Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking Cannabis can cause cancer

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by tofurocks, Dec 28, 2011.

1. I've heard people say that you cannot get cancer from smoking weed, but you are inhaling tar which can cause cancer..
    So unless you're vaporizing, the possibility is still there.
    I don't see any way this couldn't be true..

2. smoking anything can cause adverse effects on you and anyone who thinks otherwise lives in lala land

3. Various cannabinoids in cannabis, namely CBD (cannabidiol) and THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), have anti-cancer properties. They inhibit the proliferation of cancer cells through various means, but essentially the anti-cancer properties cancel the effect of the carcinogens in cannabis smoke. More research needs to be done to find out more, but the current studies have promising results :smoke:.

Cannabidiol Inhibits Lung Cancer - Cannabidiol inhibits lung cancer cell invasion and m... [FASEB J. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

4. It actually kills cancer cells. Know your shit. :smoke:

5. Well! Just be sure that you come back and let us know, once you discover the first case of solely cannabis-induced lung cancer. :)

:p

That being said, even besides cannabinoids (primarily THC) being known to kill, and fight cancerous cells, several of the potent 'phytochemicals' or terpenes also contained in cannabis, have very specific and well known anti-mutagenic/anti-cancer properties, some of which specifically pertain to preventing and even curing -lung cancer-.

[FONT=&quot] Such as [/FONT][FONT=&quot]'Peonidin'(a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]anthocyanidin, it is anti-inflammatory, and anti-mutagenic.. meaning it is apoptotic towards cancerous cells, that is, it causes their death and the remains to be either shed, or absorbed and ingested via phagocytes).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    And 'α-terpineol', for instance. Its benefits are: Sedative and anti-mutagenic, considerably effective against small cell lung carcinoma.. in other words, this terpene found in cannabis, can prevent and even destroy certain lung cancers.[/FONT]

Pot Smoking Not Linked to Lung Cancer

"
    May 23, 2006 -- People who smoke marijuana do not appear to be at increased risk for developing lung cancer, new research suggests.
    While a clear increase in cancer risk was seen among cigarette smokers in the study, no such association was seen for regular cannabis users.
    Even very heavy, long-term marijuana users who had smoked more than 22,000 joints over a lifetime seemed to have no greater risk than infrequent marijuana users or nonusers.
    The findings surprised the study's researchers, who expected to see an increase in cancer among people who smoked marijuana regularly in their youth.
    “We know that there are as many or more carcinogens and co-carcinogens in marijuana smoke as in cigarettes,” researcher Donald Tashkin, MD, of UCLA's David Geffen School of Medicine tells WebMD. “But we did not find any evidence for an increase in cancer risk for even heavy marijuana smoking.” Carcinogens are substances that cause cancer.
    Tashkin presented the findings today at The American Thoracic Society's 102nd International Conference, held in San Diego.Boomers Reaching Cancer Age
    The study population was limited to people who were younger than 60 because people older than that would probably not have used marijuana in their teens and early adult years.
    “People who may have smoked marijuana in their youth are just now getting to the age when cancers are being seen,” Tashkin says.
    A total of 611 lung cancer patients living in Los Angeles County, and 601 patients with other cancers of the head and neck were compared with 1,040 people without cancer matched for age, sex, and the neighborhood they lived in.
    All the participants were asked about lifetime use of marijuana, tobacco, and alcohol, as well as other drugs, their diets, occupation, family history of lung cancer, and socioeconomic status.

The heaviest marijuana users in the study had smoked more than 22,000 joints, while moderately heavy smokers had smoked between 11,000 and 22,000 joints.
    While two-pack-a-day or more cigarette smokers were found to have a 20-fold increase in lung cancer risk, no elevation in risk was seen for even the very heaviest marijuana smokers.

The more tobacco a person smoked, the greater their risk of developing lung cancer and other cancers of the head and neck. But people who smoked more marijuana were not at increased risk compared with people who smoked less and people who didn't smoke at all."

6. know your shit, the cannabinoids may, but the smoke does not lol

but there still are no recorded events of it happening, im sure if you sat and smoked all day every day for like 35 years (i mean like how people smoke cigs, a pack a day is 20 cigs, around 20 grams of tobacco, smoking 20 grams of weed a day MAY cause you some serious issues HAHAHAHAH)

7. cancer? :laughing:

8. have you ever exhaled into a towel? yeah.

9. Not to sound rude but there is dozens of threads that end in your exact statement. Smoking marijuana may cause cancer.

10. Very true. :) Inhaling huge volumes of any kind of smoke isn't great for you.. even over-using cannabis can cause temporary discomfort, and shortness of breath. But emphasis on the 'temporary'!

Some people definitely can handle more (or less) smoke without any repercussions at all, but just stop for a while or cut back if you're having trouble, and you'll go back to normal.

If you don't feel better even long after you've stopped smoking, and especially if you somehow feel worse, then you should seriously consider seeing a doctor.. you're either the first patient with permanent cannabis-induced degenerative lung damage, or you've been developing a serious condition which either may, or may not, have been lessened and relieved by your smoking (in which case, you can try vaping, to see if you are alleviated).

Unlike many smoke-related illnesses, which can sometimes be permanent, issues that arise from cannabis smoke almost always (I only say 'almost', because I'm leaving room for error, where I don't personally know every single person or patient, on the planet :p ) tend to clear right up, after abstaining for only a matter of days.

In all my years, I've never heard of a case that didn't clear up with either a little abstinence, or intake adjustment. :hello:

I can only think of a very few people, out of the probably-hundreds of smokers I know, who have smoked cannabis heavily enough to develop issues while smoking.
    And even then, their problems were very often eliminated, without even reducing the amount they smoked at all, but by instead substituting their usual joints and blunts, for glass pipes and bongs.

11. They also say eating canned soup can cause cancer.
    What do they prescribe to cancer patients? Marijuana helps get rid of cancer not cause it

12. seeing as how there is not once case of lung cancer from smoking weed in the history of mankind, i am gonna have to disagree.

13. other people have pretty much said it all and even if it could so does coffee and so does mobile phones u gunna stop using them?

14. Oversmoking can lead to an increased risk of Bronchitus [sp] but cancer... no

15. What dosen't cause cancer these days, lets be smart now.

16. ANY burning organic matter releases carbon monoxide, which is a well known carcinogen.

Anyone who thinks that the relatively small amount of THC and CBD in weed smoke will protect your lungs from smoke that is many times hotter than the air you are supposed to inhale and infused with hydrocarbons could use a refresher course in human anatomy.

17. It doesn't matter anyway... I'm immortal muahahaha
    But if you get cancer from smoking weed, you'd be the first ever, and you would probly get prescribed more weed :D

18. How could you prove such a statement? Forgetting for a second that it is impossible to prove a negative, it's not like you can simply look at a cancerous lung and say "Yep, this one is from cigarette smoking, definitely not weed."

19. I thought they prescribed it to cancer patients to help with symptoms brought on from chemo treatment.