small flies

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by sabre61fan, Oct 7, 2006.

1. I have a bunch of small, black flies flying around in my closet. This is my first pest problem. How do I get rid of them?

2. Did you disinfect your closet with bleach and water? That means Floor, Walls and Doors. Are your containers which your growing in clean? Is your house sanitary? Do you have dishes in the sink or laying around or that kind of thing? Fruit laying out? Are your windows closed or do you have screens in them? The first thing I do before starting isn't getting seeds not getting my lights or dirt or containers. I clean my house and my grow area very well. Then everything I bring into my house must be cleaned also and use clean growing medium. I have had brought home dirt with all kinds of bugs crawling around and I didn't use it. These bugs wont be easy to remove. All I can say is clean clean clean. I had a problem like that for 2 months the only thing that worked in ridding these pest was pouring bleach down my drains and covering the drains, not having any trash in my house, scrubbed my counter tops with soft scrub bleach, washing each dish after use, and waiting 2 more months before I would even start one seed. It happend again about a month ago I wont grow indoors right now because every few days I see 1 or 2 little bugs. In about a month or two I hope to start again myself.

Good luck man.

3. :eek: That's a lot of fuckin' cleaning.

4. Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

5. It's like Dr. Pot but then just a bit worse.
    These little flies like to sit in the soil to lay eggs, not just on top of them.
    And if you have a nearby neighbour who's got them too it's damn near impossible.

The good news is that a good healthy plant won't be bothered that much unless things get out of hand.

6. I did clean the closet and pots very well after my last grow and then again before this one started. There was only a week down time. Also my house is clean and there are no flies anywhere else in my house. Only in the closet. Every day there is more and more. I try killing them but they are so fast and small its hard. They came out of nowhere. My plants are 3 weeks old and they just showed up Thursday. Any more advice?

7. thanks youngandstupid, I will have to give it a try.

8. look at your soil do you see bugs on the soil tap the pot, if so you have fungus gnats ....its that time of year read the link "youngandstupid" posted

you will conquer

9. mine didn't get into my soil they never had a chance. they tend to fuck with my dirty dishes and sink and garbage and fresh fruit. even with all that stuff cleaned they still lived off water for a while.

best of luck tho

10. Dr. Pot

I think your flies and sabre61fan's are different species of plants. Yours are most likely fruit flies which like garbage and fruit while sabre16fan's like roots and need to die a quick and everlasting death. They look nearly identical but one is simply annoying and the other can hurt your babies.

11. Yeah your prob right. Indoors I have had minimal pest problems, outdoors is another story altogether. I almost want to introduce some into my Hydro room to see if they can survive on and lay eggs in orchid potting pellets or cubes. If they maybe you want to change up to hydro. I know sounds scary, but it's really easy and saves me 2-4 weeks of growing. If your heart isn't into a serious hydro setup maybe a wick set up would be a acceptable route.