Small space, too hot!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Smokesalot77, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Okay I finally took some pics of my grow cab. Im having major heat problems, the temps in the middle of the cab halfway to the lights get to about 95F but the temps at the floor stay in the high 70's to low 80's. What can I do to fix this heat issue without spending too much money? I have a 95cfm pc fan on the filter for exhaust and 3 2'' intake holes. I can stack another of the same fans to the exhaust to make it stronger but wanted to make sure it would fix it before i do. I also have a small pc fan inside blowing at the bulbs. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. By the way the lights im using are 2 70w bulbs. The dimensions of the cab are 30'' x 11'' x 35''. Please help!

3. Either get a real fan (squirrel cage or something to move some air!) or get enclosed fixtures for the lights.

That filter you have on the exhaust probably cut the output down more then half.

4. I second this. I have a cabinet of similar volume housing a 400w HPS and was having similar temperature problems. I ended up sealing off my reflector with glass and installing two blowers - a 180cfm pushing in air from outside (which is cooler than the room the cabinet is in) and a 265cfm blower pulling air through the sealed reflector and exhausting it outside.

You have to keep in mind that the lights are going to raise your temperature x degrees above the ambient temp of the air going into your cabinet. With more air moving around and enough air exchange that lowers it a bit, but finding cooler air somewhere turned out to be absolutely necessary for me with such a small volume.

5. I can only draw in air from the same room that its in... I was thinking about buying a more powerful fan but I have no idea what kind i need or where i can get them or how much they cost. Can anyone help me out with some info on fans?

6. I think you should modify the box so that you can run air for venting the lights alone.

7. would it help to distribute the air and cool things down up top if i added more intake holes toward the top?

8. Why not put in a glass partition to separate the two?

9. thats what i am trying to do, but making that glass air tight over the bulbs so i can exhaust heat out is hard to do

10. Then get an air cooled fixture.

If the sky is the limit, get a water cooled fixture and a chiller.

11. make your intake at the bottom of the cab...always will get cooler air in and promote sir exchange. you need much more exhaust....a pc fan wouldn't cut it with those lights, let alone trying to push air through a filter....more cfm more cfm!

12. How many plants do ya guys think ide be able to fit in here? I think with the height i have to work with i can only veg them for maybe 2 weeks.

13. you'll be able to veg them for longer, i've had mine going for more than a month now, it's about a foot high (if i hadn't LST'd it). fit 2 in there easily

14. well i only have about 2 feet high of actual grow space...