Smell is still extreme w/ 2 fans + carbons

Discussion in 'Security' started by miscbrah3284, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Is there a good strategic spot to place the ona? would it be best to place it in the grow room--possibly infront of my exhaust ducting? or in the living room?

2. Place itt right where your air is leaving the tent on the outside

3. I don't use ona, but I have heard that if you put it in your grow room you'll be able to taste it in your pot.

4. ive read that before too but i think that was only if you were putting ona gel INSIDE the tent WITH the plants....like your end product would smell of ona gel and have a weird chemical taste

5. I was having the same problem my friend, my whole house reeked of sweet hashish, especially from the Afghani mother. Afghani strains are notorious, even more so than cheese strains, for stinking up the joint.

The best smell fix I have done yet to date is a uvonair 5000 machine. It will take away the smell, kill fungus and mold spores in the air, and leave your herb smellign and tasting fresh and clean. You really cannot beat it.

If you can go for an ozone generator, it will be your best friend and your smell's worst enemy.

Happy Growing ~23

6. sounds expensive lol, how much does something like that set you back? remember im just in an apartment

7. Between $150 and $300 depending on the model. And I am too, with plenty of neighbors and no room for error.

I just type house because it's four letters less I have to type hahahaha.

But anyways yeah man the carbon filters are nice and are cheaper but in all honesty the only thing I am worried about with my generator is replacing the bulb. I even posted a thread somewhere on here about replacing it, but went ahead anyways because it was stinking and I didn't have time to wait for a reply. I ended up finding the instructions and all is well.

If you want to clean, sterilize and de-funk your air then you should look into one. Same as with the RO machine, once you get it you will wonder how you ever got by without it.

Peace brotha and Happy Growing ~23

8. Isn't ozone not good to breathe?

9. Yeh, how do you set it up so that it doesn't poison you. I own a uvonair 1000 junior, but im not sure how to hook it up without making my air toxic

10. You will have to find out how much ozone it generates and how quickly it will bring your size room up to .04 ppm ozone concentration. Anything above .04 ppm is hazardous to your health. However mine is set up so that it expels the ozone treated air to the outside. If you are in an apartment and the air isn't expelled outdoors you should do the math for the ppm concentration though. Ozone is dangerous and looking at the bulbs can rob you of your eyesight in seconds.

As with anything you are using to grow be smart and read the labels 1000000 times until you are an expert on the subject.

Happy Growing ~23

11. jesus lol, ill take my chances with the ona after reading that LOL

12. I can assure you there are nutes you are using that are just as dangerous to your health as the ozone. But if you want to be 100% there is no smell get a generator. Breathing in ONA can't be much safer than ozone and you should always expel your used air outside anyways as to not go too low with the co2 ppms.

Happy Growing ~23

13. smell is much less notice after adjusting the fan speed...now my only issue is that im about to harvest these girls! :p

14. Good to hear!!! Glad things are less funky for you. Good luck with those ladies and Happy Growing!!

~23

15. thanks man! it made a hell of a difference! I wish i realized my mistake sooner with the fan controller, probably woulda saved $100(buying that second carbon filter)

Here's a link to my blue dream harvest who's smell was causing me so much paranoia and anxiety, check it out people!!!! It looks like its gunna be a good pull!

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-g...y-skill-level-welcome**-309.html#post13062305

16. Very nice!!! I actually traded in my uvonair today and placed a Phresh filter in my tent. It smells fresher than with the ozone. I ended up having issues with the replacement bulbs and I decided that I wasn't going to risk security if a bulb went out while I am out. The filter works so well I think I am going to use the tent as a drying room and just wait a week or two before the next crop. Anyways Happy Growing and take it easy..

~23

17. In case anyone actually read my long post... I learned two things. First, my cooltube leaks smell a LOT, and second, you can put the filter on the end and blow through it, it will work!

Blowing through the filter is not the recommended or ideal setup, but for people with limited space inside their tent (like me) but some space outside it (yes!), it will work. I've read from several manufacturers that you will get shorter life from your filter this way (mostly because it bypasses the cloth filter on the outside of most filters).

See this video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE61JM9dRlQ]Grow Tent - Passive Outtake Air Vs. Aggressive Air Flow - Monster Gardens.mov - YouTube[/ame]

I had originally set mine up the other way, sucking through the filter and out the tent, but I was getting bad smells. I'm pretty sure it was coming from the cool tube, and sealing it would have been a pain. Then I saw the above video, and since my space is tight, but the tent is inside a closet anyway, I went for filter outside the tent, blowing. Works like a charm. No more smell!

18. thanks for the reply man. That's what I was contemplating doing....but turning down the fan speed did the trick....This leads me to believe the fan was sucking air through the filter too fast and bypassing charcoal. I believe my filters both are supposed to operate between 200(min)-400(max)cfm....my 6inch fan operates at 424cfm at full speed which is what it was on....so turning down my fan speed halfway did the trick, and temps barely changed...I also sealed my hood with metallic tape. Cant pull out the glass now but at least i know smell is leaking up through the hood either!

19. I have an HTG filter also which came with a 6 inch inline fan. The fan is able to push more than enough air, but I have the same problem myself. My whole house reeks of plants. LOL, I like the smell, but its just not a good thing to have around for security. It seems that you guys probably answered my question also. I probably need to try a phresh filter since you guys claim that they work a lot better than HTG filters do. I think it worked ok at first, but three months later it just does not seem to do very good. HTG claims that they should last for 18 months, but I think I have to call BS on that one.

20. #80 rizzo30, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011
    miscbrah3284, I think I actually have the same fan and filter combo as you from HTG. This thing gets loud without a muffler, so maybe i'm pushing my air too fast also. I think my fan does something like 424 cfm. Others on here seem to claim that slowing down the speed of the fan my help. I am thinking about doing the same. I noticed that HTG sells an external fan speed control one on ebay for around $25 which I might get so I can slow down the speed of my fan to fix my odor also. Otherwise these fans from HTG are just one speed and it gets loud. Thanks for the info on this thread. I think that the input given from everyone else here on this thread may have given me an idea on how to fix my odor also. I'm going to buy a fan control so my air can actually be filtered rather than just passing through.

Sorry about making both posts. Its early in the morning and I need to get to bed.