Small Sprout, in a hurry

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Masonsmokes, Feb 12, 2011.

1. #1 Masonsmokes, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2011
    I have a small sprout, I followed germination 420, and as of now, its about 1.5in and has 2 sets of leaves, the lights (2-23w 6500k's) are about 6 inches away. Should I put them even closer? I don't want to burn them, I've heard Toasty say to get them as close as humanly possible to not burn them, what would you say a safe distance is?
    One more question, its been planted in a Solo red Party cup, the little fellow doesn't quite reach the top, so the small CPU fan isn't hitting the stem, should I cut some of the solo cup to start strengthening my stem?

Thanks GC, enjoy your Saturday morning cartoons. :smoke:

2. You can put your CFL's within a matter of inches from your plant. I would do that. You only need to worry about the plant burning from the heat. CFL's don't give off as much as an HPS so put 'em closer! As for a safe distance, one or two inches. Your plants won't stretch as that length, just monitor them to be sure they're not burning though

I would cut the top rim of the cup, yeah. You can cut the put or reposition your fan so it is blowing down. Whatever your preference is. What I do, is I have a box fan sitting on the floor and have the fan blow in my grow box. I use 3 gallon buckets and set them on the floor.

Any other Q's?

3. ::Watching spongebob:: Don't judge me I have kids :cool:

With CFLs you can get pretty much an inch away with no harm. The closer the plant is to the bulbs the less stretching it will do which means smaller bushier plant.

You switching from the solo to a bucket or going all the way in a solo?

Good luck man... and you enjoy YOUR Saturday morning cartoons...

4. Thanks, alot. Very helpful.

Well, since you offered, :rolleyes:
    I was curious on your take on a good Organic Soil Mix?

5. Haha, no ones judging you here man :smoke:

Thanks with the light advice, I'm moving them closer, should I remove the saran wrap I had been using? Might I add these are specifically pretty small leaves, not the fat ones yet, just the very beginning ones.

Thanks alot man, enjoy your morning with the little ones.

6. I eye ball when I remove my humidity domes from my clones or sprouts. But once the plant looks healthy and green and stable I normally pop it off. If I see that the plant is like "oh crap" who opened the window in a few hours I might pop the cap back on. But if you keep the dome on to long it can cause mold.

Just a thought...

Kicked the kids out so we switched to Man Vs Food... parents cartoons :D

7. Yeah, if you're a supporter of organic, be my guest. I've always used Fox Farm Ocean Forest. I'm not sure if it's organic or not. When picking a soil, be sure it has a lot of nutrients but make sure you don't over do it. Seedlings can experience neut burn via rich soil. However, I use Fox Farm Ocean Forest even from seed to harvest without germination. I germinate in the soil, not that papertowel nonsense.

8. Gotcha, thanks!

Also, any take on a good Organic Soil Mix?

Now thats what I'm talking about, I couldn't exactly say I love Spongebob anymore, I'm 20. But even when I was 17 I got a kick out of it. But now, its Man vs. Food, Pawn Stars, and Criminal Minds :smoke:

9. I personally do hydro (I tried my hand at soil grow and it was BAD). But for my gardens I normally use a combination of a pre-mixed soil with some perlite and worm castings. I read good things about Fox Farms obviously; but I think some of the more impressive soil grows I read on here were custom soils.

10. Pawn stars ftw!

11. So its doing fine, grown about .3 of an inch today, the second set of leaves are healthy and on the way. The saran wrap is still on for now, I have 2-23w 6500k on Y-Splitter inside a big hanging clamp shop light.
    The temp is at 80 and the humidity is at 19%, how am I doing so far?

12. Well, I'm at a week, should I start my Shultz 10-20-10 feeding?