small grow box design, heat, insulation and imaging questions

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by wiltonlong, Jan 18, 2019.

1. If someone had a couple 100w full spectrum with IR LED bulbs that were to be put in a 300x300x600mm box for a single plant grow would...

1. There be much heat coming out of the carbon filter exhaust.

2. Would fibreglass insulation and thin mylar be good to use to lower heat signatures? The in/out fans would be 120mm.

2. Why are you worried about a "heat signature"?

You need to worry about the temp inside the box if you want to grow anything.

3. Are we talking real 100w or 100w equivalent screw in bulbs?

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

4. Been busy dudes.

For some reason I can't paste the spec URL but if you Google LEDTopPlus ZW0190 it will give you the spec.

It appears this light runs around 25c - 45c. I'm thinking you could use mylar for reflection on the inside but have a 1ins air gap the other side to help cool then have fibreglass sheet attached to OSB or MDF on the outer side if the air gap to help conceal heat in an area that's going to be approx 17c.

5. You're overthinking it. 100 watt bulb does not produce enough heat to light up your house with an IR heat signature.

It will tho, produce enough heat to kill your grow if you insulate and seal up a small box with a light in it.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  6. I wouldn't worry about it. Not enough heat there to barely even heat up the room it's in. You have as much to worry about with heat signatures as iguana and fish tank owners. I'd worry bout keeping my plants happy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks for getting back.

Because it would need to be stealth, I assume having a sealed box with airflow in/out would be ok with 120mm fans. One would be the out take fan backing on to some aquarium carbon filter foam.

8. 3 things....

1. its gonna stink
    2. your parents are going to find it
    3. stay in school

• Like Like x 1
  9. Oh they were the days.