Small Spaces

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by JoshuaE, Dec 31, 2019.

1. I grow in 4in cubes on my micro shelf to limit plant size with my autos. They flower super quick too. I tried a 6x6x6 but the plant almost got too big for my grow and took way longer to flower. I like the 4in cubes. All I do is water directly from the res for my RDWC system.

20200704_124053.jpg 20200630_154957.jpg 20200630_152659.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Many thanks, shes turning out nice,this is what I'm aiming for every time I plant an auto. It doesn't always work. Lol

But yeah did you see how low it was further down in the root zone? 4.5 ph Way outside of what calcium and magnesium like . Oh yeah it's what they call the 3 gallon equivalent ( 2.2 gallon)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Nice, I think I'm going to give them a try. I was thinking about the "big mama" I believe they called it. Lol 8×8×8
    So do you just put some holes in the bottom of the wrapper?

• Like Like x 1
  4. You only need a pump if you are doing RDWC and a bubbler can achieve similar results. The hydro builds I've done (many), most depend on a water pump which increases the water temperature, but you don't use a water pump in a bubbler, just an air pump and that won't heat the water. There is hardly any increased power usage.
    upload_2020-7-10_23-43-59.png
    and its cheap. You can sit the Rockwool into (or on top) of the hydroton). I usually bury mine preventing algae.
    Another method that uses a negligible amount of power is to use PVC or ABS pipe and drill holes for the cubes. Cap the ends of the pipe and allow one end to drain to the bucket/res which pumps the solution back to each plant along the pipe. These systems are already available, but I would just build one, and plan to build one for my wife in the fall (?) My plants Loved this system, but the roots can get big and clog here too.
    i don't really need a fridge and all the hydro plants in my albums were grown switching ice jugs. no biggie, I may not use the fridge; power consumption for nothing really.

• Like Like x 3
  5. I went to the hardware store today to buy an HVLP spray gun and they tried to spray me down with some crap before I went into the store. I said no, and the woman said it was mandatory (!) I just walked out, never going back there again. If they want to give me a mask while I shop, I don't care, but you don't get to spray me wtf.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. The 4in and 6in cubes are open on the bottom. The wrapper goes only around the sides.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. I did see that. She dont look like she minds a whole lot though. I've seen some plants tolerate conditions considered far outside optimal ranges before. This Lost Coast strain I have is very tolerant, I'm fairly certain I could grow it in pot of soup,lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ah I see, that makes more sense.

9. Wtf! That's insane. I'll punch a mofo in the eye if they try to spray me. Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Those 8" cubes are massive. You can def grow a beast in one. I think they're bigger than a 2gal fabric pot, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Just thought I'd share these. An above and below shot. 20200711_170742.jpg 20200711_170608.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. nice plants mega :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Lol. I did the math 8×8×8= 512 cubic Inches =2.2 gallons So they are exactly the same size as the airpots that I use and a little more than 2 gallon fabric

• Like Like x 2
  14. I thank ya sir. No matter how good it goes I always feel I could've done better. We're our own worst critics I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lol, I'll be darned. I thought they seemed pretty close. I've done hand watered rockwool a few times with nice results. Not exactly commonplace though, haha.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I thought it was going to come out smaller. I think I'm going to try a block of it. The commercial growers do some amazing things with rockwool. I saw one where they were growing 4 tomatoe plants with about 200' of vines out of one large slab about 30" long 18" W 6" deep
    It was incredible.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. That's sounds awesome. I personally love rockwool. It would require a whole gear change to switch though,that's my reason for holding off. The 8" blocks would have huge potential for some monster plants. I'll definitely be dabbling with it by the end of the year. I may pop a seed here soon just for that reason. I'll have to go buy some locally though, online prices are kinda high and alot of them are only in bulk.....I dont need 144 blocks,lol. I am pretty anxious to try my Floraflex block top autofeeder.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Shop Hydroponic Growing Supplies | FloraFlex® I know you mentioned these guys before but I just looked they do got a cool system. I'm going to get some of those caps and clips I've already got the reservoir and supply lines in the 2×3 closet.

• Like Like x 2
  19. I recommend their stuff all the way. The prices arent too bad neither. I really like the bubbler(auto feed manifold). I'll be using their stuff til I find something better. I was had watering at one point. Its cut my time down by 75%. I really like the pads that go under the plastic trays, it water nice and even. I hope you enjoy the Floraflex as much as I do!

• Like Like x 2
  20. For any system running with tubing I recommend House and Garden Drip Clean. In my experience it really does lessen the buildup in the tubing. I use it every watering since the NPK is mega low. Drip Clean 250mL flush by House and Garden nutrients | eBay

• Like Like x 1