Smart Pot alternative?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by ChefZiggy, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Looks like the same thing

2. I think so.  They are a good bit cheaper.  Just hate to take the chance if no one has tried them or even heard of them

3. #4 MrTea, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014
    They will function the same; their life expectancy will be  shorter though as the fabric is less durable than a smartpot or geopot.

4. I've used the "reusable" shopping bags from Dollar General. I do add about an inch of perlite in the bottom then add dirt. They are not round, but by the time ya get em filled they are.

First purchase they were $ .75 each, but they're up to $1.00 now.  They work well and are a lot cheaper.

5. [quote name="tatubilly" post="19402214" timestamp="1390624490"]I've used the "reusable" shopping bags from Dollar General. I do add about an inch of perlite in the bottom then add dirt. They are not round, but by the time ya get em filled they are.First purchase they were $ .75 each, but they're up to $1.00 now. They work well and are a lot cheaper.[/quote]Brilliant!And I see this only moments after pacing my order...Sent from my Nexus 10 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. [quote name="tatubilly" post="19402214" timestamp="1390624490"]I've used the "reusable" shopping bags from Dollar General. I do add about an inch of perlite in the bottom then add dirt. They are not round, but by the time ya get em filled they are.First purchase they were $ .75 each, but they're up to $1.00 now. They work well and are a lot cheaper.[/quote]I have 5 flowering in those DG grow bags. works great.http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1269823-This-old-Hippies-Organic-Garden.This old Hippies Organic Garden.

7. i'm using walmart reusuable shopping bags, $0.50

8. rootpouch are great

my local hydro shops only carry them i love mine

9. I use them too Ziggy, different sizes, with handles are a little better then without but I am very happy with mine and it's been more than a year. And price can't be beat

10. I like the phatsacks I picked up, seem pretty durable though the smart pots would likely outlast this brand.

The 250 gallon smart pot I have has been beat up, tossed around, dug in and abused, still holds up like a champ almost 2 years later.

Cheap is nice though, do what works. 5 gallon buckets work well too for cheap and they last.

11. [quote name="GiMiK" post="19429509" timestamp="1391018350"]The 250 gallon smart pot I have has been beat up, tossed around, dug in and abused, still holds up like a champ almost 2 years later.[/quote]:eek: 250 Gallon?!?! Sheesh. Remind me not to arm wrestle you.

12. im liking some dollar store bathroom trash cans atm

about 3 gallons flexible plastic and a buck a pop =3

but im limited on height too much for 5 gallons

13. It's easy to make them too..I bought bulk ground cover material (I actually see them use it here over the street gutters sometimes to filter the street rainwater.Gaint roll I still have tons left over from for $36 bucks, and a 2X 75 foot roll of garden fence. $35 bucks at Home depot and zip ties.  I leave mine bottomless and place them in a hole with amended soil under about 6 inched deep. You get the benefit of warmer soil temps (I'm in Oregon, so that helps) as well as natural air pruning. Mine are all about  75-100 gallon pots and I didn't find that I had to water any more frequently than my in ground plants. 

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=201016

14. Those are what I bought for my peppers this season. I bought the 10 gallon ones from A.W. Leonard's Gardener's Edge and their prices are much better than Amazon. They have ten 5 gallon's for $13.50 plus shipping. http://www.gardenersedge.com/product.aspx?p=VP-RPXXXX