Small grow box in the garage in the winter (down to -30 degrees celsius)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by grassybowl, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Hello all,
    I am new to the field of indoor growing and since it will be legal here soon I have a few questions about what equipment to install in the grow box I am building.
    I have heard that you need a minimum of 100 watts per plant. It is my understanding that wattage generally just refers to the heat that will be given off. I am planning on getting a fluorescent grow light (LED to save power and I don't know how many lumens yet) the only problem is that they don't give off heat...that generally wouldn't be a problem in a warm environment but up here in Canada the winters get pretty nasty. Aside from insulating the box (standard fiberglass insulation) are there any ways of keeping the temperature moderately warm?
    I will be installing an intake fan and an exhaust fan and was planning on attaching some duct work to a space heater for the intake, that way the only air going in will be warm air.
    Any tips are helpful, also I am new to the whole forum thing so it might take awhile to understand some forum slang and what not.

p.s.- this is not going to be a major operation, just 1-3 plants initially and then some clones for outdoor once spring rolls around.

2. A small heater? I do a grow in my bedroom and being winter time and the fans running all night my heater keeps things pretty cool

I dont know the exact temperature but considering my plants havent shown any adverse effects it seems to be working out for now

You can also just have the grow in the house proper since it is a small one and I assume your home isnt freezing like it would be in a garage

3. I would love to grow in the house, however that is out of the question for now. It's a small house and my wife and I have it pretty much filled. Also in the garage it would be hidden from visiting family, landlord etc.

I should probably clarify that it is a detached garage.

4. I hide my grow in a closet and use a thin extension cord with multiple sockets so I can plug in the equipment but still close the door

Most people dont even notice or at least dont inquire about it

By the way even one plant during the flowering stage can be pretty smelly so watch out for that

I dont really have much advice for you on keeping things warm other than a heater though, sorry

I know for a small area (especially one that is closed off) the heater I have works pretty well so I would think what youre doing would be adequate

• Like Like x 1