Smoked/Grilled meats and fish

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by TimJ, Sep 24, 2019.

1. #321 old shol4evr, Oct 22, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    looks ready to me , skin is the best hahaha

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. There’s always more than one way to skin a cat .
    I love to use a good brine .

Brining and then dry rubbing sounds like a winning combination.

That pig took 14 hours to cook.

My grandfather showed me how to cook whole pigs, lamb and goat in a pit dug out in the ground.

Like you were saying, having to bend over all the time to feed the fire is definitely a chore. Especially if you have a pit dug in the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. get a better smoking with the spatchcock method , smoke really gets in there good, far as skin goes, spray bottle is your friend

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I remember you telling me about splitting the bird open @old shol4evr. I just haven't done it yet. I'm not sure I can with the turkey breasts I purchase. I don't think my Masterbuilt is wide enough for a split turkey breast and still allows for good air flow around the bird.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Just finished smoking fatalii peppers , Aji Dulces and Jalapeños using hickory and pecan wood IMG_6372.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Smoked chili powder
    IMG_6381.JPG IMG_6382.JPG

Got the second batch in the dehydrator as we speak . Lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. That is very cool man. Love your smoked chili powder.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Odd, I'm not getting notifications for a thread I actually started. Oh well, here's what will go in the smoker when it comes up to room temperature. It's a rack of ribs cut in half and seasoned with AW's top secret spice rub. I'll smoke with hickory today just to change things up. I'll be using the 3-2-1 method. 20221026_130629.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Thank you @TimJ

I tried it last night on some black beans and Spanish rice . Its not overwhelming spicy. Good flavor and smokiness.
    I actually had to add a little bit extra to get the heat I was looking for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. That looks good already brother. Lol
    That’s going to be smokin good .

• Like Like x 1
  11. I went to the State Fair and their was a bbq vendor selling all sorts of bbq. I ordered the rib plate.

Damn bbq sucked ass . Lol
    Damn ribs were fatty as hell . I always ask for sauce on the side.
    People that don’t know how to cook bbq always try hiding it with bbq sauce.
    These ribs were tasteless without the sauce.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I only use a dry rub on my ribs. They are a tiny bit sweet and a bit of heat. I have to keep the heat mild so only 1 tsp of cayenne pepper and 1 tsp. of chipotle powdered pepper or the girlfriend complains. She wanted McDonalds tonight so these ribs went about 1/2 too long. 20221026_212646.jpg

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Good morning @TimJ.
    Damn those look good . I would have to say that your girlfriend missed out on some good eats . Lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks @Foghorn1130. She hasn't, we are eating the ribs tonight. BTW, McDonalds sucked.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Smoked dehydrated chilies.
    Getting ready to make the second batch of smoked chili powder IMG_6407.JPG IMG_6408.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. I’m not a fan of Ronald McDonald
    LMAO

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. i bought a pack of seeds with 5 difrent type peppers and did the same, i think the banana peppers are what toned my salt down, anyway it was first successful run of peppers, one thing for sure if i want any for myself next year i will have to double up,
    i planted 33 plants and just let them go , watered about once week and thats it , these kids have robbed me for all, the pepper salt and the onion salt and the garlic salt , this year.
    i dont think im do garlic again this year , but do have 3 bundles of onion seedlings to be mailed mid of next month, so around 250 seedlings , we grow the 1015 texas legends and they dont last long hahaha
    i might try my hand at trying to grow some cayenne peppers to get stocked up on them to, if i can hide them that is

• Like Like x 2
  18. I tried garlic once before and it didn’t do so well .
    But onions I love to grow.

• Like Like x 2
  19. My little brother brought these home from a visit to Mexico for me. I think he said they are used to chasing off bad spirits. 20221027_132521.jpg I believe they can be hydrated and used at any time. I wouldn't use these as they are dusty and even have some dust webs on them. We have 9 foot ceilings and they are a bit out of the girlfriends reach to dust/clean. My onions bombed this year a few tree's grew since last year and shaded my bed out. I didn't grow garlic this year. My older brother grows enough for all of us.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Yes , they call it a ristra.

I’ve never heard of it being used to ward of bad spirits, but then again I’m not practicing voodoo or Santeria. Lol

• Like Like x 1