Smart Pot material - more than just felt?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Atmo, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Hey guys.. so I wanted to maximize the size of my smart pot and was thinking.. why not make my own that fits exactly how I need? I was thinking of making it basically a box with a light aluminum frame to sew it to... but I know it's more than just regular felt.

Anyone know of a good material to make a DIY Smart Pot? I imagine felt would harbor mold and bacteria. As of now I can basically fit MAYBE a 7 gallon smart pot in my small box (ordered 10 gallons and it's too big.. MIGHT be able to squeeze it in a plastic bin the size of my box, though, but I figure a "square" smart pot would give me more soil room anyhow.

Has anyone done this before? Should I just get a smart pot that fits? 5 gallon fits perfect but I would like to go a little bigger... really hoping 7 gallons fit if I squeeze it on (like an oval shape) because I already accidentally ordered more 5 gallons that I have to return and now I have to return the 10 gallons. I still might try to squeeze in the 10 gallons but I need to fill it up with soil and see how it squeezes into a small bin.. not quite sure it'll work out how I expect.. plus I don't want to return a smart pot with soil bits in it.. not sure they'll accept it or not.

Anyone know if they "squeeze-to-fit" well, or should I just go for the maximum diameter and not squeeze it in at all? I think the 7 gallon smart pot is like... maybe an inch wider than my bins, I don't imagine that will be too crazy. I still need to find the perfect size plastic bins but I will figure something out. I want one that is perfectly 18.5" x 13" - I think the 7 gallons are 14" diameter... but if I made a square one I could make it at about 15" x 13" (to give a little room in the bin) which would give me way more space than a round container.

Thoughts?

2. I'm not sure about posting links to other forums, but if you just google "how to make your own smart pots", you'll find some good info.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Damn I swear I googled this last night and didn't find anything, but I found the thread you were talking about! For those curious... "geotextile fabric" is what you want.

Thanks @EbAndFlow

4. My grow partner has a huge like 20'x20' lenghtg of EXACT material smart pots r made of. Il get name of meterial tonight buddy

5. Yeah please let me know.. all the "geotextile fabric" stuff I see on amazon are like rubbery looking stuff... a few clothy ones but they are more woven like burlap, which I'm sure would work but I would love to find that exact material.. especially at Home Depot or somewhere locally!

Thanks!

6. Dude i use re usable walmart shopping bags. Handles n all! Perfect!

7. Good idea.. I would just need to get a few so I can cut it to my perfect size! that could work, though.. I've heard of people using those. I just don't wanna be restricted but a circle pot at a specific size, i wanna make mine for the perfect size of my box which would probably end up being over 7 gallons, but take up less width (my box is more of a rectangle than square)

Just to show, here's my current flower chamber... kinda hard to see the smart pot but...
    [​IMG]

I figure if I can get more width on the left and right I can maximize outputs better... 5 gallon (currently using) is just barely big enough.. a bit too small for that size plant!