolate"']Have you idiots ever met anyone with cancer?
    "Why would they give a cancer patient weed to make them need more chemo"

Lets assume that weed causes cancer (which I am not saying it is true)

Cancer is painful. It is a horrible thing to watch... It causes people IMMENSE pain.
    Weed helps people with the pain.[/quote]

No doctor would recommend a cancer patient smokes weed, vaping and edibles. No doctor would recommend you smoke anything actually

9. #69 BadKittySmiles, Dec 29, 2011

If it does cause cancer, which even the brightest most intelligent scientists with access to the most patients and subjects for study have NEVER been able to prove, unlike with tobacco smokers, who they've proved have a 20 FOLD RISK over non-smokers.... with cannabis, the odds are so low that unlike all the other connections we can make between harmful substances and their likelihood of causing damage, we simply have never been able to make a connection between cannabis and cancer... besides the fact, that it cures it.

Are you a doctor, or a scientist? And if so, were you also involved with any side by side studies? No? Then you simply have no grounds to make such a ridiculous statement.
    The kind of uneducated assumption you've made is very foolish, it's counterproductive, and it blatantly ignores all the science we've been able to compile to date. ;)

It's very, painfully clear in all known studies performed, that tobacco causes serious amounts of cancer, in both large, and small test groups, the results are virtually the same.

But when studying the same number of people who smoke cannabis, they are found only to have the same likelihood of developing cancer or less, than non-mokers.

Not only does this indicate that it doesn't cause cancer, even in the heaviest of smokers (if you go through less than 2 pounds a year, you're not considered as heavy a smoker, as some folks in the studies :D ), but it indicates that even normal very light and infrequent use may have preventative qualities.

This is a MUCH more reasonable assumption to make (than assuming it causes cancer) when taking all the studies into consideration, and where we know for a fact that it has preventative and even curative qualities against cancer when it is eaten, and used topically.

"May 23, 2006 -- People who smoke marijuana do not appear to be at increased risk for developing lung cancer, new research suggests.
    While a clear increase in cancer risk was seen among cigarette smokers in the study, no such association was seen for regular cannabis users.
    Even very heavy, long-term marijuana users who had smoked more than 22,000 joints over a lifetime seemed to have no greater risk than infrequent marijuana users or nonusers.
    The findings surprised the study’s researchers, who expected to see an increase in cancer among people who smoked marijuana regularly in their youth.
    “We know that there are as many or more carcinogens and co-carcinogens in marijuana smoke as in cigarettes,” researcher Donald Tashkin, MD, of UCLA’s David Geffen School of Medicine tells WebMD. “But we did not find any evidence for an increase in cancer risk for even heavy marijuana smoking.” Carcinogens are substances that cause cancer.
    Tashkin presented the findings today at The American Thoracic Society’s 102nd International Conference, held in San Diego.Boomers Reaching Cancer Age
    The study population was limited to people who were younger than 60 because people older than that would probably not have used marijuana in their teens and early adult years.
    “People who may have smoked marijuana in their youth are just now getting to the age when cancers are being seen,” Tashkin says.

A total of 611 lung cancer patients living in Los Angeles County, and 601 patients with other cancers of the head and neck were compared with 1,040 people without cancer matched for age, sex, and the neighborhood they lived in.
    All the participants were asked about lifetime use of marijuana, tobacco, and alcohol, as well as other drugs, their diets, occupation, family history of lung cancer, and socioeconomic status.

The heaviest marijuana users in the study had smoked more than 22,000 joints, while moderately heavy smokers had smoked between 11,000 and 22,000 joints.
    While two-pack-a-day or more cigarette smokers were found to have a 20-fold increase in lung cancer risk, ***no elevation in risk was seen for even the very heaviest marijuana smokers***.

The more tobacco a person smoked, the greater their risk of developing lung cancer and other cancers of the head and neck. But people who smoked more marijuana were not at increased risk compared with people who smoked less and people who didn’t smoke at all." \t\tPot Smoking Not Linked to Lung Cancer

And there's probably a half-decent chance that some of those cannabis smokers, who were at the same risk level as 100% non-smokers, were using tobacco on and off during their lives... yet, their numbers remain low. ;)

It's much harder to prove that a substance doesn't do something, than it is to prove that it does... but so far, we've never been able to prove that smoking cannabis can cause cancer.

So just you let us know once you've found one, of course after you set up a study covering thousands of people, because you'll be the first, and I'm sure people would like to know! :D

10. Tell that to the 0 people who have gotten cancer from it.

11. Someone must have got cancer from it, c'mon.... I aint saying it 'causes' cancer but man, people have got cancer from all kinds of random shit and pretty much 99% of cancer deaths are not checked out.

My dad died of lung cancer, ok he smoked a lot but they didnt rip him open and say "yup, the cause of this cancer was smoking"... (extreme example but you get the idea).

Bottom line:

Is cannabis smoke carcinogenic? Yes it is, fact!

Is there somthing in cannabis that inhibits the growth of cancer cells? Yes.. fact!

Does mixing Cannabis with tobacco decrease your chances of getting lung cancer? No, studdies suggest it may increase it.

Does smoking pure weed increase your chances of getting Cancer? No, nothing have been proven to suggest this.

Does smoking cannabis increase your chances of getting lung disease? Yes.. Smoking anything increases your chance of getting lung disease.

So by smoking pure cannabis you in the clear from lung cancer? Yes and No... Cannabis is illigal so unless you are 100% sure you know were you weed comes from you are suseptible to all kinds of problems.

12. [quote name='"tofurocks"']I've heard people say that you cannot get cancer from smoking weed, but you are inhaling tar which can cause cancer..
    So unless you're vaporizing, the possibility is still there.
    I don't see any way this couldn't be true..[/quote]

Tar doesn't cause cancer persay. Carcinogens CAN cause cancer. We still don't really know precisely why certain things cause it and others don't. Tobacco can cause cancer. Tobacco also has carcinogens and tar, but so do other things that don't cause cancer nearly as much.

It's true that smoke isn't good for your lungs, and tar can build up in your lungs - but that doesn't cause cancer. It could cause a cough, and decreased lung capacity.

Either way, marijuana isn't all that bad for your lungs - especially if you filter it through water, or better yet use a vape.

But we know that it doesn't cause cancer. Studies have shown it actually decreases tumor size and risk for cancer - including lung cancer.

13. #73 BadKittySmiles, Dec 29, 2011
    Just adding to the discussion. :)

:wave:

14. inhaling tar is bad for your lungs, sure, but being bad for your lungs and causing cancer are two very different things.

15. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

know your shit, the cannabinoids may, but the smoke does not lol

but there still are no recorded events of it happening, im sure if you sat and smoked all day every day for like 35 years (i mean like how people smoke cigs, a pack a day is 20 cigs, around 20 grams of tobacco, smoking 20 grams of weed a day MAY cause you some serious issues HAHAHAHAH)[/quote]

I wish I had enough weed to smoke 20 grams a day!

16. #76 SIRSOG, Dec 29, 2011
    [quote name='"Sunn"']inhaling tar is bad for your lungs, sure, but being bad for your lungs and causing cancer are two very different things.[/quote]

If something destroys cells, and is repeated over and over, it can lead to cancer

I'm not sure where you guys have missed that lol

Still not saying cannabis will cause cancer, its the same concept as campfire smoke causing it, its smoke that can cause it, being inhaled over and over, not cannabis, cannabis being smoked obviously involves smoke, smoke destroys cells

The answer is right there, sure cannabinoids may have preventitive properties... but are you guys claiming people who smoke weed can never develope cancer? Because that, is fucking outrageous and ridiculous and untrue.

17. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

If something destroys cells, and is repeated over and over, it can lead to cancer

I'm not sure where you guys have missed that lol

Still not saying cannabis will cause cancer, its the same concept as campfire smoke causing it, its smoke that can cause it, being inhaled over and over, not cannabis, cannabis being smoked obviously involves smoke, smoke destroys cells

The answer is right there, sure cannabinoids may have preventitive properties... but are you guys claiming people who smoke weed can never develope cancer? Because that, is fucking outrageous and ridiculous and untrue.[/quote]

There's never been a case of someone developing cancer from smoking cannabis though.

It's not like if you smoke weed you'll never get cancer - thats ridiculous - but there are people inhaling tar over and over and over (most people here), and there have been for many years. You'd think one of them would actually come down with lung cancer from smoking it right?

18. #78 SIRSOG, Dec 29, 2011
    [quote name='"Heosphoros"']

There's never been a case of someone developing cancer from smoking cannabis though.

It's not like if you smoke weed you'll never get cancer - thats ridiculous - but there are people inhaling tar over and over and over (most people here), and there have been for many years. You'd think one of them would actually come down with lung cancer from smoking it right?[/quote]

There has never been a studied case.... no you are right lol

I'm also not saying you will get cancer if you smoke weed..... I'm saying you can get cancer from repeating cell destruction (how alcohol causes liver cancer, how charred food causes stomach cancer, how uv rays cause skin cancer)

Never once claimed you will get it, I'm saying you could. Also, if you can find me a study done on over 1000 people with lung cancer to prove the cause of it or attempt to find a cause that isn't tobacco, ill back down, unfortunately you won't because they don't do such studies.

You guys are acting like every case of lung cancer on earth has been looked into, you know that isn't the case lol and inhaling particulates can still cause cancer, so by default smoke can cause fucking cancer, studies have proved that particulates can cause it, little has actually been studied on cannabis due to its legality.... and you know that also...

We just happen to find all the studies because we suck up any info about cannabis, but the studies done on it aren't actually monumental or numerous lol... and lots of them claim they do not THINK there is a link, none of them really prove there isn't... nor do you

But again, I'm not saying it will cause it in people, I'm saying it can, I'm also not saying its a leading cause of cancer, you guys need to read what I'm saying....

If, over the history of marijuana, 15 thousand people got cancer from it, the chances we found them would be slim, but it still means it can happen, not that its likely, or something to worry about. I never said we should be worried, I'm just saying... any cell destruction can cause it, so its kinda vicariously involved

19. C'mon kitty…. The example followed the statement, my own first hand personal experience, my Dad..

Again, c'mon kitty, you say no but go on to say it contains carcinogens? wtf, my contribution was simplifying the whole thing… Don't try to dumb it down by saying, well no BUT!.... Is cannabis smoke carcinogenic was the question, not, is cannabis smoke midly carcinogenic.

IMO your splitting hairs here, no they havent been able to prove it, some say because most people dont tell their GP when they are diagnosed that they smoke or have smoked cannabis, there are hundreds of arguments on both sides as to why it has never been proved. They are still unsure why THC inhibits tumour growth, they know it does it but dont know why, they know the effect of the THC in the cannabis smoke somehow reduce the chance of cancer cells forming in your lungs from the rest of the shit your inhaling, but if we stay clearly on the facts here, does cannabis smoke contain carcinogens? YES.... Are there other factors that cancel out these carcinogen.... YES... Totaly 100% zero risk of these carcinogens taking hold? Well.... let me get back to you on that one :)

Yes is is true and if youd have read it first you would see that what you typed above isn't really relevant because in simplified terms, is is carcinogenic? Yes, is there something in it that inhibits the growth of cancer? Yeah… I didn't say anywere that they were the same as tobacco, that isn't in question as far as Im aware, just simply ‘is cannabis carcinogenic and by your own admission the simple answer is yes……. But….. its still a yes.

Depends on your source… There was extensive research done in New Zeland which showed an increase in lung cancer with MJ smokers as opposed to cigarette smokers Cannabis use and risk of lung cancer: a case

No not confussed, I said lung disease as the umberella term for all ‘none cancer' related lung illness and it is true because inhaling super heated burning vegetation into your lungs, no matter what the substance damages your lungs.

This needs to be said if you want people to know the truth, what is the point in Mr Johnny Average walking around thinking he is doing himself no harm whilst inhaling all manner of shit the catels put into their weed.

Again.. just my opinion.... I love cannabis and do think its not that bad for you, but c'mon.... You have to look at both sides of the coin to be taken seriously. Give me some bad things about weed kitty?.... I love all your info and zero zero disrespect at all.... but its not a super drug.

20. sirsog I understand what you're saying, and I could be wrong, but from what I've read, we still aren't really sure what causes cancer.

We have many theories - and most of them are very accurate, and shine light on a lot.

But from my understanding we aren't even entirely sure why tobacco causes cancer, in particular why it causes cancer more than so many other things.

I also firmly believe that if the Government could find a case where someone had lung cancer while smoking cannabis but not tobacco - they would jump on it instantly.

So yes in theory, repeated particle inhalation seems like it has the potential to cause cancer, but due to our surprisingly limited knowledge on what does and doesn't cause cancer - I'm skeptical. There has been a decent amount of research on the subject of cannabis causing lung cancer. And no, none of them definitively say that it doesn't - but I believe that's more due to our current inability to know one way or the other. But the fact that so far there hasn't even been one case says a lot to me.