Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking and anxiety question

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by byllistic, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Hi,
    This is a very confusing question and i might not explain it right but ill try.
    I have anxiety along with a few other conditions (ocd , add, depression, SA) and they are all diagnosed so im not just making it up. Anyway, i know some strains and high sativa strains can be bad for anxiety. I buy from random people and random dealers and sometimes they tell me what im buying but not always. When i smoke usually the bad effect is i get into really bad racing thoughts and over analyzation of myself. I realised maybe that is because of sativa and my anxiety. But anyway thats not my question. My qustion is, is it bad that i am smoking random strains that i dont know about when i have anxiety and may be prone to worsening in my anxiety from some strains? Sorry this question is badly written but for some reason im having difficulty thinking right now.

Thanks guys!

2. not a confusing question. I don't know if certain strains are more likely to worsen your anxiety but from my personal experience, smoking has alleviated my anxiety (not when I'm high, but after)

3. When you buy some bud, smoke a little bowl. Just for a buzz but this way you can tell if you will be ok or not. Try before you buy kind of thing. If your dealer isn't into that, try getting the bud through a friend. So if it doesn't work for ya (is a problem) then he just keeps the weed. Sorry if this makes no sense but #Yolo.

4. Thanks for your answers guys, but do you know what strains are good for my conditions and what strains to avoid? i already looked at many lists but my friend wants to grow and hes picking all these seeds and sending me links and i dont know which ones would be alrigt for me and which woudltn

5. Hey man, I have generalized anxiety disorder and I vape to relieve my symptoms. It works incredibly well. I do find a pretty sizable difference between sativas and indicas in terms of effectiveness for the GAD, but sativas can work too. Basically, once you determine that the strain makes you prone to anxiety, you have to smoke small amounts of it. If you have too much of a strong sativa it could send you into a full on panic attack. I recommend vaping 0.2 -0.5g. , or smoking 0.5 to 0.7g. The reason behind the potential of sativas to cause anxiety is that have a low ratio of CBD to THC. CBD or Cannabidiol is an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) which balances the anxiety-creating affects of THC. For people with an anxiety disorder, a low ratio of CBD to THC can be bad news. Unfortunately not all of us have access to dispensaries for one reason or another (Canada's system doesn't really work like that, so I don't either) so finding a high CBD strain can be difficult. If you find a strain that gives you a really solid couch-lock with some increased appetite and makes you sleepy, then you have likely found it. When you know you connect has a strain with those properties, stock up. If you're like me, you'll find indicas instantly smash you anxiety to bits, and make you feel normal again.

In direct answer to your question, NO it is NOT bad that you are smoking random strains to relive your symptoms, you can make sativas work for you by using small amounts, and really focusing on chilling out. I like to listen to music, or do something fun and relaxing like play games or watch a movie to keep me away from thinking about anxiety. Once you do find an indica though, buy a bunch of it (and store it in a mason jar). You can medicate as much as you want with a good indica without having an issue. Hope that helps man, I know what it's like. Keep fighting the fight! :hello:

6. #6 BlazinJazz, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
    In response to your question about specific strains, Northern Lights, most kush strains, or anything indica dominant. Here is a SICK list. If you want something super bomb as fuck I would go with Bogglegum. That one works the best for me.

Marijuana Strain Effects - Leafly

any of these work well. You can make others work for you too though.

7. I vape too! i got a mflb :) but thanks for taking the time to write that it was very informative but im still kind of confused as to what i should be smoking. Indica does make my anxiety and self analyzing go away but i dont really get high i just get tired and thats basically it. Is it alright for me to vape big amounts of sativa? i really love that feeling when i get really happy but im afraid i wont be able to because of my conditions. Can i like build up a tolerance to it so i can smoke any strain and any amount like a normal person?

8. #8 CannabisKills, Feb 27, 2013
    Some people are simply more sensitive to chemicals and the psychoactive experience psychedelics produce.

JP, "Some Ruminations and Tips on Tripping." - 2007, Erowid.

This author is definitely talking about more powerful entheogens, but this still applies to marijuana in a way, because even though cannabis is a mild psychedelic, those who still have sensitive nervous systems will experience more heightened and intense psychedelic states of mind (which in the OP's case includes worsened anxiety and running thoughts).

The anxiety could either be from the weed, or from your bodies own sensitivity which means you have to smoke less, and build up a tolerance to be able to smoke larger amounts. I do not believe marijuana permanently worsens anxiety, once it leaves the system brain chemicals regulate back to normal.

Chances are if you've been smoking for a while you have been also smoking indicas. I think its likely your dealers have gotten a mix of both indica dominant strains as well as sativa dominant strains. This leads me to believe you might just be a little more sensitive to weed since you've probably smoked indica dominant strains (ruling out the possibility of it just being the sativa strains you've smoked). The only way to be positive though is to verify with 100% accuracy your weed is a sativa or an indica, because then you could test both strains and find out if its you somehow only buying and smoking sativas that's causing your problem, or a sensitivity to marijuana.

If your body is sensitive to drugs and this uncomfortably enhances weeds effects then do what I suggested and build a tolerance. If its from smoking sativas then smoke a more indica dominant strain to help overcome the negative effects of the sativa.

Hope this helps.

9. Thanks for your post man but i have been smoking every night for the past month or two so im definatley not sensative to the high! Like, when i smoke i wont get high but my running thoughts will start. When i smoke i have to smoke alot to get high but when im high its not really happiness, its more just like, time passing. Its as if i kind of smoke to distract me from my sober problems i guess. Like i smoke to get high and feel good but i just end up kind of zoning out and analyzing how im thinking and i never get to enjoy my high. I hope im not one of those weak nervous system people because i love when i get actually happy high, even though that has only happened a couple of times :(

10. If you vape every day, once you start to really get a fair tolerance going, you can vape a gram of a bomb sativa and be okay, you would just be less comfortable than you could be. However, I would really reccomend trying to find a hybrid strain that gets you that uplifted feeling that you want as well as a calming relaxation. Again bogglegum would be good for this, as it produces some sweet euphoria as well as strong anxiolytic effects. If you have a fair tolerance and are really used to the different things that can happen to your body and perception when you're high, you can smoke any ammount of any strain. However, having a tolerance sucks a lot, and t-breaks for med patients like me are HELL. The best option is to get your friend to grow a strain that you trust will get you all the effects you need. Or grow it yourself.

11. I have a question for you. Are you smoking top shelf dank? cause that's actually key to all this. Smoking mids and schwag will most def. not help you get that happy high you're looking for.

12. #12 CannabisKills, Feb 27, 2013
    So theres just more of a mind trip then, like you should "feel" high and be euphoric and happy, but all that energy goes toward your anxiety and mind racing, so its as if the only thing you're really feeling is just more of a disconnectedness with your surroundings?

I think what you've described matches being burnt out a little, especially if you've been feeling depressed and anxious lately. If the anxiety is a more long term condition though, then smoking a sativa dominant strain probably isn't the best idea as it could make your symptoms worse.

Think about taking a tolerance break for a few days. Then look into getting indica dominant strains leaning to a more even balance (ex: 60% indica 40% sativa) and this should help get you creative and uplifted while not all lethargic and couch-lock-like, a good mix of both traits from each strain.

13. ps. CannabisKills, I love that you have Terrence McKenna in your sig. He was the fucking man

14. yeah man hes definitely an influential guy.

15. This.

The only time weed has a positive effect on my anxiety is if I get high in the morning, let that high run it's course, then smoke all day. The first high always leaves me prone to anxiety and self-consciousness but after that I'm money.