Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking and Type 1 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by caligr33n, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Hey I was just wondering if anybody here has type 1 diabetes and if so, does smoking affect it at all? Thanks

2. Do you mean does it affect your blood sugar levels, or does it help your symptoms?:confused:
    Do you have neuropathy or other diabetes complications? Gastroparesis? Do you have celiac?

Cannabis is very good for many complications of Type 1 Diabetes.

3. See my sig? There is a rather large section on "DIABETES" in the first link!

READ! :D

EDUCATE YOURSELF! :hello:

Granny :wave:

4. I've been Type 1 for 31 years. I am thankfully complication free thanks to a really regimented effort to be healthy. Cannabis doesn't negatively affect my bloodsugars at all. In fact, if anything, it tends to lower them, which I try to be careful about. I use a pump, and that has been great for control. When I was younger, I was reckless and drank and smoked too much. But now that I am older, its just another treatment method (I have Crohn's and Celiac as well, which prompted me to try cannabis again.) It worked like a charm to keep my stomach/guts happy. Problem is, I am in a non-mmj state. Been without now for a month. Energy levels are definitely down. Depression is up. (I get depressed from all this stuff wrong with me!) But as far as the Diabetes goes, cannabis is a total non-issue for me. Nothing "bad" has come of it for me. Eyes are great. Blood pressure is fine, etc. I worry about the drugs I'm on for the Crohn's waaaay more. ;)

5. I am on the pump right now and have been for about 7 years or so, I dont have any complications because I have been pretty healthy. I just started college last year and drank a lot and realized how bad that is and was just looking at the effects of mj, but I can really only find positive things about diabetes and mj, maby not the smoking part but maby ill look into a vape. Thanks for all the feedback :)

6. smoking directly does not effect diabetes but diabetes patient have higher risk of heart disease, and smoking increases heart beat. so diabetic patient should avoid smoking.

7. Smoking is not good for health. Smoking will not affect your blood sugar, however, smoking causes may accelerate diabetes related complications. Health problems are the obvious disadvantage to smoking. Smoking can lead to lung cancer and chronic lung problems.

8. I thought the OP was asking about Cannabis not Cigarettes.

9. ^ there are alternative ways to medicating.

10. #10 Storm Crow, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2010
    Dang, Rock, just where are you getting your info? D.A.R.E.? The DEA? Harry Anslinger?

"Smoking is not good for health. "

Well first off, smoking is NOT the only way to use cannabis! Besides vaporizing and e-cigarettes, there are tinctures (both alcohol and glycerin), pills and capsules, "breath strip" delivery systems, edibles of all sorts (including diabetic friendly ones), and even suppositories! :p Also the physical cost of smoking cannabis is not the same as smoking tobacco as evidenced by -

"Smoking Pot, Cigarettes Ups COPD Risk (news - 2009)
    Smoking Pot, Cigarettes Ups COPD Risk

From the article-

• The incidence of COPD among participants who smoked cigarettes alone was 2.7 times higher than among nonsmokers.
    • The incidence of COPD was 2.9 times higher among participants with a history of smoking both cigarettes and pot, even after controlling for other risk factors for the pulmonary disease.
    • COPD risk among people who smoked marijuana, but not tobacco, was slightly higher than among nonsmokers, but the increase was not statistically significant.

Do the math! 2.9 (cannabis and tobacco) - 2.7 (tobacco alone) = .2 (the additional risk smoking cannabis confers on tobacco smokers). Damage from "Cannabis only" smoking was " not statistically significant".

"Smoking will not affect your blood sugar",

Actually it DOES lower blood sugar, I'm diabetic (type 2) and toking does lower my blood sugar. Others have reported this also. The "munchies" is a result of a blood sugar drop. Smoking tobacco will not affect blood sugar as far as I know.

"however, smoking causes may accelerate diabetes related complications."

Actually, just the opposite is true of cannabis!

Cannabidiol Preserves Retinal Neurons and Reduces Vascular Permeability in Experimental Diabetes (abst - 2004)
    Cannabidiol Preserves Retinal Neurons and Reduces Vascular Permeability in Experimental Diabetes -- Liou et al. 45 (5): 860 -- ARVO Meeting Abstracts

Cannabidiol lowers incidence of diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice
    (full - 2005)
    Cannabidiol Arrests Onset of Autoimmune Diabetes in NOD Mice

Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy (news - 2006)
    Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy

Cannabidiol Attenuates Myocardial Dysfunction, Fibrosis, Inflammation, Cell Death and Interrelated Signaling Pathways Associated With Diabetic Cardiomyopathy (abst - 2009)
    Abstract 3829: Cannabidiol Attenuates Myocardial Dysfunction, Fibrosis, Inflammation, Cell Death and Interrelated Signaling Pathways Associated With Diabetic Cardiomyopathy -- Rajesh et al. 120 (10018): S868 -- Circulation

"Health problems are the obvious disadvantage to smoking."

No argument if you are talking tobacco- cannabis? go back and read that COPD article.

"Smoking can lead to lung cancer and chronic lung problems."

Marijuana Unlikely to Cause Head, Neck, or Lung Cancer (news - 2000)
    http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20000508/marijuana-unlikely-to-cause-cancerStudy

Finds No Link Between Marijuana Use And Lung Cancer (news - 2006)
    Study Finds No Link Between Marijuana Use And Lung Cancer

{Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer.
    (abst - 2007)
    {Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer. -- Preet et al. 2007 (1): 4749 -- AACR Meeting Abstracts

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows (news - 2007)
    Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

Cannabis as a possible treatment for lung cancer (news - 2007)
    Cannabis as a possible treatment for lung cancer

Now, will you PLEASE click the first link in my sig and EDUCATE YOURSELF? Thank you.

Granny :wave: