Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking and depression

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by zlock, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Just curious...
    I think I've got a little bit of depression lately.... I've been feeling kinda like life never seems to go the way I really want it to, while other people seem to have everything go just their way. I've been sorta bummed out about my whole job situation... I just started working as a seasonal part time'er at Sears, making less than I've ever made at any job before. I'm in college, but really dont know what I wanna do with my life (I know this isnt really unusual, i'm not too worried about this). Right now I wish I could get a job where I could get 40 hours a week and make decent money, all my other jobs have been like 20 hours a week and not TOO bad as far as $$$ goes, but other factors just made it not worth it. (Corrupt managament, horrible working conditions)
    Smoking seems to really sorta put things in perspective for me and makes me not feel as lost/confused about life, i dunno...
    Does smoking weed help other people out with this sorta stuff? is it just me? am i going crazy? haha
    sorry, sorta needed to vent :-/

2. Lay off for a little bit? then start again its wicked makes ya feel a million pounds mate

3. i havnt been smoking much lately, its not that smoking does anything bad for me (Actually quite the opposite)

4. are you on anti depressents? if you are, i'd get off of them. i'm on anti-depressents, and weed + medication = emotional rollercoaster.

also, do you do extacy often? that might be it, too.

5. Maybe look into your life a little bit makes sure your in the right job and the right environment.

6. lol not on any meds and dont do E or anything like that.... its not like my emotions are messed up, its just sometimes i'll like take a step back and look at all my friends who are getting new expensive cars and having all the money buy stupid shit and they're winding up in these good jobs and getting all the hot girls and shit, while i'm bustin my ass with school and trying to find a good, reliable job, stuff like that.....
    I've always really disliked my parents buying me shit or paying for my shit, and have a hard enough time letting them help me out with insurance if i dont have the $$$ or whatever, and it just sorta bugs me seeing everyone else getting shit handed to them (cars, jobs, etc.)
    I dunno.... smoking sometimes is able to relax me and sorta takes the stress outta my mind for a while, and i'm able to let stuff like that not bother me as much.... i dunno.... maybe i'm weird. sorry, just had to vent, lol

7. I smoke when I'm depressed sometimes. It's okay as long as it's not your only way to deal with your problems. It's just a good way to relax and either forget about your problems for a while or figure out a way to tackle them.

Your 20's can be a tough time and a fantastic time. It's the best time to party, make friends, travel, work different jobs, discover what you want to do with yourself, fall in love, get married, and take part in experiences that will give you stories for the rest of your life. There's also a lot of pressure in your 20's. You need to get an education, get a job, get a place to live(if you haven't moved out already), think about the future, and figure out how you're going to spend the next 50-80 years.

I'm 23. There's a lot of great stuff happening in my life right now and a fair amount of bullshit. I never have a day off. I'm either working or at school every day for months before I take a day off. I'm also working like a madman at my music(practice, writing, learning, networking). It's a very exciting and terrifying time. Welcome to the club.

I'm very lucky in that I have an amazing girlfriend who helps me deal with my issues. Talking may not be your coping mechanism but it works for me. Find out what you need to do to deal with the tough stuff and do it. Keep working at what you like doing or want to do and you'll be surprised what you fall into. I've got a vague idea of how I want the next 5 years to go but there's a lot of guess work and trust in the universe involved. Good luck. :)

Wow....that was a long post. Thanks to anyone who read it. :)

8. Thanks for the reply :) With so much going on in my life right now stuff just sorta gets crazy sometimes I guess. I'm only 18, i'm still living at home, just started college a few weeks ago and already am unsure if i wanna stick with business admin as my major, but i'll worry about that when I know what I wanna do instead. LOL
    I just get irritated when I work my ass off and dont have all that much to show for it, when i see my friends not work a bit over the summer then show up in brand new cars and shit, then get jobs pretty much handed to them that pay great and are fun jobs, and they dont take them seriously at all yet they still seem to survive. Thanks for the advice dude :)

9. Go work in the restaraunt industry. Just do yourself a favor and pick a restaraunt that's worth it. Your in Boston, (if my educated guess serves me well) Go to whatever's the cool district and pick a place where you just stand back and say "Shit, I'd love to work there".

Besides... restaraunts don't drug test! Well, at least the local kind of restaraunts don't...

10. Whenever the shit pile gets sky high, Mary Jane has always been there to calm me down, give me a little break, and send me back in with my boots on.

11. Depression really isn't cool, it feels bad. I do anything to avoid it. I'd rather spend the rest of my life shooting up than let depression take a hold of my mind.

12. Hi there.
    Depression can take hold of you no matter how old you are. Genetic or surcustances.
    Take a look at what is going good for you and concentrate on that.
    Pot dosen't cause depression, unless you can't get hold of it. lol
    Smoking too much of it, to a point nothing gets done, can play on your mind, an cause you to feel low.
    College is hard going. Done it myself when I was 17 and again 33. You feel you just want to get out there and make your mark.
    Take a deep breath and go with the flow. Worrying about something, isn't going to make it happen any quicker.
    All the best mate. Peace.:)

13. I smoke because it helps my depression and helps with anxiety and makes it easier to sleep.. But herb is different for everyone.

14. personally weed has helped my depression. many people say that its not a good idea to smoke to get out of depression, but for me it is. it just mellows me out and makes me look forward to life once the bad shit blows by.

15. My daughter went thro a incredable bad time with depression in her early teens. The docs put her on anti's and offered counciling. Nether helped.
    One day, I found on her bedroom floor, while putting her clothes away ( I really did find on her floor. got the highest respect for personal space, to the point, I don't go in their rooms anymore, unless they are their to help them tidy up. Make them do their own rooms. Sorry had to explain, not a nosey mother) some written paper on how the voices wanted to hurt her younger sister.
    Well, you can imagine, very scared for her young mind (14).
    My reaction - took her off the tablets and had a smoke with her instead.
    This relaxed her, gave her mind a break and while high, we talked at length. I became her person councilor. IT WORKED. No more voices.
    Now she is still smoking. Independant, hard working (6 days a week) and not scared of saying what she thinks with compassion.
    She's got her life in prospective, has fun time, smoking time and working time.
    Ive got a hypo boy and can see he will have probs when he's a teen. I'll see how it goes, but may take the same path.
    These kids are victims of abuse (father), which has left them with bad start in life and left them with problem minds.
    I smoked as a teen, and it helped my depression.

16. They also lead you a dogs life.

17. dEAGLE, I'm closer to Lowell than Boston, but I get what you're saying. I'm actually gonna think about it for a while, but its not a bad idea, the restaurant biz...
    Everyone, thanks for the replys. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who finds smoking helpful for this. I guess I'm gonna just work my ass off and not let other shit bother me, smoke my weed, and have fun doing it all. Hopefully shit will start to clear up and things will get better. Thanks again for all the great replys!

18. Self medication is not a substitue for psychological evaluation; I'd still urge you to talk to your doctor about this, and also tell him about the weed. A good psych will not judge, but they do need all the information to make an informed comment.

19. im glad to hear that shes doing ok now, goes to show how fucked up some kind of meds are...what did they have her on if you dont mind me asking :mad:

20. IMO, and this sounds so cliche, i dont care... but it makes you more of a person BECOUSE your busting your ass so damn much. you wont take half as much for granted becouse you have to work so damn hard to get it, and i respect that to the fullest extent! K+ man, seriously. where you be at?