small black flies

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by elliotgreen, Jun 2, 2017.

1. i noticed these small black flies almost instantly after moving her outside and they had been laying eggs so i decided to start using neem oil i have sprayed twice once on sunday and once again yesterday. It doesn't seem to be getting rid of them any ideas what i should do?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Fungus gnats

3. They're crawling on/in the soil yeah? Flys at your face sometimes?

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 elliotgreen, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    i have only noticed them all over the leaves there was only around 10 now they have multiplied and there's probably around 60. how do i get rid of the bastards

5. Look at the soil and tell me if you see any crawling around, also look around the drainage holes on the bottom of the pot.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ok just went and checked and was lookong really hard in the soil for some and couldnt spot them anywhere. at the bottom of the pot all i could see was roots and soil. i took the microscope with me and managed to get some pretty clear pictures....

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

7. Wow nice pics. Yeah 100% fungus gnats. I'll get you a link to a good site that will tell you everything about them, one sec.

8. i know im surprised how good the lens out of a laser pen can work as a microscope for a phone camera lol and ok cheers mate

9. it mentions the main way to get rid of them is letting soil dry out properly but its hard to let soil dry out when it rains every other day in england any suggestions?

10. I'm an indoor grower, can't help you out with that, sorry. That won't really get rid of them tho, it will only help to prevent them, you'll soon have hundreds of them if you don't kill the larvae..not to worry you lol.

• Like Like x 1
  11. If you hadn't been listening to all these other growers waste your time, you could have gotten rid of the problem easy with a basic insecticide.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  12. what insecticide should i use?

13. Excuse me?

14. @elliotgreen Always check members profiles before taking any advice. You'll see that he just signed up.
    Never treat a pest problem if you don't know what it is. For example: the reason you keep seeing more is that they lay eggs in moist soil. That's why I asked you to look at the soil and drainage holes. They have a lifespan of about a week I believe, so it's not really the adults that you need to take care of, it's the eggs/larvae in the soil that will end up feeding on the roots of your plant.
    I asked if they fly towards your face because they fly towards the co2 when you exhale.
    You can use yellow or orange pieces of paper, smear a thin layer of Vaseline on them and place them on the ground near the plant if you want proof that they're fungus gnats/catch a few, or wait for soil to dry and place a slice of a raw potato on the soil and see what happens.
    If you treat the plant and not the soil you will never get rid of them and they will destroy the plants root system, eventually killing it.
    There are a number of methods to get rid of them (I'm sure the link I listed mentions them), and if you treat it quickly it shouldn't be much of a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ahh i see my bad. you're advice was helpful to me i checked the link out and am going to take the steps they gave to hopefully get rid of them. thanks

• Like Like x 1