Smart pot transplants

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bneumann0, Apr 1, 2017.

1. I was looking at smart pots and normally I use 7 gallon but I saw they have 1 gallon pots also. Would it be a waste of money to get them to start plants out in before I transplant to the 7 gallon? Would starting in the 1 gallon benefit the plants at all?

• Like Like x 1
  2. starting in a smaller container can help the medium dry out quicker which promotes root growth. Alot of people also like to plant in the final container to reduce any transplant shock later. IME when planting into a much larger container, it can take longer for the medium to dry which can cause symptoms of overwatering if you're not careful.

People do both methods...maybe try it with a plant or 2 and see if it works for you. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. If you start in a 1g do plastic. The roots get stuck to the fabric pots. I lost some roots on my transplant. It didn't affect the plant. I always apply a magic elixir of aloe/kelp/silica/coconut water after transplant and they don't miss a beat. I am never happy about losing rhizo!

• Like Like x 1
  4. I've been growing in fabric pots for years now and never had a problem with roots sticking to the fabric. If you're using quality fabric pots the roots will air prune themselves. Only when you use cheapo pots do they not get enough air to air prune and they start growing into the fabric itself.

If you are skilled in transplanting you shouldn't have to worry about transplant shock, and giving the plant a couple chances to fill out a pot does help root growth in the long run. When I grew in fabric pots I would go from rockwool to 1 gallon pot to my final pot.

5. They are cheap knockoffs but the roots were not necessarily sticking through. The hairs were clinging to the sides. I throw seeds and clones right in the dirt. I run no till. I only recommend this in established soil with a nice mulch layer. I have better germination rate than rapid rooters.

6. Hey man, whatever works for you.