Smell of weed in an apartment?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Johnisriot, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Hey, I'm going to be moving out of my parents house pretty soon, I'm on a waiting list with 3-4 people ahead of me, so I have a little time to get a few things ready. My grandma lives in these apartments, they're very nice, and they have a huge walk in closet that you have room left, right, and in front of you.

Okay, anyways, when I start growing, would those timed air fresheners and candles do the work of hiding the smell of weed when they start to stink, or what? I don't really want to spend A LOT of money on air systems, etc. because I'm still purchasing furniture and appliances that I need for the place. Should I be fine or don't even bother? Thanks!

2. I use and air freshener tied to the front of a fan in my room. It works fine for now, but then again Im not flowering.

3. I just heard of these new odor eliminating CFL, i think 30watts 2700k or somthing. They have some coating that neutralizes odors and bacteria, when they do it release h20, co2, and maybe something else. I plan on adding them to my 400w hps flowering room for added light and all those other things it does. I read that 2-4 in a small space works wonders.

At night you may want to do what you mentioned above, or I plan on ataching a box, with 3 of them in it, to my exhaust line with a DIY light filter, hopfully theres enough air circulation but also enough time to eliminate odor without the bulbs burning out. hope you can imagine what im talking about.

Peace and Mucho Frijoles

4. Thanks for the advice you two. Sounds very interesting, looks like I'm going to start investing in a few of those bulbs ;). I think I'll be pretty safe. It's a pretty big apartment and believe it or not, there's like 30 plugs all around the house haha. Closet has about 4, so I'll be making good use of those with some fresheners too. Thanks!

Also, I am correct about 3-4 months for a plant to grow from seed correct? Is 70 days a good plan for any plant or does it matter?

5. the time will vary from one strain to another of how long they take to finish flowering. Also, depends on how long you want to let it veg, and how big you want your plant.

6. If your growing in an apt i wouldnt half ass covering up the smell, you could at least get an ozone generator for like $80 maybe cheaper on ebay. That would help you alot more than some pretty smelly candles gma gave you for xmas. If you cant keep your grow safe and smell free it isnt worth it in my opinion. Your putting all that money into your grow but if you get caught cause someone smells buds coming from your apt al day... well im sure you can figure out where this is going.

Invest in some type of air cleaner, youll be thankful.

ps putting some dryer sheets on the back of a fan can cover up alot of smells and will make your shit smell fresh like laundry, dont know how well it works to cover up plants tho.

7. Its no good trying to mask the smell of weed all the time as this will not work. Install a carbon filter (scrubber) this will eliminate 100% of the smells bro. You can use ona jell ect or things simmlar for when you open the cupbord and tend to the girls that will eliminate the smell for you whilst you have had the door open. I would be very carefull of a ozone genorator if used properly they are very good. But if you are blowing your exuast indoors that shit isn't good to breath in.

Hope this helps

8. what you guys think of the new odor eliminating cfls?

9. nothing of cfls :/

go with a carbon scrubber, its tried and true. search for tutorials on how to make your own.

bombastic i didnt know that ozone can be harmful to you where did you aquire that knowledge?(ive never used it or even really read up on it)

10. There you go bro

http://www.aerias.org/DesktopModules/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleId=100

• The concentration of ozone. Very low concentrations of ozone can be harmful to the upper respiratory tract and the lungs. The National Institle of Occupational Safety and Helath (OSHA) recommends that concentrations of 0.1 ppm of ozone never be exceeded. However, current US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommendations are 0.08 ppm.
    • Personal characteristics such as age, gender, weight, general health status. People who have preexisting lung problems, such as emphysema, bronchitis, or asthma, are even more at risk for the effects of ozone. Children also appear to be more susceptible to the effects of ozone.2 Ozone can increase one's sensitivity to allergens.3
    • How one is exposed to ozone. Though liquid ozone can cause severe skin burns, almost all exposures are through inhalation (breathing it in).
    • Is a person exposed to just ozone or is it a variety of pollutants? When ozone is generated in an indoor environment, it is also usually accompanied by other pollutants, such as VOCs. There is evidence that ozone increases the hazard associated with exposure to other environmental pollutants and allergens making people more susceptible to infection and decreasing their ability to get rid of inhaled particles.2
    • How long is one exposed to ozone? The severity of injury from ozone depends on both the concentration and the duration of exposure. Severe and permanent lung injury or death could result from even a very short-term exposure to relatively low concentrations of ozone.
    • Ozone in the presence of other low-level VOCs may produce irritating chemicals known as aldehydes. Aldehydes are strong respiratory irritants and have irritating odors at low concentrations.
    Health problems caused by ozone can either be acute, which occur immediately or within a few days of exposure, or they can be chronic, which are long-term health effects that last for many years. For example, repeated low-level exposure can cause long-term, and possibly permanent, lung damage.

Ozone can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat. Higher exposures to ozone (0.25 ppm to 1 ppm) may result in:

• Cough.
    • Shortness of breath.
    • Tightness of the chest with a feeling of an inability to breath.e
    • Dry throat.
    • Wheezing.
    • Headache.
    • Upset stomach; nausea and/or vomiting.
    • Reduced lung function.
    • Pain or tightness in the chest.
    • Extreme fatigue.
    • Dizziness.
    • Inability to sleep or concentrate.
    • A bluish color to the skin due to lack of oxygen to the cells of the body (cyanosis).
    • A build-up of fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema). This is a medical emergency, with severe shortness of breath. This may not appear for 24 hours after exposure and can be brought on by physical exertion such as work or exercise.
    Occasional exposure to 9 ppm for 3 to 14 days has produced inflammation of the bronchi and lungs. Exposure to 11 ppm ozone for 15 minutes causes severe respiratory irritation and unconsciousness. A 30-minute exposure to 50 ppm or more can be deadly.

Long-term health effects from exposure to extremely low concentrations of ozone include:

• An increase in the reactivity of the airways to other inhaled substances.
    • There is limited evidence that ozone causes cancer in animals. It may cause lung cancer. Ozone has increased the incidence of lung tumors in laboratory mice at concentrations of 310 ppb and higher.2
    • Genetic mutations.
    • Damage to the developing fetus in pregnant women.
    • Lung damage.
    • Based on animal evidence, exposure to ozone may increase susceptibility to bacterial infections of the respiratory system.

11. thats gnarly! sorry for jackin ur thread but this is some damn important info to know.

thanks for the info bomb

12. Being a science geek I have to correct you here, they have a coat of some metal that ionizes.... CO2 and H2O are the main byproducts of combustion:p

To the OP I'd go with a grow tent that has a carbon filter... This will contain the smell, which is extremely important when your in such close proximity to people and your plant is flowering.

Having said that, plants that are just vegging have a very subtle smell, so you won't need that tent and carbon filter till you flower.

13. would definately like to find out more information on these

14. too bad to hear they dont work, thats ok, i was planning on getting a bigger exhaust fan with a DIY scrubber.

15. here's a related question...i'm working on a grow cab right now. i'm planning on using a fan cooled light and co2 so that there's no "smelly" exhaust going into my apt. if i built a small carbon scrubber that just sat in the flower chamber constantly pulling the air through the scrubber would that help eliminate a lot of smell?

16. yes that would get rid of the smell but if you have no intake/exhaust youd better have some way of cooling off your grow room otherwise its gonna be hot as hell in there.

17. #19 random.blurg, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
    it stays in the upper 70's right now...would that go up a lot with an air cooled hood? planning on getting a glass tube light with a fan blowing air onto the bulb and another fan at the end of my tubing pulling air out of the tube...if that made sense.

and the bulb would be 250 watt hps at most, that or a 150 watt hps.

18. I followed this guide with great success this past Friday. It cost me all of $30 and a lot of people have had success with it. If I can do it, you can too :cool:

http://www.gardenscure.com/420/security/60127-ryoko-builds-diy-activated-carbon-filter.html

Carbon filter/scrubbing is the only way you are truly going to be able to eliminate the odors clear through flowering. You'll be fine during veg, might have a little plant like smell, nothing serious, but flowering is serious business and serious smells.