Smokeys New Grow Box

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Smokey McPott, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,

So I said a long time ago I was going to have a proper attempt at growing some good weed and now finally it is actually coming together, I saved up some money and now have the space where I can put it so I thought Id post a few pics of my box that Im building so I can see what everyone thinks of it and see what I could maybe do to improve it in anyway that I havent thought of.

So down to the box . . . 

Im in the loft so I decided to use polystyrene sheets cut to fit into a wooden frame so that would insualte the grow and hopefully stop too much heat going into the actual loft and potentially getting me caught. Its a 90cm x 90cm x 140cm box.

I put the polystyrene into the frame and cut a hole near the bottom which has a 100mm duct going into it with a 100mm inline fan half way along it which connects to a box Ive made to fit the eaves and suck in fresh air. Then I have a box with a 150mm kitchen extractor fan in it pulling in air through the bottom of the box up through 2 100mm ducts connected to the top of the grow box then the extractor fan has a 150mm duct that will connect to my bathroom duct and exhaust out of the roof vent.

Also I have a 400w Lumatek ballast which Im going to be running at 250w for my first few grows before I switch to the full 400w. I got the 400w because it has both but will save me buying a whole new more powerful one when I want to upgrade.

So here is the box itself so far. Not really the greatest pics but Ill update them in the afternoon (its 5am here now) and do a proper little photo tour sort of thing so you can see it properly but these pics will work for now.
    Pics are when it was first built.
    Door added on.
    Box suspended.
    And finally ducts fitted and door clatches fitted which is how it is looking now.

I still need to hook the exhaust duct up and Im going to use expanding foam to fill the gaps in the edges and possibly paint it.  What do you guys think? What could I do to improve it? Will I be able to grow good weed in this?

Thanks in advance.

Im

Attached Files:

2. Looks like a pretty decent set-up. What's the box lined with? Also you need to check for light leaks on this bad boy. Ideally a grow environment shouldn't have any light getting out or in to the box. 

Thanks. Ill get some better pics up soon, these ones arent really that good, Ive been waiting to fill the cracks with expanding foam but its been way to hot to use it just lately but Ill jump up tomorrow and take a few pics even if its too hot.

Its actually lined with nothing at all at the moment apart from the polystyrene itself, its weird, with the light on inside the polystyrene glows sort of blue, I dont think Ill need to worry about light getting in seeing as the loft is completely dark unless I turn the light on to go up there but I definatley need to light proof it, Ill probably just paint it all white once Ive filled all the cracks with foam.

My fans not doing the greatest job of cooling it at the moment and its been getting up to like 35c up there without the light even on but I think the fans could be having trouble because of all the cracks so loads of hot air from the lofts also being sucked in so well see when Ive foamed it up but Im thinking Ill get a little 9" floor fan to pop in there aswell to keep the temps down and if nessecary Ill wait till it gets a bit cooler to start, its a little while off being ready anyway and I still need to get dirt and seeds.

4. Oh one other thing, whats the general opinion on exhausting through the ridge vent without a carbon filter?

Would the smell drift down to ground level or would it be high enough not to smell?

5. Personally i'd carbon filter it up, unless you can expell the old smelly air directly from the attic space the likelihood is the smell will travel. It depends also on how many plants you intend to grow and what variety. 

There are plenty of other alternatives to Carbon Filters, like Ona Gel or neutralizing air sprays. Carbon Filter is the best though and probably worth the investment if you're planning on growing a few more times.