Small Plants?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Dayman927, Mar 23, 2009.

1. #1 Dayman927, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2009
    I'm building a grow box out of a speaker that i have, and instead of just doing one plant tall ways, I wanted to do two smaller plants and lay the box down horizontally. Do you think that they may be too small? Or does it all just depend on my light and different things like how well I control the heat and how soon I flower? I know I am noob but any help is greatly appreciated! (at least im in the noob section :D)
    (Oh and i have two 65 watt lights coming from one of my more experienced friends, don't know all of the details but they are going in the center of the box, so one plant would be on either side... that is if i indeed lay it horizontally)
    Happy toking!!

2. You can grow a plant as small as you want, it just might not be worth it for the amount of yield you're going to get. How big is this speaker?

3. Wow, left out a little important info didnt I? Well it is about four foot tall, a foot deep and maybe 1 1/2 foot wide.

4. Well i suppose if you're going to be growing two plants you're going to want to set them in the widest part (one and a half feet i think it was) but that would mean you only have one foot of vertical space, which is pretty tight. With that much space you'll definitely want to use CFLs so you don't burn your plant (CFLs give out like no heat). Read the LST sticky in the absolute beginners forum, it'll show how to keep plants short and maximize your yield.

5. I actually invested in two 23 watt cfl's but they are soft white and i feel like it ay also not be enough wattage. Thank you a lot for the help and i will definately check that out!

6. #6 BtBR, Mar 23, 2009
    4 plants maybe could fit into that, kind of a sog grow? 6 inch containers 2 by 2. I'm not sure if that's too small, but check out Foxy Grandpa's grow journal to get a sense of what's possible for little plants.

Just got a pm from Foxy, he said 10 inch 1.7 gallon containers, so 4 of those would NOT fit into your grow space. You could try to push the limit on size, or do more searching to find someone who already has :)

7. I believe the rule people generally follow around here is 100 watts for one plant and 50 watts per each additional plant. This is for normal sized plants though, so you might not need that much.

Also make sure you use 6400k lights for vegging and 2700k lights for flowering, or if you don't feel like changing them out, you can use a mixture of the two, probably using more 6500k than 2400k.

8. Horizontally? How do you plan on doing that?

If you're looking for stealth, I would reccomend having it standing up straight with the CFL's you bought.

Don't forget to line the sides with Mylar, or at least paint the inside white to reflect some light.

Also, a little ONA Gel never hurt anybody.

Good Luck.

9. woaaah that shit looks like exactly what i need. thanks!

10. Stealth actually isn't what I'm looking for, just making do with the materials I have for now and trying to have a little fun, I'm not worried about getting too little of bud, although more is obviously always nice! I just want to have some fun and grow the prettiest plants on the earth, marijuana plants!

11. Sure man. It seems like every time I show people that stuff I get a similar reaction. That stuff is good. It was made to block the smell of industrial sewage treatment plants.

12. #12 BtBR, Mar 23, 2009
    Not to derail this thread but, have you guys actually used ona? Does it really take care of the smell of flowering plants? Also how many plants/how big of an area did it take care of?

I'll be flowering 8 or 9 smallish plants, lst in 10 inch/1.5 gallon pots, roughly a 3 sq. foot area. Would just ona take care of that? They are g13 thai super skunk, g13 haze, and g13 pure gold.

Edit: also what type of store would carry ona gel, other than a hydro/grow store?