Small brown spots

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by tieme, Oct 20, 2008.

1. ^

Hey everyone,

I have 14 plants. All seedlings. 3 were rerooted after they got too tall to stand up and are turning yellow. I'm guessing they just weren't healthy enough to hold on and make new roots. That I"m alright with but now one of my normally very healthy plants is starting to get brown spots. There are two small brown spots on leaves opposite each other.

I thought *maybe* magnesium but it doesn't look quite right from the pics I've seen. My picture are pretty blurry. Sorry all I have is my phone. Each spot is small, and not really forming on the edge of the leaves. The leaf is kind of twisted at the point that spot is located as if it were shrinking as it browned and twisting the leaf. You can see it looks like there is an indent in the edge of the leaf, it is actually creased up kind of at that point. I am now thinking maybe nute burn (I am running like 1/4 strength in these guys but they might be a little young for that yet). Otherwise it kind of looked like a few spots of calcium deficiency.

Any suggestions here? Should I get some calcium and magnesium additives and try em both out lightly while easing off the nutes?

Click the pictures for a larger image(although you might not see that much more detail).

Thanks much.

o/
    Tieme

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. sounds like your over ferting them mate, they shouldn't need any ferts for about the first 3 weeks just flush them through with ph adjusted water.......(water left in bottles for 24 hours)......don't know what your temps are, but usually curling leaves means heat stress, but I can't tell from the photo............Peace out...........Sid

3. Sid,

Thanks. Pretty sure it isn't heat. It's quite cool and the entire leef is not curling. Only where that brown spot is. I will flush them asap and see if that helps.

o/
    Tieme

4. I flushed them for one day and then resumed with nute strength about 1/3 of what it was at. The more I looked the more it looked like Calcium deficiency. I got some cal-mag and added the recommended dose. It's only been 36 hours since adding the cal-mag.

So far no improvement (not too surprised I guess it hasn't been that long). Will the brown spots fade or is that part of the leaf dead and I should only watch for new brown spots?

The more I read the more things I read could cause it. Iron deficiency...iron poisoning...Mn deficieny...mg deficiency...calcium deficiency...nute burn...

The list seems endless. I have looked all over for pics and cannot seem to find any that match. I'll try to get better pics as soon as I can get a camera.

Another symptom: Some leaves on another plant look kind of splotchy. There are some lighter green patches, almost looking a bit yellow but not quite. Closer to the lime green that you see in the header of the GC pages. The spots are seperated by the veins very distinctly. These symptoms are not on the same plants, so they may be different problems.

Any ideas for right now? Give it more time?

Thanks

o/
    Tieme

5. If it's possibly nut burn, why would you add more nuts when you flushed?

6. are you psychic?....that's exactly what was gonna ask............I'd have said the plants would be waaay to young to be showing a lot of problems......as Unoit all told me.....K.I.S.S......Keep It Simple Stupid

you don't need a lot of fert, this young, you don't need any at all.........and when flushing to fix any problems, you can't just add the problem straight back in afterwards..........you might end up killing them.......

if they were falling over, chances are your lights aren't powerfull enough, or close enough........or both...........what lights do you have on them?....HPS, MH, what wattage etc?....height from the top of the plants to the light........under my sig is a growguide, read the lighting section..........

In the meantime, I'd flush them again, and add nothing for a few days....like 4-5....apart from water if they need it.......remember and ph adjust your water........ and see how they are.

Peace out...........Sid

7. The stretching was due to insufficient/distant lighting. I have them on 80w of t12's until I get my LEDs in.

Because if it's not nute burn and it's a deficiency then cutting their nutes will kill them faster. Half strength with the cal-mag added seemed to be a good compromise. The pictures I've seen online, the calcium deficiency looked closer than the nute burn and the solution is only at like %12 strength so nute burn seemed unlikely.

I'll flush them right now but would love if you guys could comment if you STILL think it's nute burn even with such a dilute solution.

Thanks a lot!

o/
    Tieme