Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smell of the herb

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by gokmenth, Mar 29, 2014.

1. I really don't know how a good pot smells but everytime I change my dealer the herb seems to smell way more different than the last time. I mean, last time the herb was smelling like wild tyhme and it was the best weed I've ever smoked and now I have a weird smelling one and I'm a little afraid to smoke it.

And my question is, can anyone explain the difference between the good and the bad weed?

2. Different strains will smell like different things sometimes. Drying/curing also affects the smell. As does storage.

3. That's a broad question my friend.  As far as smell, there are many different odors cannabis can have.  What does the new bud smell like that has you nervous? 

4. #4 Tree Of Life, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
    Some strains are skunky, some are fruity, some are piney, some are spicy. There's all different kinds of smells and flavors, but you don't want it to smell or taste bad. When you pickup a new bag you should smoke a bowl out of a bong or spoon or whatever kind of pipe. See how it tastes, see if it hurts your throat, look at the ash. You want the ash to be as light colored as possible. Black ash is a bad sign, it means the plant wasn't flushed of chemical nutrients, which you definitely don't want to smoke. Darker grey means it was flushed a little better, but what you really want is a white or light grey ash. Make sure it doesn't 'sizzle' or make any noise when you're hitting it. That's not a good sign either. Also look at your buds under a light and make sure it looks like it just came off the plant. You don't want weed that's been through too many hands. The more hands it changes the more potency you lose due to the nugs being tossed around so many times. Make sure it doesn't taste funny though. It should smell pretty strong too. Make sure it's not wet or anything like that. Sticky and wet are two different things. Usually you'd want the light green nugs, but outdoor grown weed is sometimes a little darker in color. There's also purples, tints of blue, yellow, maybe even shades of red. I've had Chocolate Thai before and it was brown, but don't be confused, you don't ever want your weed to be brown, unless it's a legit Chocolate strain or something. Usually the higher quality buds are bigger and more dense. Although there are some sativas (weed that gives you a head high) that are a bit looser in structure compared to indicas (weed that gives you a body high) which are usually a lot denser than most sativas.

5. I would toke it if it don't smell bad.

My nose lets me know if something smells like it shouldn't go into my body. like rotting apples, or old milk. I love weed and the smell of weed, so no matter what kind of smelling weed it is, I love the smell. But sometimes, I smell a bag of weed from a dealer and the aroma just does not feel good to smell. like mold,, or really weak smelling, hay smelling weed that didn't get me very high at all...

It has a very strong smell. And simply it smells bad. 

7. Man, thank you so much. You explained it really good

8. Ok so like butt or skunk or what??  Is is sticky or wet?  If it literally smells like ass then idk man....but if its just skunky smoke up.

9. #9 Sammyy, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
    Maybe you got some mids the mids I used to get always had a strong smell but the smell isn't a pleasant one like dank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. I'll go with skunky but still it doesn't smell delightful... 

11. Buddy showed me some weed once and it smelled like a barn must of been grown in one ?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. I had some weed before that smelled awful to my nose made me cough sometimes just from the smell. To me it had a chemical smell, but who knows now. I tried it the first day I got it and it got me blasted. But the taste was horrid and it messed up my throat. Not bad enough for an infection or anything just really itchy and dry. I let the weed cure for about 2 weeks before I could even attempt for another try. BTW, I get eighths and vape through a MFLB so this stuff wasn't going away quickly and there was no way I was going to smoke that.

But yeah gokmenth the way I see it you have a couple of choices, either you just say fuck it I'll smoke it, let that shit cure for some more time so it's not so bad(you get your money's worth), or you just throw it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. I just got an eigth of some chronic the other day that's orange, purple, and covered in trichs but it barely has a smell and the smell it does have isn't very good (kinda like apples, oranges, and dogs) but man does it bet me blasted.

And some of the best stuff i've ever smelled in my life was some shake. I could just hold that bag to my nose all day long but it takes quite a bit to get high off it.

So, it really does vary a lot. Generally i would go more by the look than the smell but some stuff you just know as soon as you get it.

14. I wish we had smell-o-vision.. 

15. Congrats you have experienced the skunk smelling weed. Smells bad but daammn it usually gets you really high

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

It did. It did get me all stoned and I feel sorry for the hesitation I've had before :D