Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking bud and lifting weights, or "The Lester Burnham Experience"

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Tabrias, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Has anyone here experienced significant muscle mass gain while being a regular smoker, and is toking up before a trip to the gym a good idea?

I've been a pretty scrawny guy all my life (right now I'm 118 pounds and 5'6") and I'm kind of tired of that, so I've decided to start the Rippetoe Starting Strength bodybuilding program. I figure it's all well and good as long as I learn everything on that page (dieting, technique, programming, supplements, etc) but one of my friends says that ultimately "marijuana makes you weak." This guy is pretty biased (he hasn't smoked for over a year and he doesn't plan on it) but he's pretty ripped so I wouldn't discount his advice completely.

Judged by that thread on athlete stoners, I know there's a lot of bros on this site that know about this ish. Both short answers and long, detailed responses are fine :D

(In case you're confused by the topic title, Lester Burnham is the main character in American Beauty. Kevin Spacey plays this dude who goes from being a pussy-whipped shell of a man to a badass who
    smokes chronic and doesn't take shit from his wife while doing it. It's a good movie, you should watch it if you haven't already. It pretty much inspired me to start working out)

2. u can smoke and go to gym, theres nothing wrong with that..
    i smoke before i go skating, snowboarding, or biking..

3. Many bodybuilders smoke, it helps them consume the large quantities of food they need, and helps with muscle tightness and soreness. I used to lift a lot, but I was in a car accident last winter and hurt my back, I just finished physical therapy, and once I move in August I will be getting a gym membership again. I smoke 4-5 times a day and am hoping to be an amateur bodybuilder, just like my dad before me. Good Luck

4. Arnold Schwarzenegger used to smoke during his prime as a bodybuilder.

Granted he took steroids that would grow muscle on a rock, but I think if the marijuana was hurting his performance, he wouldn't have been smoking it.

5. Yeah there is something wrong with that. It relaxes yr muscles and your muscle fibers won't fire as quickly. Don't smoke before if you're serious about getting bigger. Smoking after is fine and it won't halt progress at all. Immediately after may hurt a little cuz it could deprive yr muscles of oxygen. But as long as you don't do it before you are good.

6. I've been lifting weights for about 4 years, and smoking regularly for a little over 1. I wouldn't smoke before going to the gym, I've done it before and all it really does is make me not work as hard as I would sober. I agree with the post above me, about not smoking right after, but I think that smoking actually helps to build muscle mass. I heard somewhere that the endorphin spike you get from smoking helps building muscle, but it could be bs for all I know.

7. I've got some.....decent advice for you I guess....

I've been lifting (And just general fitness) for the past year and half, been toking the last 6 months.

From my experience - NEVER toke before going to the gym. Simply put - WHILE high, i feel weak, i cant lift to my full potential, i dont have the physical endurance i do while sober, etc.

I hit the gym every other day - And Im not that big of a dude, Im 6'4", 170, and 5% body fat. So, I'm not a big beefy fucker or anything, but I'm workin at it.

I typically find weed makes me weak and tired the next day if im high when I go to bed. So dont go to bed high the night before you work out! (In my case anyways)

Basically - On a workout day, After i work out I will continue to toke whenever I want until noon the next day. At this time, i let my body recover from the weed and by the time i next work out (the next day) I feel 100%

Good system for me, keeps my tolerance low, keeps me from just living in a 24/7 weed haze, and keeps me in shape.

Good luck

8. I've been going to the gym for atleast 5 days a week for the past 1.5 months. I've also smoked every night. I think that smoking at night really tightens up the muscles after a good workout. I go out, have a quick smoke come back and look a little ripped, maybe its because im stoned but it makes me appreciate the results ive been getting.

I also take cellmass and noxplode supplements which really help out a lot. you need to drink like a gallon of water a day on these, which really helps me with the cotton mouth at night. I usually take a big swig after each hit.

I wouldn't recommend going to the gym high, I always go sober for safetys sake. A few times though, after smoking i'd come back inside and be able to do some superhuman shit like 100 straight pushups. In the end i think bud really goes hand in hand with working out, plus you work all the toxins out at the gym the next day.

9. I smoke and go to the gym all of the time, It's real easy for me because weight lifting is just a lot of repetition. I wouldn't go to the gym for the first time stoned, you need to know what you are doing and then It is really easy. I joke with my friends all the time of how I'm going to write a magazine or do a video called "Stoned And Toned." Warning: getting stoned and going to the gym may cause you to look at yourself excessively haha

PS: I' have never put up as much weight working out legs as i can when I'm High. Ive been working out for the past four years but going to the gym stoned has been a reletivly new idea this past year. My friends on the othercan cannot even tolerate being in the gym while high, it depends on what kinda person you are i suppose

10. I find smoking before working out in any way enhances my abilitiy as well as makes the activity that much more fun. I blaze before going for a run and then running is extremely amusing and I feel I can push myself further while high just because of my state of mind. When I toke before hitting the gym I get pumped up (THC does raise your heart rate) and feel absolutely awesome while lifting. If it works for you, go for it. If not you might want a plan of toking/working out like lordchronicx.

11. I prefer working out sober but taking a huuuuge bong rip as soon as I walk in the door after going to the gym. When I'm sober I feel like I put more effort in my work out and have more of a "just one more rep" attitude towards the end of my sets. I've tried working out stoned and all it does is make me feel sloppy and as if there are a bunch of people staring at me.

12. Yup, I put on either some gangster ass rap, or hardcore rock, and just start lifting.

Waaaay better mental attitude and work ethic toward fitness when im sober.

13. I have gained muscle since I started toking. I actually found motivation and yearned (I dont know if thats a word) to ruin stoner stero types and took a interest in working out and reading.

14. If you really wanna get into it, it prob isn't good at all to smoke before bed. Yr body does most of its recovering and growing while you are asleep. Instead of that it has to rid itself of the toxins first (natural response). If you're looking to be a serious lifter then I would follow that but if you just lookin to get bigger and so forth and what have you haha then don't sweat it. Just see what works for you, everyone is different.

15. I've been lifting for a bit over 2 years now. I've been smoking for most of that time, and I find that my high is quite diminished once I exert my self to the degree required for proper lifting. I like having my post workout shake, and then blazing. I find it helps to relax me so im not so pumped right after.

As for bud actually helping you gain weight - it's true, and it's due to the munchies.

Here is a study that shows what effect mj actually has on your sex hormones; they found that the phytoestrogens in mj dont adversley affect these levels:

A new study by Dr. Robert Block at the University of
    Iowa disputes the commonly held notion that marijuana alters
    the level of testosterone and other sex hormones.
    The study contradicted a widely publicized 1974 study
    by Dr. R.C. Kolodony, which reported decreased testosterone
    levels in men who smoked marijuana chronically.
    The U. of Iowa study found that chronic marijuana use
    had no effect on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle
    stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men or women.
    Noting that six other studies had failed to show
    lowered testosterone levels in men, Dr. Block concluded: "It
    appears that marijuana, even heavy use of the kind that's
    typical in the United States, doesn't alter testosterone levels."
    However, he cautioned that heavy use might have other
    adverse effects, including "possible effects on reproductive
    function and mild, selective cognitive impairments associated
    with heavy, chronic use."
    Block's study is published in Drug and Alcohol
    Dependence, Vol. 28: 121-8 (1991).

16. A chronic user can experience gyno (man boobs) ecspecially if you are prone to it.

17. Yeah I've seen a pic of him smoking a joint while hes about to finger some lady. While he doin it there was a group of people with him, and they were all laughing. It was really weird!

18. I could not agree with you more on that haha

19. a year ago.. bout last summer.. when I didn't smoke as much but didnt work out as much I was 135 and at the beginning of my prior school year I started working out about 2 or 3 times a week and smoking pretty much everyday, sometimes more than once a day. I've pretty much kept the same workout schedule and I can't remember a time since christmas I went sober.. I'm now 165. I workout for an hour each gym visit by the way.

20. To OP:

Sry bud but u have a body like mine, your skinny, you have a high metabolism and unless you can manage to eat 1000 calorie meals 8 times a day, you won't gain shit. I started lifting about 6 months ago, the same time I started to smoke weed. I've lifted high before and you cannot even get close to your full potential.

Anyways the best you are going to look is being ripped as fuck, take your skinnyness to an advantage. I have veins that pop out of my arms when I am not even lifting, I am cut as shit.

What you should do is just lift, find a rutine you like and stick with it. But you need to change your routines, and if you know anything about lifting this will make sense.

Ex: monday - arms
    weds - chest
    thursday - shoulders
    friday - legs

week 1) 3 x 10 2) pyramid like this 10 8 6 3) 5 x 5 4) 3 x 20

Here a pic of me of what I look like now, I am no where near big, but I look good.

[​IMG]