Smogs 2nd run of Afghan Goo in a SOG

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by BossSmogHog, Mar 29, 2012.

1. #1 BossSmogHog, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
    alright so i got the 1st run out of the way and im quite surprised by my first time growing. things turned out quite well even though i had some trouble and some screwups but hey it was my first time. at the moment the flower table is filled with the afghan goo mothers, i kept one to veg in a bubble bucket. theyre all in different weeks except the first two and the last two, its going to be a shame about the last two cause the way its going to happen, because i dont have enough light, whether theyre ready or not theyre going have to get out of the table for when the clones are done vegging, and they still have 6 to 8 weeks, but the clones should be ready to go in the table in 4 to 5 weeks. i need to get the whole 3x6 on a set schedule and im going to with these clones when theyre done. i dont want to keep 2 600w lights banging for two plants that are only filling half the table.

my setup:
    nutes are flornova
    veg 8 bulb t5, 3x3 flood table
    flower 8x8 tent 2 600w hps 3x6 table

this time though im shooting for huge colas and just colas no long branches with hairy buds on the ends, and hopefully an oz a plant. the goo did grow some nice colas so im thinking this can be done. i have a bunch of clones which once they root im going to put as many as i can fit in a 3x3 under an 8 bulb t5, veg them for about 2 weeks, then put the best 60 to 70 depending on how many are looking good in the 3x6 table.

the thing that has me wondering is when is the best time to trim the lower four branches so i just get a fat thick cola. im figuring it would have to be during flower about the time that they are done stretching, but then ive read you shouldnt trim on a plant for atleast a week before flower cause it stunts the plant, but if i trim on them during the veg, during those first 3 weeks of flower its going to grow more branches and stretch those out. i did trim on them a little last time during flower and i didnt see anything bad about it, ill figure it out when i get there. anyone done what im trying to do got some hints or tips? ild like to be able to hide a pop can behind these colas, and ive seen the potential of the goo, even when i screwed it up when it had just a few weeks left i had fat buds.

the clones are only a week old and i still have to set up the 3x3 and hang the light ill get some pics posted soon. also will an AC help keep humidity down? in the tent the humidity is out of control, i didnt have any mold but my filter clogged up and the smell got out of hand. i have a dehumidifier but i need something else.

2. set up table and light, well the table still needs plumbing but besides that im happy with it

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      334.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      398.4 KB
      Views:
  3. whats up man? nice to see someone reading and interested in my grow. you should check out my first grow the titles 3x6 table 2 600s or something like that. but i had 6 multibranch plants that covered half the table then 30 some plants with no veg what-so-ever, and in all i got around a pound. the bigger top nugs on the 0 veg plants were on average 7 grams, im hoping to get more this time around cause i fucked the last run good which u will read if u check it out. im not clear on what nfts is though,

so anyways saturday everything was rooted, well pretty much so i put each clone in its own lil pot and turned the water on. at the moment right now i have 85 clones of the afghan goo but a number will probably still need to be trashed. i really dont know what happened this time when i cut clones, the first time just about everything survived this time tho over half have died. i also have 2 blue dream seedlings in smart pots. going to mother those out so i have something other than just the goo, im not knocking the goo but another flavor would be nice. im not sure how many ill put in the table, it depends on a few things plus i want to throw some outside for the summer, i just keep hearing outdoor is where its at, if you can find a safe place to do it.

but heres some pics of how it looks now the clones the mother and whats in the table now. here in a week or two, two of the plants, the ones in the back will be coming out, ones looking real good the other not so well little buds leaves are falling off ill maybe save some nugs but i hate trimming those little hairy buds so ill probably just throw it all in the trmiming pile and make some hash, im hooked on hash now never really had any till i had my own shit going. but so alright then a week after those two go another, the one thats sitting sorta in the middle of the table will be ready, and that one is covered in tops ill get some good pics here in a few days of its nugs. but the bigger plants, at the closer end of the table, still need a month or more before theyre ready.

thank god its tax time gonna get another 600w and i want an adjust-a-wing, then imma use that light to finish off the last two once the clones are done vegging and are ready to go in the table.

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      667.8 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      613.4 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      526.9 KB
      Views:
  4. alright well first off plans may change, mainly because about a third of them clones didnt make it, im not real surprised the ones that were trashed looked like trash when i took em out of the domes, but now im down to like 48. because of the drastic decrease in the number of clones and the possible outdoor harvest, will need to cut clones again and have a mix grow of plants in the table with a few weeks of veg and then some with 0 veg, but put them in the table at the same time, and really all depends on how many i want to put outside, and well i was figuring that about 60 plants with 0 to a little bit of veg would fill the 3x6 nicely. i dont know what went wrong with these clones, only a quarter of clones that i cut lived, that sucks, that was a waste of a lot of stuff. ill probably get some pics sometime this week the night before i decide to take down the ones that need to come down.

5. Sorry to hear about the lost clones. I used to do mine in Jiffy Pellets, and they worked most the time, but with mixed results. Since switching to an aerocloner, I've had 100 % success rate with clones, I highly recommend looking into them. They're very easy to use, and you get great, consistent results.

Things looking good otherwise, Looking forward to following along. :smoke:

6. yeah man losing all those clones suck. im really thinking about getting one of those ez cloners or making one. ive been wanting to get one but the price for one at the store is pretty high and the moneys been going elsewhere. though in the next few days ill have one either hand made or premade.

heres an update pic of the clones vegging. theyre doing pretty good, cant tell how tall they are from the pic but theyre blowing up nicely.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      530.7 KB
      Views:
  7. alright well found a cheapo cloner for $120 64 sites, which is perfect to fill the table. its in the mail. no hassle of jimmy rigging one, bought a new meter and my res is way hot going have to make some time to dump it and make a fresh one soon seeing how three of the five will be ready to come out within 2 weeks, leaving the other two for another 3 weeks, they need to be flushed. buds are nice and getting fatter by the day.

i did FIM most of the clones, i think its going to be interesting in the next few days. i hadnt been to the garden for a few days and the taller blue dream grew into the light screwed up some leaves but i topped it and FIM the other one. hope to goodness i get 60 good clones off the mother when the time comes, its pretty big but 60 is a big number gonna need to move some lights around so itll blow up, cause right now its like half under the t5 fixture and then for the other half i just have a single cfl, like a 70w or something, plus its a red spectrum. i have a couple 125w that i was vegging with, probably build something to hang those from. groan if its not one thing then its another and then ive forgotten something else.

after the weekend ill have updated pics going be doing a bunch o work apparently.

8. Nice find on the cloner, that's a good price. I paid $70 just for an 8 site. I guess I can't complain, it works great, and I don't have a use for too many clones quite yet. Some advice: trim the inner corners of the neoprene inserts so that you can see light through them when they're closed. The hole must be small enough to support the plant, but large enough to not choke the clones. I hadn't done this for the first run I did, and they stayed green for weeks, but never rooted; then the stem got soft and rotted. Since remedying the situation, I've had no problems at all.

9. thanks man, yeah its called the clone king 64, and 64 is perfect for filling the table. hell even 50 would be fine thats like 3 a square foot, going straight from a rooted clone and seeing what this strain did in the first run ill be happy with 50 to 64. i mean the first run i screwed up the most of the clones and out of 30 there was only a hand full that were good and strong but those strong ones grew to around 20 inches tall and had some heavy nugs, nowhere near the goal of an oz a plant, but with strong clones from the get go a little bit of time to veg and then some proper trimming i think its possible, maybe not a whole oz but close. the original plan was 72 clones, thats 4 a square foot and that was even feasible too, though i did not trim the lower four branches and it was thick in that lower canopy, like a jungle. ive been thinking too about the whole vegging before flowering with SOG, im thinking its not needed maybe a week to sort out the shit from the gold but thats it, though with a different strain that doesnt work too well in sog or straight from clone ild have to veg. im not sure, ive only been at this, hands on my own thing, for about 4 months, and only this strain as well, so there is a lot of things im just not hip to. ild like to stick mainly with indicas just cause they stay reasonably short, turn over is quick and i like the buzz, the couch lock. anyone know if sativas can be put into flower straight from a rooted clone? i just figure they wouldnt work well like that.

10. Yeah, you can go 12/12 with either of them. I'll be planning to do SOG eventually as well. till then, I'll just constantly have 8 clones in veg to move to flood trays for flower. I'm a fan of the couchlock stone myself.

11. alright heres the new pics of the clones. they are doing awesome only problem now when i go to transplant will probably have to cut the square plastic pots to little itty bitty peices so i dont F the roots up.

the blue dreams are growing nicely, ive had to top and i also FIMd them, they are responding to that well. i dont get to the garden everyday or even every other day and twice now the Dreams have grown up into the light, which my fault i really want the light as close to the clones as i can make but these blue dreams, i guess im treating them like second rate citizens, but fuck the seedlings are just too tall i want the light closer to the mass of clones, oh well needs and wants and im rambling check out the jungle and thats a pic of the blue dream im going to be keeping clones from its just been shorter healthier looking than the other Dream

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      588.7 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      432.8 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      312.3 KB
      Views:
  12. #13 BossSmogHog, May 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2012
    day 71 for this plant

found mold today on the fattest of the fat nugs on two of the plants not too surprised helluva buzzkill decided to cut down three of the plants but only got to one started late. tomorrw will most likly cut the other one thats around 60 days

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      646.1 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      484.1 KB
      Views:
  13. so the spot to veg these for outdoors fell through and they just keep getting bigger. i've started LSTing the Blue Dreams cause they were just getting so tall, the stems are stiff and strong enough, but they kept growing into the t5 and well even that helped cause it made me top them and they are doing pretty well. everything is blowing up in the veg. in the pics you can see the blue dreams in the third best

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      498.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      570.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      525.5 KB
      Views:
  14. Those are some huge bushes man, very impressive.

15. thanks man theres 48 in there. i was not thinking they were going to be in there that long neither. the roots are all going to be tangled up and will probably fuck up a bunch of em just getting them out

16. well its been a while. shit did not work at all, probably cause i waited too, well not exactly but close enough. i transplanted the ones that were in the table to soil pots cause that was the plan to get an outdoor crop going but they were just too big to go from hydro to soil im guessing and they were shocked to hell, and there were some monsters in there, but out of 48 only 31 grew the rest were left to die in the shade. i had transplanted 24 and maybe out of those, 3 look decent, not a good decent but a survivable decent. i dont care really about the outdoor, i like my indoor where only me and my dude know about it and its not out there for the world to find.
    the blue dream seedlings have really blown up tho, ill get some pics once my camera charges. they are huge gonna get a lot of clones from those. i need to do some research about blue dream. anyone have XP with it?

17. alright here are some pics finally. things arent going so well i took like 30 out of the table and i have 12 left, a few look like crap but also a few look like they are finally turning around. and the other pics are of the blue dream seedlings

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      702.8 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      534.9 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      610 KB
      Views:
  18. the mother burned out to. dont know what happened to her, but for the last few weeks branches have been stunted and shits been dying on her, and yellowing real bad. i was trimming the bad stuff off but i didnt check on things for a weekend and when i came in she was all wilted and dried up like an old hooker. so once i get the table set back up ill most likely be doing a SOG of the Blue Dream. also a little bit of research on Blue Dream showed me that its great for zero veg and has a real prominent main cola, plus its really good smoke so im looking forward to it now. the afghan goo, i have 7 or 8 going in the 3x3 with the Blue Dreams, and i did transplant them to 6 inch net pots instead of those 3 inch square plastic pots. frustrated that i had to stop the cycle, that everything is kind of put on hold for this outdoor and it seems like before they even get outside theyre all going to die one by one before they get outside and once they do, hell if theyre shocked enough stunted, if they survive till harvest the yield could suck. i just want to get em out of the tent and get back to making bud every 10 weeks.

19. theres 10 in dirt and theyre turning around finally. took some clones of the blue dream to try out the new cloner and to work out any kinks. ill post something in a few days if the clones are a go or no go