Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking before and after surgery

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by fountaincityman, May 14, 2018.

1. Is there any danger in smoking before or after surgery?
    I have to give blood and urine for pre-surgery testing, is THC something they look for?
    Can smoking weed mess up the anesthesia?
    After surgery I will be in the hospital for 4-5 days. I will have to go to physical therapy afterwards and I will be on some heavy duty pain killers (opiates.) Is there any side effects to smoking weed and taking Vicadin?

2. It's possible being high during surgery could cause low blood pressure problems (easily treated) but after it's out of your system it can't harm you. I don't think there's a universal rule on whether or not they drug test you before surgery, ask your doc if it's important for you to know. It also could depend on the type of surgery. My wife works in pre-op and recovery and she says her docs will test you if they suspect something, you tell them you smoke pot, or if you use mmj. She says when they ask you if you've taken drugs deny it or they will test you. You could ask the phlebotomist what tests she's drawing blood for but I suppose that would be too late.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Good to know. I assumed they would not test, but an OR person would know. I imagine it's a good thing to know if someone might react negatively to anesthesia because they have cannabis on board.

4. It would take a hard core pothead with brain damage to go into surgery high.....but now that I think about it, maybe it would be a trip.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I've stopped smoking for the two weeks before surgery. I did not plan on smoking the day of surgery, but I'm sure I have plenty of THC in my system. I'm going to wait a week before giving my blood and urine samples, hopefully the levels will be at least slightly decreased by then. I only smoke about an eighth every month.