Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smell vents through to my neighbors apartment...help!!!

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Spiral Out, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Yooooo a big what's good to all the blades!
    I'm in need of help and my story is a bit lengthy, so skip to the last paragraph if you're just looking to get to the point...

My buddy and I just moved into an apartment over the weekend. On move in day our landlord informed us that our building (a 4 room building) has central air and the unit is based in our apartment. Didn't think it'd be a big deal though, the place is great, our landlord is cool, and as soon as we got settled, we got high. The very next night our neighbor knocks on our door to tell us that she can smell the weed coming through her vents. She was cool about it, didn't act all pissed off and clearly didn't want to make this anyone else's issue but our own. She just asked us to either smoke outside or find a way to stop the smell. We happily obliged, apologized for the smell, and did our best to stop the problem. The next day passed without incident but just this morning she came over to complain again. Again, she stressed that she doesn't "mean to be a bitch" (her words), but the smell bothers her and she's afraid it's going to stick to her clothes. Perfectly understandable. She again was very reasonable and made it clear she doesn't have a problem with weed, just the smell. We again apologized and promised that it would stop. We really really reeeaaallly don't want to test her patience, seeing as my room mate and I have clean records and we'd like to keep them that way (though we don't think she'd call the police she might call the landlord, and we would certainly be evicted, no doubt about it).

SO! Here's the dilemma: We've covered all the necessary vents, sealed off open doorways with blankets and tapestries, confined our smoking to one room, keep the windows open, blow our smoke into a fan pointed towards the open windows and burn incense every time we toke yet she STILL insists she smells it. I doubt it could even be that strong of an odor at this point, but unfortunately weed is still illegal so the ball is in her court. I'm going out to buy an air purifier (an expensive one) tonight, which I have been told by some will fix the problem but I'd still like some reassurance. So help me out brothers and sisters...anyone ever had this problem? Anyone have a solution??

Thanks for the help and happy burning!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Do you keep the vents sealed for at least a few hours after? It's possible they have an air exchanger and the ambient air is recirculated.

Maybe you're blowing the smoke out the window and it travels into her open window?

A HEPA filter will work very well, or a carbon filtered sploof.

3. im gonna say (this is going back to college days) just use a spoof! toilet paper tube, couple dryer sheets balled up and one on the end held in by a rubberband. exhale through it. done.

4. Yeah we keep them totally sealed off but she says its still coming through...wouldn't get into her apartment from our window though.

And the purifier i'm about to buy is a HEPA model, that with a spoof would help, so thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully the purifier does the trick

5. Well I doubt you want to accept this since of course its a new apartment and all, but DONT smoke in there anymore. It obviously leaves too much room for problems to arise. :)

6. How right you are! We would absolutely just smoke outside but unfortunately we live on a decently busy street and have a group of friends we see daily...and we all look like stoners...eventually people would wonder about the 8 hippies huddled in a circle on the street corner every night lol....

And beside that (this is where any maturity I have takes a back seat) it's my apartment dammit! I hate knowing I'm bothering other people, but sometimes i just gotta space out on my couch and burn one in peace, know what I mean?

• Agree Agree x 1

7. Yeah I got you, but think about how it will be the day your landlord or even worse the police come knocking on the door because of a "smell". Or you can just get a crappy apartment like me that doesn't have any vents so smoke lingers around for hours with no smell escaping the room :)

8. I thought about building one of these when I first moved in to my apartment, then realized almost everyone is cool with puffing so that's a plus. It sounds like it may be worth your time to make though. Make this ONA bucket, if that's not enough make a carbon filter (flobee) like smoke buddy.

ONA Bucket:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/728452-diy-ona-odor-control-bucket-cheap-easy.html

Smoke Buddy:
    Smokebuddy Personal Air Filter

I hope you didn't just go blow a bunch of money on a air purifier, you can DIY very good units to rid smell for cheap.

9. Yeah you make en excellent point....unfortunately if we had known about the air vents BEFORE move in day there might not have ever been a move in day lol. But we do like our place and we'll do what he have to in order to smoke in peace

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Don't smoke in your house for a couple days, I have a feeling that even though you aren't smoking weed, she will knock on your door and complain. It just sounds like she's trying to harsh your mellow. There's no way she smells weed, with you blowing it out the window, With a fan and incense, AND all the vents covered. I think she's just paranoid that she's going to smell like weed.

11. Exactly! This is what my roommate and I think...I used to have this problem when I lived with my parents, they were so paranoid about me smoking that even if I hadn't they'd still accuse me of smelling like smoke or having red eyes or something. I know she's got some kind of job in politics, so I don't blame her for not wanting her clothes to smell or something but i agree with you, I think even if we smoke elsewhere for the next couple days she may still say she smells it....guess the only way to find out is to smoke elsewhere for a few days!

12. To whoever put this in apprentice tokers...why?
    I'm asking a question that would be best answered by seasoned tokers, specifically older blades who have rented an apartment before...does it make sense why I'd post it in seasoned? I don't wanna make problems or complain, but if you'll notice that after it was moved from ST to AT, no one has responded to it, and the move has therefore been detrimental to my problem. Thanks for that.....

13. All questions are moved to the AT section. It's just the forum policy.

To be honest I don't really know what the ST section is for. It isn't stories because we have a RL stories forum, it isn't questions because that's what the AT is for, it isn't about high-end cannabis enjoyment because that's what the toking tools and stash jar sections are for...I guess it's for people to go and boast how much cannabis they've enjoyed (although people do that in every section ;))

Edit: Sweet sig. I love Tool and lateralUs is definitely my favorite song to smoke/trip to.

14. What I do is I blaze in my closet. I put a towel on the door, burn some incense and have a can of febreze, and just hotbox my closet. Never been caught to date.

15. thats cool, i can dig it, i just didnt understand the reasoning but it's not a big deal really.

and hell yes. Tool FTW

16. What you do is not smoke it for a few days. If she complains again you will know she is a cunt..

17. This is probably the best advice you can get.

Have you ruled out the possibility of someone else smoking weed in your block?

18. Unfortunately, there's far too many stories in Apprentice (instead of RLS), not to mention the off-topic/arbitrary stuff that belongs in General or somewhere else.

I realize there's lots of posting in there since it's the first forum in the list -- and I certainly appreciate what the mods do -- but it'd be great to have a little more "enforcement" of on-topic discussion in Apprentice.

---

OP, I'd second the suggestions to not smoke for a couple days and see if anything is said. It doesn't really sound like she has a reason to lie about it, and at least she's being cool.

A good HEPA filter, sploof, and/or a Smoke Buddy are all good suggestions too. Maybe Ozium? Haven't used it personally, but I've heard it gets rid of any smell.

Does your AC return vent have a filter? Maybe the smell is lingering in that...?

19. S
    tory of my life right now

20. She is lying. Fuck her just keep smoking. I hope you are in a legal state.