Smell leaks even with carbon filter and AC Infinity T4

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by greencrow, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Hi growers. I need help. This is my third attempt to grow until buds are really ready to be harvested.
    Was growing Northern Lights Auto all this time. First girl was harvested after 3 weeks in flowering. Second one after 6 weeks of flowering. Due to smell, leaking from tent I had to harvest earlier...
    For this time I was prepared even better and hoped to grow until the end. Got AC Infinity T4 and AC Infinity carbon filter and even Mars Hydro TS 600 panel for better yield.
    Sadly, problems with smell started to occur quite fast. She is only in veg and will flower only after week, but smell in bedroom is significant. During second attempt smell was a problem only in 5 week of flowering, but duct fan and carbon filter was not so good as now... I don't get it. Can this happen due to passive intake?
    photo_2021-01-19_20-20-54.jpg photo_2021-01-19_20-21-18.jpg photo_2021-01-19_20-21-31.jpg photo_2021-01-19_20-21-45.jpg photo_2021-01-19_20-22-03.jpg photo_2021-01-19_20-23-30.jpg

2. I leave closet doors open all the time and tent closed off course :)

3. You have enough negative air pressure? The walls of the tent should be sucked in a bit if you do. Make sure your carbon filter is filled up enough too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I left only one place open for passive intake and yes, now the walls are sucked inside a bit. What do you mean by "carbon filter is filled up"? It has carbon inside. Just plug and use.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. If they aren't filled with enough carbon properly from the factory they may not work, likely not the issue tho. As long as there's enough negative air pressure you should be set now.

6. Btw, an Ona block is amazing too, don't keep it in the closet or tent, but you can put it in the room.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I doubt it's the passive intake if you have negative pressure. Filters wear out over time. It's also important to run a prefilter(sock) on your filter to filter out fine dust which will lower the life and effectiveness of your carbon filter.

Make sure your fan is rated to your filter properly. It's fine to use a lower rated fan than filter, it will actually work better and last longer. Don't use a fan with a higher cfm then your filter is rated at though because the air will be forced through too quickly and won't fully filter the smells. I always recommend to get an oversized or 'long' style filter with as much surface area as you can afford/fit. It will work better and last much longer.

8. That fan looks like total overkill. I had about 28 sq ft with a fan rated for 189 cfm. Even after cutting it down by using speed controlled I found the walls of the tent to be under vacuum a lot so I thought why run more air through my filter than needed? That would just fill it up or in other words, wear it out faster so I went with a cheap 65 cfm inline fan which runs 24/7 and all is well. I have a 24ft x 24ft apt with no air exhausting outside. so far so good.

You might be exhausting air through a filter that is worn out and also recycling stinky air from within the closet.