Small grow, what method would you use?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Groregon, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Hello!  I'm starting my first grow here but would like some help with what method of training I should use to maximize my space. 

I've purchased a 30x18x36 tent, 180 actual watt LED light and plan to grow 2 plants in that space.  Someone on reddit recommended that I veg for 2 weeks, top, then flower.  I'm going to be starting this first one with bagseed just for practice but have ordered paradise seeds wappa for my next grow.  

Would you guys do something different?  

Here is the full details:

30x18x36 tent
    300 watt Marshyrdo LED light
    4Inch fan + carbon filter
    Dynagro foliage and bloom 
    Fox farms Ocean soil
    3 gallon smart pots
    Rockwool 1.5 inch cubes for starting the seeds

Thanks for any help!!

2. Check this out

http://www.growweedeasy.com/mainlining-nugbuckets

Training called main-lining. Gives you big colas.

Also, ditch the rockwool cubes and germinate your seeds in wet paper towel, then sprout them directly in your soil. Take the extra stress of transplanting out of the equation.

3. I've seen that method before but wasn't sure that it would work given my limited vertical space. Do you think I could make that work?

4. #4 GoldGrower, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
    With just 3' of height you need to ScrOG, I honestly can't see any other way.  You have a lot of area relative to the height.  I would fit a ScrOG screen the whole length and width of the tent as low as possible.  You will also need some very low profile pots to give some extra height for above ground growth.  

If you are growing in soil then just start the seeds in soil.  It's the best place for them and rockwool is notoriously difficult to keep the correct moisture content.  It drowns seeds way too often 

5. Scrog and LST

6. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I guess I'll try to fashion some sort of screen.  Just so I'm sure I understand scrog correct.  As the plant grows up, we move those peices under the screen and out to the sides. Then when I run out of room or the plant wants to grow up I would switch to flowering and let it grow up...

I think you got it but not 100%, I'll reiterate to be sure.

Put the screen across and let the plant grow to it. When new growth comes through the screen pull or push it back underneath. You will likely need to do this every day if growth is good.

Keep all growth under the screen until the foliage is pretty packed under there and growth is very even.

Then switch to flower. I let my growing tips grow up through the screen together around the time I switch or just before but I have plenty of height so you will be better off to keep pushing growth down through the screen for 1-2 further weeks so you will need to compensate this by switching to flower a little earlier

8. SCROG is a piece of cake, dont over think it just do what the poster above said...you wont have any problem there really is nothing to it. Just keep in mind the plant will probably grow a bit the 1st week or so in flower as well, so flip slightly early.

9. Thank you everyone for the responses!  I'm going to build my screen today and give it a go.  Is there a specific place for grow journals on this site?  I figure some other newbies thinking about growing in this size tent maybe able to learn from my mistakes.